• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital audio quality of modern Android Devices via USB-output from hi-res sources?

GWHphoto

Following this with interest. Have a high quality DAC with USB-B input that is part of my integrated amplifier.

Phone is Samsung Z Fold 4. Android 13 with most recent updates. Apps are Apple Music and Apple Classical, Tidal and Qobuz. I have installed USB Audio Player Pro and have bought a quality USB-C to USB-B cable.

Now, how do I get going? I am somewhat new to this. This will be for using the streaming services only, for now. Do I start them from within the USP Audio Player Pro app? I see that Tidal and Qobuz show up in the USB Audio Player App. Apple music apps do not. How do I link my Apple Music Apps to the USB Audio Player App? And, how will I know if I am getting bit perfect native resolution output to the DAC?

Thanks!!

MRC01

Major Contributor
The funny thing is most of qobuz + uapp bit perfect are 48kz without the MQA license ,...
That depends on what you're listening to. Qobuz streams whatever the studios or music owners provide, lossless in its native format. Most of the catalog is 44-16 CD standard. Most modern classical music is 96-24 or 192-24.
I haven't encountered MQA with Qobuz and I don't have any MQA decoder.

Another reason I like Qobuz is because UAPP supports it, so I can play lossless bit perfect from my phone. And Qobuz is the only service that streams high def FLAC in a browser. All the other services downsample it or convert it when playing in a browser, and you need their proprietary app to get bit perfect.

staticV3

Master Contributor
How do I link my Apple Music Apps to the USB Audio Player App?
On Android, you cannot play Apple Music via UAPP, nor via any other music player that isn't the native Apple Music App.

And, how will I know if I am getting bit perfect native resolution output to the DAC?
You cannot transmit Apple Music bit-perfect on Android, until Apple adds that functionality natively to their App (something that Google is making easier to implement with Android 14).

antikryst

anyone having issues with a modern samsung phone + DAC exlusive mode? i initially thought it was a UAPP issue. ive tried other apps as well that has exclusive mode and sometimes music just stutters or cuts off.

i have 2 samsung phones and it happens to both. (s23 ultra, a33 from 2022 i think). also tried UAPP, hiby music, fiio music app, poweramp. issue persists on my topping G5 and other dongles.

now im thinking that this is a samsung issue.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Using my Moto G7P as an audio source with UAPP, it will play for hours without a glitch into 2 different DACs.
Sometimes you need to tweak the UAPP settings for buffering, process priority, etc. It has a gazillion settings since so many different Android devices work differently under the covers.

antikryst

Using my Moto G7P as an audio source with UAPP, it will play for hours without a glitch into 2 different DACs.
Sometimes you need to tweak the UAPP settings for buffering, process priority, etc. It has a gazillion settings since so many different Android devices work differently under the covers.

yeah never had problems with my oneplus 8 pro. that is why im asking samsung users :p

JLGF1

You might also test with Neutron.

I rarely have any issues on Moto with either one on USB. They are both Android bypass players, of course.

Top Bottom