• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did you audition nc500 vs nc500mp or nc502"

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you know if they plan to add this configuration to their standard offerings on the website?
The price difference is pretty big there. Was it 750 € with or without tax?
I don't live in Europe so my price is without VAT, as I had to pay customs in my country.
I don't know if they plan to add this "mini" NC502MP to their regular product line, better ask Tibor ( @Apollon Audio ).

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Oi @Matias, you listen to Barenboim playing Mi Buenos Aires Querido while me, an Argentinean, listen to Caetano Veloso in Vuelvo al Sur in my Nord NC500....Who would have thought?

yyzsb

@Matias I have followed your posts on the Thiel CS3.7 for a while since I am a big fan of the speaker. I purchased the speaker a few weeks ago and I am trying to get proper amplification for them. I currently have a single Benchmark AHB2 in my all Benchmark stack and the amp is not making me happy on music that is dynamic or powerful. It sounds much better on non-thumping music. I love this amp on my KEF LS50's but no so much on the Thiel CS3.7. Getting 2 AHB2 to run in mono is not a good choice for the CS3.7 (the 2.7 Ohm impedance).

Would be able to answer a Thiel CS3.7 question for me? Out of the permutations listed below which configuration would you take for your Thiel CS3.7?

(8 Ohms | 4 Ohms | 2 Ohms):
  • V1 150 watts w/18 watts pure class A (150 | 300 | 600)
  • V2 250 watts w/12 watts pure class A (250 | 500 | 1000)
  • V3 350 watts w/8 watts pure class A (350 | 700 | 1400)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Matias I have followed your posts on the Thiel CS3.7 for a while since I am a big fan of the speaker. I purchased the speaker a few weeks ago and I am trying to get proper amplification for them. I currently have a single Benchmark AHB2 in my all Benchmark stack and the amp is not making me happy on music that is dynamic or powerful. It sounds much better on non-thumping music. I love this amp on my KEF LS50's but no so much on the Thiel CS3.7. Getting 2 AHB2 to run in mono is not a good choice for the CS3.7 (the 2.7 Ohm impedance).

Would be able to answer a Thiel CS3.7 question for me? Out of the permutations listed below which configuration would you take for your Thiel CS3.7?

(8 Ohms | 4 Ohms | 2 Ohms):
  • V1 150 watts w/18 watts pure class A (150 | 300 | 600)
  • V2 250 watts w/12 watts pure class A (250 | 500 | 1000)
  • V3 350 watts w/8 watts pure class A (350 | 700 | 1400)
Hi congrats on your speaker! I love mine too.

Tough question though. Out of the 3 hypothetical amps I think I would choose V1, as the power is quite high (around 500W in the 2.7 ohms), and having a higher bias in class A makes for more of the music running in class A without class AB crossover distortion, so lower distortion.

But I have moved to class D and there is no class A bias in my amps anymore, just lots of power with lowest distortion, light and cool. I suggest you try the same with a vendor that allows home trials. Our speakers are current hungry, and the Hypex NCore NC500 is working great here, listening to the new Norah Jones album on them right now as I type this. But maybe you can try going to NC1200 instead for more power, or wait and see when Purifi releases its more powerful amp module.

Good luck, let me know what you chose. :)

yyzsb

Hi congrats on your speaker! I love mine too.

Tough question though. Out of the 3 hypothetical amps I think I would choose V1, as the power is quite high (around 500W in the 2.7 ohms), and having a higher bias in class A makes for more of the music running in class A without class AB crossover distortion, so lower distortion.

But I have moved to class D and there is no class A bias in my amps anymore, just lots of power with lowest distortion, light and cool. I suggest you try the same with a vendor that allows home trials. Our speakers are current hungry, and the Hypex NCore NC500 is working great here, listening to the new Norah Jones album on them right now as I type this. But maybe you can try going to NC1200 instead for more power, or wait and see when Purifi releases its more powerful amp module.

Good luck, let me know what you chose. :)

Thanks.

The 3 choices I listed were for the Coda #8 amp. It comes in 3 versions. The consensus seems to be to go for V1 with more Class A. If Purifi had a more powerful amp at 2 Ohms I would give that a serious consideration. The current Purifi module does not seem to be an improvement over the AHB2. I was hoping to use the AHB2 in mono with another more AHB2 friendly speaker, but the CS3.7 was a last minute change of heart. I am keeping the AHB2 to use with the Thiel but only of certain music.

I recently sold my Peachtree Nova 150 which is Class D. I want to check out Purifi if I go back to Class D.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks.

The 3 choices I listed were for the Coda #8 amp. It comes in 3 versions. The consensus seems to be to go for V1 with more Class A. If Purifi had a more powerful amp at 2 Ohms I would give that a serious consideration. The current Purifi module does not seem to be an improvement over the AHB2. I was hoping to use the AHB2 in mono with another more AHB2 friendly speaker, but the CS3.7 was a last minute change of heart. I am keeping the AHB2 to use with the Thiel but only of certain music.

I recently sold my Peachtree Nova 150 which is Class D. I want to check out Purifi if I go back to Class D.
There is also the unique implementation of bridged Purifi modules of the Vera amplifiers. Tons of power too.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...io-class-d-amp-build-quality.9895/post-438649

I am waiting for the new Purifi amp modules to be released and then decide my end game amp.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have any info on that or just speculation?
Audioxpress magazine 07-2020 reported this on their factory visit: Purifi is working on a high voltage 40A module which should have similar power specs to NC1200, but also a bridged version so 400W, 1kW and 2kW. :)

Last edited:

John1959

Audioxpress magazine 07-2020 reported this on their factory visit: Purifi is working on a high voltage 40A module which should have similar power specs to NC1200, but also a bridged version so 400W, 1kW and 2kW. :)
I have read somewhere, quite some time ago, that Purifi is also in the process to design their own switching power supply instead of the Hypex SMPS1200A400 which has been used in their prototypes and is still used by most current buyers of the Purifi modules.

Though the Hypex SMPS1200A400 works fine and the Purifi module is designed to be not that sensitive about the quality of the power supply I think it would be still interesting to see a PS by their own.

yyzsb

I did a repair on my COAX driver today. The seller of my CS3.7 speaker had replaced the old COAX with a new on from Rob Gillum of Coherent Source, so it was an official Thiel driver. The seller unfortunately soldered the wires out-of-phase. I had a speaker tech come to my house today to flip the wires. Well after that change, I have to take back my comment about the AHB2 not cutting it with the CS3.7. It sounds great today after the fix. Just fast, dynamic, exciting sound, with good thump. I have a small room so I am not asking the AHB2 to fill a huge space.

That AHB2 is a brilliant amp. I have an all Benchmark chain including their wires.

In the future, I want to try an second amp that can deliver tons of power at 2 Ohms but the AHB2 will a permanent fixture now in my system .

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Matias What vendor are you targeting for your future Purifi amps?
I would probably keep buying Apollon, would be my 3rd amp. I'm a fan of their builds. :)

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company

ivo.f.doma

[QUOTE = "Matias, príspevok: 494190, člen: 5265"] Ahoj John, chvíľu mi to trvalo, ale nakoniec som mal čas na nastavenie vlastného zosilňovača Apollon založeného na Hypex NCore NC502MP v mojom hlavnom systéme.

Krátka verzia (test so zrakom, iba ja): NC502MP znie úžasne, mimoriadne odhaľujúco a výkonne. Len veľmi ťažko by som mu nasmeroval miesto rezidentného hlavného zosilňovača založeného na zosilňovači NC500 Sparkos SS2590 v slepom teste. Veľmi odporúčam. Je to také dobré!

Moje reproduktory sú Thiel CS3.7, veľké, ťažké, koaxiálne a trojpásmové, s veľmi nízkou impedanciou 2,7 ohmov cez väčšinu svojho frekvenčného rozsahu. Takže veľmi súčasný hladný rečník a akýsi test mučenia sám o sebe pre malý modul. Zdrojom je fantastický predzosilňovač Mola Mola Makua s DAC, streamovaný cez ultraRendu a plne kalibrovaná korekcia miestnosti pre každý reproduktor zvlášť . Zosilňovač je pripojený k sieti 230V / 60Hz.

Počúvanie elektronickej hudby ako „ATB - No Silence“ alebo „Daft Punk - Random Access Memories“, hlasné pre susedov, aby bolo počuť, stále čisté a jasné, otvorená zvuková kulisa, presné zobrazovanie, basy v absolútnej kontrole. Alebo počúvajte dobre nahranú hudbu ako „Jacques Loussier Trio - Best of Play Bach“ v normálnej hlasitosti alebo „Baremboim, Mederos, Console - Mi Buenos Aires Querido“ alebo „Bobo Stenson Trio - Contra La Indecisión“, znie to prirodzene a realisticky. Skutočne zapojený so ziskom, vypadne z cesty v štýle zosilňovania. Očakával som, že NC502MP bude o krok nižšie od hlavného zosilňovača založeného na NC500, ale nie, sú skutočne na rovnakej úrovni. Úžasné rovnako ako jeho starší brat, ale stojí zlomok ceny.

Je skutočne úžasné, ako to všetko dokáže taká malá doska zosilňovača. Pod vnútornou časťou môjho zosilňovača Apollon (750 eur), veľmi pekná montáž.

View attachment 79598[/ QUOTE]
Ahoj. Tiež by ma zaujímal zosilňovač založený na nc502mp. Aký citlivý je váš Apollon? Chcem to prevádzkovať ako predné kanály na AVR.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
[QUOTE = "Matias, príspevok: 494190, člen: 5265"] Ahoj John, chvíľu mi to trvalo, ale nakoniec som mal čas na nastavenie vlastného zosilňovača Apollon založeného na Hypex NCore NC502MP v mojom hlavnom systéme.

Krátka verzia (test so zrakom, iba ja): NC502MP znie úžasne, mimoriadne odhaľujúco a výkonne. Len veľmi ťažko by som mu nasmeroval miesto rezidentného hlavného zosilňovača založeného na zosilňovači NC500 Sparkos SS2590 v slepom teste. Veľmi odporúčam. Je to také dobré!

Moje reproduktory sú Thiel CS3.7, veľké, ťažké, koaxiálne a trojpásmové, s veľmi nízkou impedanciou 2,7 ohmov cez väčšinu svojho frekvenčného rozsahu. Takže veľmi súčasný hladný rečník a akýsi test mučenia sám o sebe pre malý modul. Zdrojom je fantastický predzosilňovač Mola Mola Makua s DAC, streamovaný cez ultraRendu a plne kalibrovaná korekcia miestnosti pre každý reproduktor zvlášť . Zosilňovač je pripojený k sieti 230V / 60Hz.

Počúvanie elektronickej hudby ako „ATB - No Silence“ alebo „Daft Punk - Random Access Memories“, hlasné pre susedov, aby bolo počuť, stále čisté a jasné, otvorená zvuková kulisa, presné zobrazovanie, basy v absolútnej kontrole. Alebo počúvajte dobre nahranú hudbu ako „Jacques Loussier Trio - Best of Play Bach“ v normálnej hlasitosti alebo „Baremboim, Mederos, Console - Mi Buenos Aires Querido“ alebo „Bobo Stenson Trio - Contra La Indecisión“, znie to prirodzene a realisticky. Skutočne zapojený so ziskom, vypadne z cesty v štýle zosilňovania. Očakával som, že NC502MP bude o krok nižšie od hlavného zosilňovača založeného na NC500, ale nie, sú skutočne na rovnakej úrovni. Úžasné rovnako ako jeho starší brat, ale stojí zlomok ceny.

Je skutočne úžasné, ako to všetko dokáže taká malá doska zosilňovača. Pod vnútornou časťou môjho zosilňovača Apollon (750 eur), veľmi pekná montáž.

View attachment 79598[/ QUOTE]
Ahoj. Tiež by ma zaujímal zosilňovač založený na nc502mp. Aký citlivý je váš Apollon? Chcem to prevádzkovať ako predné kanály na AVR.
"Hi. I would also be interested in an amplifier based on nc502mp. How sensitive is your Apollon? I want to operate it as front channels on the AVR."

Hi, the Hypex NCore NC502MP module has a gain of 25.6. For full power 500W in 4 ohms it requires 2.35V RMS = 3.32V peak = 9.63 dBu. It is all written in the datasheet.
https://www.hypex.nl/documenten/download/911

PS: would be better if you post in English, just use an auto-translator if needed.
http://translate.google.com

ivo.f.doma

OK. Google translate translated it twice. :) Other manufacturers insert operation amplifiers at the input and have the same gain ... For example, Audiophonix has a small printed circuit board at the input of the same amplifier.

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OK. Google translate translated it twice. :) Other manufacturers insert operation amplifiers at the input and have the same gain ... For example, Audiophonix has a small printed circuit board at the input of the same amplifier.

Hey, prosze pana, if you are going to quote "Mi Buenos Aires Querido", my birth town, do it in English.

Dzienkuje bardzo from your cousin at the other side of the Carpathians or Tatry....

Top Bottom