• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital Music Players

Musichead

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone have any experience using digital music players? If so, may I get your opinion on if they provide hi- res music and if you can recommend a player?.. are they better than iPhones etc

Thanks in advance

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Has anyone have any experience using digital music players?
Could you give an example of the type product your talking about, I'm not sure I understand?

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
They are commonly known as DAP for Digital Audio Player. If you search here you will find several reviews. I was given a Shanling M0 which can handle sample rates above 44kHz. I've been pleased with it.

OP
M

Musichead

Could you give an example of the type product your talking about, I'm not sure I understand?
Yes, sorry I should’ve put some examples in my post - Astell & Kern, Sony digital walkmans, Fiio etc

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Ah, the little portable ones.
I've used a couple variations on Sansa Clips + over the years, they're great.
But maybe not the quality product the OP is asking about.

staticV3

Master Contributor
DAPs can provide Hi-Res music, yes.

Recommendations would depend on OP's budget.

I'd avoid A&K. Overpriced junk with poor engineering.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
If you use search and enter DAP, you will find a lot of useful suggestions. e.g.

etc.

Jimshoe

I have a Sony NW-ZX300. Lovely build (single piece of aluminium, great connectors etc) but nothing special at all in terms of audio quality. I use it occasionally on flights etc but the quality of iPhones etc means they are just a fad to me. Save your money.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
In terms of sound quality it is doubtful if you would hear much of a difference from the DAC inside. What DOES make a difference to sound quality is the amplifier output voltage. Even then, this only matters if your headphones have poor sensitivity.

When I choose a DAP, I have other considerations besides sound quality: storage, battery life, interface, extra features (like streaming), size and weight, build quality, price, etc. Only you can decide these things.

OldTimer

For almost 10 years, haven’t found any problems, I’m using Cayin N3. Can also be used as Bluetooth DAC so I can use my IEM to the iphone.

Top Bottom