• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live Bass Control with mixed subwoofers

Joaquinín

I have a doubt related to this subject. DLBC for PC creates a discrete channel output for every subwoofer. My problem is: How is the LFE channel integrated with that? It seems as if I need another subwoofer just for the LFE channel, independent from those channels used for BM?

andrew

But volume is not the only relevant variable. As long as you have enough of it, there is no issue. If you have enough, extension is more important. Earl Geddes recommends one big sub in the front corner, primarily for the deepest frequencies, and two smaller ones in the back and on the side, and that is what I did. In my case, I think the smallest one on the side is perhaps a bit too small, but I shall see what happens if I increase its volume. If that does not work I shall have to add another one on the opposite side.
Just reading this thread as I embark on MSO with a couple of large subs and a smaller sub (with less extension and higher distortion for a given volume).

What is meant by the phrase ‘…. If you have enough, then extension is more important’?

Also, I’ve always followed Geddes recommendations in terms of sub placement with the most capable sub in the front corner. I wonder, though, if this is still the right approach when using DLBC or MSO. Is there not a case to put the least capable sub in the spot with the best room gain given that these algorithms start with levelling the subwoofer output?

Willem

Major Contributor
What is meant by the phrase ‘…. If you have enough, then extension is more important’?
I meant that if you have enough subwoofer volume compared to the main speakers, the remaining challenges are extension and smoothness.

Top Bottom