• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Differences between HiFiMan 400 series headphones

SiW

What is the actual difference between the HE-400, 400i and 400s versions?

Then what’s the difference between these and the Massdrop HE-4XX?

If you were buying used, which version is best to aim for?

Confused on what the actual difference is and if there is any actual difference in performance between all these versions.

Cheers!

Simon

PS: I’m UK based if your looking to sell ;)

Tircuit

Forum Donor
I recommend buying new, from Amazon Prime if possible. My HE-400i headphones are my favorite headphones, but I went through 2 HE-400S and 2 HE-400i headphones before getting a pair without a rattle, channel imbalance, or buzzing bass. Being able to exchange easily was critical. I recommend testing these things on any headphones you buy.

I've only tried the 400s and 400i variants. The S is easier to drive and maybe a bit smoother. The 400i has a couple more peaks in the highs that make it sound better to me, harsh to others. I feel like the 400s are more fragile because both of the pairs I has developed a rattle when playing bass, but that's just anecdotal.

I found leather or vinyl pads boosted the bass on both. They sound better after 50 hours or so. Not sure if that's a diaphram loosening up or my brain adapting.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What is the actual difference between the HE-400, 400i and 400s versions?

Then what’s the difference between these and the Massdrop HE-4XX?

If you were buying used, which version is best to aim for?

Confused on what the actual difference is and if there is any actual difference in performance between all these versions.

Cheers!

Simon

PS: I’m UK based if your looking to sell ;)

Below HE400i
he400i-fr.png

Below HE400S
fr-he400-s.png

HE400S vs HE400i
fr-he400i-vs-he400s.png

The HE4xx and HE400i are nearly the same.

The 400S has less bass but are a bit more neutral
The 400i has a little bit more bass and somewhat more 'laid back' as in relatively missing some upper clarity.
Both have a treble peak which annoys some folks but others are not bothered by it.
The 400i has a bit too less bass/foundation to me. The 400S even more so.
The Sundara is closer to the 400i and HE560 than the HE400S

AresHarvest

4xx has more bass quantity than 400i https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/187884587408424961/342443896971984907/output.png

The low end extension shown by the 400i doesn't make up for the lack of a low-end "bump" in my opinion. But they're still very nice to listen to.

Not shown in the graph is what I perceive to be a slight decrease in bass quality in the 4xx vs 400i. Slightly higher distortion, but still nowhere near the amount you would find in most "hi-fi" headphones. I also find the 400i headband to be more comfortable, though it is not known for its durability.

OP
S

SiW

Thanks for the pointers :)

ABH

400i 2020- more forward, but needs more power to drive properly. Still can run on tablets and mobile phones.
400se - more neutral, but seemed more details and easier to drive in comparison. I prefer the character better...

Top Bottom