• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop Stereo Amplifiers - same quality as new small headphone amps

gvl

Major Contributor
Is 10W at Benchmark AHB2 performance, or even half, in a small to medium desk-friendly form factor for $200 in the realm of possibility? I don't really need more for near-field. Don't care for Bluetooth.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Paradigm sells the PW-Amp which also has ARC and is $249 from their website currently. Note, it also did not perform great on ASR's review.

MartinLogan Forte is basically the same thing as PW-Amp but with real streaming capabilities: AirPlay instead of that buggy and limited DTS Play-Fi. That's why a Forte is a current product and PW-Amp is a closeout/eBay product. Since neither one has a wired digital input, streaming is the only way to avoid the extra conversion.

As for "not perform great," let's be real: between a dumb amp with 400dB SINAD resolution and an amp with good room correction and 70dB SINAD resolution, the latter with the room correction system used correctly will always sound much better.

Jarrett

Good topic. It's as if the world only does headphone listening. I'd love to see some modern, giant killer integrated amps. I'm using a Bryston B60 (not a current B60).

NoMoFoNo

There are many small, cheap ChiFi TPA amps available but as others have noted none have tested well. Yet. We need Topping et al to make this happen because I agree there is a real need for small, cheap amps. The world shouldn't have to settle for Lepai!

bilzebubba

There are many small, cheap ChiFi TPA amps available but as others have noted none have tested well. Yet. We need Topping et al to make this happen because I agree there is a real need for small, cheap amps. The world shouldn't have to settle for Lepai!

I have owned a couple of those Toppings and they were meh/fine. I also own one of these, currently in my office, and it sounds/costs an order of magnitude better/more (been years since they updated their gear tho, but was well regarded back in the day, wonder how they might test!):
https://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/bantam_gold_e.html

dwkdnvr

Is 10W at Benchmark AHB2 performance, or even half, in a small to medium desk-friendly form factor for $200 in the realm of possibility? I don't really need more for near-field. Don't care for Bluetooth.

The cheapest 'top tier' route that I know of is to build a Neurochrome Mod-86. You can probably do this for about $400, but it's a full-on DIY effort - all you get is the unpopulated circuit boards. I lucked out and found one already built, but that's rare.

Parts-express sells an IcePower 50ASX2 board which should perform on par with the 125ASX tested here. You need to put it in a case and add connectors, but you can build it out for under $200. One of these with a JDS Atom would be pretty decent if you can live with the power level.

Dreamslayer

I have an Emotiva A-100 - it's a half width amp, but it's fairly deep.

It's a weird power amp / integrated amp / headphone amp hybrid with a lot of flexibility and the price is hard to beat ($229)

You could get away with not having a real preamp if you needed to and if it disappears, you're not out too much money and you didn't lose something you can't replace...

https://emotiva.com/products/a-100

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Hi All, I own a few small Trends Audio power amps whose simple tripath wizardry I love dearly. I have noted that they have ceased their Hong Kong based website and are now on a more dodgy looking .NL webaddress. Does anybody have any news on them?

On a different matter, I recently acquired the Nobsound (love that name) NS-14g pro integrated amp (https://doukaudio.com/nobsound-blue...-21-channel-stereo-audio-amp-p0155-p0155.html ) that is sitting in a Mac Mini ->Loxije D10 -> Nobsound -> LS50 2.1 chain. Delightful little box with an active subwoofer out that does what it says on the tin. Might send it to Amir and get disappointed with the measurements...

This is what I am using. No complaints.

March audio has an affordable power amp that you could pair with a topping d50s.

If you can fit it, the Denon x3600h is a good option. Measured well dac and amplifier, has 2 subwoofer out, Bluetooth, airplay, streaming.

Cambridge audio cxa 60 is only 500 but doesn’t have Bluetooth. If you want bluetooth you can get an external dongle. Not measured but got good reviews from master switch and what hifi.

Top Bottom