• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Differences between amps at different price points/types of amps/bangbuck/high end/tube/portable/lesser known/DIY

illusineer

I am not a very wealthy guy, however I have a lot of curiosity about amps (mostly in use with hd650) and they're differences on different price points/types. it's a new rabbit hole for me to leap into. i have been looking at small portable amp/dac around $100 like btr5, es100, desktop magni3 & modi3 for around $100 more than portable, then there's tube amplifiers like darkvoice 336, little dot 3, then there's bottlehead, which to me looks like its from another world. from them there is bottlehead crack, crackatowa, mainline 1.1, where price jumps a lot higher, that, and you have to build it and you supposedly pay less because it is not preassembled. there is so much to look at, it's overwhelming for someone like me who likes good sounding audio. i can appreciate audio that sounds REALLY good, i think anyone can. there is so much conflicting information, marketing, different personal experiences with hardware. at some point I feel like it's easier just to throw a dart and get what my intuition tells me is the best, which is pointing me towards getting something from bottlehead tbh(cuz im getting something that i'm going to be using for a loooong time). does the price increase of amps = the quality of sound they can produce, from what i mentioned above? or just similar electronics in different enclosures? would I be paying more or less if I sourced the parts for something that produces the same audio as a bottlehead amp myself?

Top Bottom