• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital Signal from MiniDSP SHD to Adam Audio S3V

robithinker

I purchased two Adam Audio S3Vs in July 2023. Last week one of the monitors began having a popping sound, even when it was only plugged into the mains. After resetting and trying other things to fix it, I came to the conclusion that it must be a problem with the amplifier. The took a video and sent it to the store where I bought it and they agreed. The monitor will be picked up and repaired.

I am concerned that a monitor that has been in use for nine months already has a hardware failure so I have been thinking about other potential causes. The signal chain is Apple TV -> Sony TV -> MiniDSP SHD via Toslink -> S3V via SPDIF/AES impedance transformer (see pic). When I first installed the transformer, I had a hard time getting the SPDIF connected. At some point the collar into which I inserted the SPDIF cable turned, and I remember thinking, "That may not be good, I don't think this is supposed to turn."

My questions are as follows:
1. Is it possible that I broke the transformer and that the signal being sent is not actually being transformed?
2. If so, could the signal arrive at the S3V as 75ohms instead of 110ohms and damage the S3V?
3. Can I not just remove the transformer and buy a SPDIF to AES cable (rated at 110ohm) to connect the MiniDSP SHD to the S3V?

SPDIF-AES converter.jpg

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
A wrong characteristic cable impedance cannot break the speaker. At most you'll get a poor signal.

Yes you can try connecting the SHD straight to the Adams without an impedance transformer. In most cases, it'll work fine.

Top Bottom