• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Differences between HD598 and HD599?

lc155

Hi,

Been doing googling for a couple of days on this topic myself, as I was curious. Bit of backstory: I already have higher end headphones like the H400i, HD58x, and HD650. However, I was looking for something with a bit more durability for impromptu times when I'd need to just throw a pair of headphones on for stretches of time (such as calls), and for just more casual listening. The higher end headphones are indeed very nice but I tend to baby those things, and so they don't come out often unless I'm specifically wanting to listen to music, so yeah, something a bit more casual would be nice.

I tried out the M40x but am not impressed by the hype these have. -1 soundstage, bloomy bass, very v shaped and not neutral at all, and they're not very comfortable at all. Coiled cable is great though - I'll give it that much.

In the late 2000s I had a pair of HD 595s that I liked a lot and would wear all the time back then; I remember them fondly. They sounded great and were extremely comfortable, like a cloud floating on your head. Perfect for 24/7 usage. Ended up selling them when I moved up to the HD650 a few years later and I guess I sort of always regretted that decision after (or perhaps this is just rose tinted glasses speaking?).

After the disappointment of the M40x I looked into the HD5 series again and see we are now at the HD599, but things get confusing. There appears to be some tuning differences from the HD598 to the HD599, mostly in the bass it appears. Some people say that they sound practically identical and you have to really concentrate to notice any difference at all (more bass, slightly less soundstage due to more forward vocals and better mids, better imaging). Others say that the differences are much greater, like night and day, and they don't sound the same at all. I know @solderdude has a website where he does detailed measurements, but he has only tackled the HD599 and I don't see anything for the HD598, so no comparisons there based on frequency graphs.

So, in terms of a true successor to the HD595, is that the HD598, or the 599? Are they basically the same, or are the differences really that noticeable? I'm pretty unsure of which one to grab and try so far.

As a side question, I have also heard (and seen) that the HD 599 (and 598) are some of the most sensitive headphones out there when it comes to impedance mismatch. They loathe anything above a few ohms. Was this true of the HD 595 as well, or is it a recent phenomenon in the series? I figure in most instances it shouldn't be a problem as good SS amps are nearly all low impedance and portable device outputs should be designed with low impedance IEMs and the like in mind too, I'm just curious if this was a long-standing problem or not.

Thanks.

Last edited:

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have the HD558 (with black rubber tape removed).
Anyway, looks like you can get some used HD598, for just over $100, on eBay.
I say go for that.

OP
L

lc155

I have the HD558 (with black rubber tape removed).
Anyway, looks like you can get some used HD598, for just over $100, on eBay.
I say go for that.

I'm not typically one to buy used, just a personal preference thing!

I can still get some HD598s brand new which is why I posed the question. I will say one thing though - I really hate the new logo on metal design of the HD599. The grille of the HD598 looks a lot sexier.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have and use the HD 598SR for several hours per day near daily. My understanding is the 599 and the 598 are the same with colour differences and differences in the band that goes over the head. The HD 598SR version comes with a 6.3-mm-to-3.5-mm adaptor and two detachable cables. One cable is a 3-m cable with a 6.3-mm jack to connect to your home entertainment system. The other is a 1.2-m cable with a 3.5 mm plug for use with portable devices, which also features an in-line remote and microphone for managing your music and making phone calls. The cable is not micro-phonic in any way and they are so comfortable that I have forgotten that I am wearing them and caught myself nearly walking away from the PC with them still plugged in and on my head. I am not aware of the USA prices but in Canada they retail for $300.00 and Amazon.ca sells them for $200.00 everyday and on super sale days for $99.00

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-SR-Open-Back/dp/B06WRMZZ45

https://en-ca.sennheiser.com/headphone-home-audio-hifi-stereo-hd-598sr

matt3421

HD598:

Screenshot_2020-06-14 Sennheiser HD598SR pdf.png

HD 599:

Screenshot_2020-06-14 Sennheiser HD599 (preliminary) pdf.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So, in terms of a true successor to the HD595, is that the HD598, or the 599? Are they basically the same, or are the differences really that noticeable? I'm pretty unsure of which one to grab and try so far.

As a side question, I have also heard (and seen) that the HD 599 (and 598) are some of the most sensitive headphones out there when it comes to impedance mismatch. They loathe anything above a few ohms. Was this true of the HD 595 as well, or is it a recent phenomenon in the series? I figure in most instances it shouldn't be a problem as good SS amps are nearly all low impedance and portable device outputs should be designed with low impedance IEMs and the like in mind too, I'm just curious if this was a long-standing problem or not.

Same bass and mids. The 598 has a tiny bit more pronounced highs.

These headphones need indeed a source with an output resistance below 10 Ohm.

3125b

Major Contributor
with a bit more durability
I always thought they felt pretty flimsy, though I never had one and therefor don't know if they really are.
They do however have their upsides. Easy to drive, comfortable, non-tiring allrounder sounding, modular cable - and cheap over here, they can occasionaly be had for 100€ new, wich is not bad at all.
The 599 should sound less bright, both could use a little more bass extension for my liking.

OP
L

lc155

Same bass and mids. The 598 has a tiny bit more pronounced highs.

These headphones need indeed a source with an output resistance below 10 Ohm.

That's pretty interesting, as I often hear the main thing about the HD599 is the greater bass extension and slightly lower soundstage. Is that literally just because of slightly tamed highs affecting perception of the other ranges that much? It is definitely hard to get an accurate picture when some say the differences are tiny, and others make them sound huge (like from masses of soundstage in the 598 to none in the 599, lol).

Have you tried both?

I always thought they felt pretty flimsy, though I never had one and therefor don't know if they really are.
They do however have their upsides. Easy to drive, comfortable, non-tiring allrounder sounding, modular cable - and cheap over here, they can occasionaly be had for 100€ new, wich is not bad at all.
The 599 should sound less bright, both could use a little more bass extension for my liking.

They do seem flimsy due to the all plastic construction but it is a damn good plastic, from my experience with the 595. I've never seen someone actually break the shell, if it dies it's always a technical fault.

And yeah, I'll probably wait for another Amazon sale on them if I decide on the 599s.

100rounddrum

The whole HD5x line sounds exactly the same and is build identically, just pick the cheapest one.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
OP
L

lc155

Yeah, I'm not after a closed back. The 598CS is quite the polarising headphone with people because it seems Sennheiser just took their open back designed drivers, slapped them in a closed back and called it a day.

Clearly, that doesn't seem to be the best way to design a closed back. I'll stick with the opens, I think.

The 598CS is closed and does sound different.
It has more bass extension though.

My opinion on the HD599

I did read that, and I take it you see the 5xx series as all basically the same when you recommended the other 598 and 579 based on the colour choices at the summary point.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 598CS is closed and does sound different.
It has more bass extension though.

My opinion on the HD599

I owned 599's and strongly agree with the very last line in @solderdude's review. I was constantly disappointed by their lack of bass. I sold them to move up to DT1990 Pros with which I was quite happy. (But I subsequently sold them to move up to LCD-3 with which I am very happy.)

Martin

Top Bottom