• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital Volume Infinite Encoders slow and need many rotations. Why is that?

MAB

Major Contributor
Hi there.
I know by now that the Flex has a 20 step encoder. Its no wonder resolution is low.
To the „safety“ measures i literally and honestly never had issues or broke sweat over volume regulation until digital came.
I also have never damaged a speaker in my life cause i messed up the volume or something. To be honest i feel like taking crazy pills having to
discuss (not with you , talking in general) that i simply want a Volume control that behaves like any analog amplifier or Preamplifier and people explain to me
that it is a weird thing.
I am not here trying to convince others. As i said to another member , i ordered an Spl 2 Volume and decided that compared to the current state of the volume on the Flex
i could not care less about loosing 3% quality cause of going through obsolete (for some) analog hardware.
There are many things Digital does better but this volume implementation is not there yet and maybe never will cause i seem to be the only one
wishing it was different.
So i gave up . No biggie :) Thats why i don`t check in that frequently here anymore.
Also i am only speaking for my self. Not saying others are wrong.

That said, have a nice evening and thanks for tuning in.
It's a fair request. I think the state of volume controls could improve. Error trapping and good user interface (like asymmetric velocity sensitivity, muting or gain reduction while input-selecting, etc.) are important, even if you (and I) haven't destroyed any downstream gear due to these common foibles. Many are very risky, and not well error trapped, and have a poor remote control to make things worse. A finer encoder would make this seven more important safeguard against fumble fingers. I had a high-dollar Sonic Frontiers preamp that had a great encoder/volume control, including the feel. I like the volume control on my Apt Holman even better. So I get it. Perhaps the focus on desktop systems with DAC as the preamp have made these encoders commonplace and more suited to driving headphones, or whatever...

It's not a weird thing. I think you are not the only one. I believe cost may get in the way just a bit, but have to think a decent volume is doable... (perhaps with configurable response, like mute or decrease on input-switch, asymmetric velocity sensitivity, error trap to zero gain in case of power interrupt, etc.)

OP
D

DrSpan

No,no joke at all,it's a log one,imagine that it's unity is at about 2'o clock.
It's part of a pre that can output about 10V,is big,heavy,smooth and motorized.

I think it's a "blue velvet" one?

But people do think analog pot like I said above,probably thinking about the cheap,scratchy ones.
All good my friend.
Its a vast place this internet. Easy to sometimes not understand when everything is based on short text passages.

10v? Sounds like Pro-Studio equipment? What Preamp are you talking about? It got me curious now

OP
D

DrSpan

It's a fair request. I think the state of volume controls could improve. Error trapping and good user interface (like asymmetric velocity sensitivity, muting or gain reduction while input-selecting, etc.) are important, even if you (and I) haven't destroyed any downstream gear due to these common foibles. Many are very risky, and not well error trapped, and have a poor remote control to make things worse. A finer encoder would make this seven more important safeguard against fumble fingers. I had a high-dollar Sonic Frontiers preamp that had a great encoder/volume control, including the feel. I like the volume control on my Apt Holman even better. So I get it. Perhaps the focus on desktop systems with DAC as the preamp have made these encoders commonplace and more suited to driving headphones, or whatever...

It's not a weird thing. I think you are not the only one. I believe cost may get in the way just a bit, but have to think a decent volume is doable... (perhaps with configurable response, like mute or decrease on input-switch, asymmetric velocity sensitivity, error trap to zero gain in case of power interrupt, etc.)
I hear you.
Yes i agree. Also i am aware that you can`t have everyone happy at the same time. I think it is very difficult and in most cases even impossible
for someone to understand how helpful a good volume control is in Mixing if they are not involved in something similar. On the other hand i also understand that doing everything from a couch using a remote is very comfortable and easy.
Let`s see what comes next.

Sokel

Master Contributor
All good my friend.
Its a vast place this internet. Easy to sometimes not understand when everything is based on short text passages.

10v? Sounds like Pro-Studio equipment? What Preamp are you talking about? It got me curious now
No,no pro,just an old pre,about 40 Ohm output resistance,lots of I/O,sadly no tone controls.
Generous output of course so can drive any power amp I want.

Top Bottom