• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop speaker suggestion

OP
P

psychokiller

I would suggest a coaxial bookshelf or other speaker that has a point source like dispersion pattern to avoid the drivers not summing properly if you're too close.
Yes, a speaker with coaxial driver would be great: any idea of an actual product in a compact size?

OP
P

psychokiller

Some nice speakers I have found browsing the net and would fit in my requirements, although having an internal DAC I would not use, are these https://feniksaudio.com
But at €1.450 I find them, to say the least, a bit pricey...

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec 8010 would also require XLR and I wish to use the Atom Amp, so RCA input would be a better option.
Just use an adapter cable (or an adapter RCA to XLR) like I do when I feed them by a non balanced source. At least the old 8020a has very high sensitivity when volume is at max setting so those can be fed by any pro or consumer line level source.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
btw if you put a speakers on the desk u gonna need to use this thing or something like that
View attachment 137229
Or this for speakers which sport a microphone type bolt at the bottom (like Genelecs):
23325-300-55.jpg

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can find Genelec 8010 for €250 each so the €500 budget would be for those (or better Genelec G One). Would like to spend quite less.
You won't regret it spending a bit more. Try to get a used pair.

OP
P

psychokiller

Above your budget but these would be nice. You'd still need a sub.

https://www.focal.com/en/home-audio/home-theater/dome/miniature-speakers/dome-flax#documentation

Less expensive but good reviews...and again you'll need a sub.

https://www.paradigm.com/en/passive/milleniaone-10
Quite nice and interesting! Though I see those retails at €669 here in Italy.
I understand Paradigm are 2-way speakers compared to the Cambridge Audio Minx 12 and 22, but specs are mostly the same and Minx sports BMR technology.

Last edited:

Doctors11

Quite nice and interesting! Though I see those retails at €669 here in Italy.
I understand those are 2-way speakers compared to the Cambridge Audio Minx 12 and 22, but specs are mostly the same and Minx sports BMR technology.
When you say "those" which are you referring to?

OP
P

psychokiller

I had Vanatoo Transparent Zeroes on my desktop last time I had speakers. Switched from Audioengine A2+ and found them to be great. And small.
I see now see they measure ok too and even get a recommendation.
Vanatoo would be a good option, although those still comes with an internal DAC that I would not use in my setup.
The biggest problem is that those seems to be unavailable in Europe: no resellers nor available from Amazon.

Doctors11

Referring to Paradigm, sorry for not being specific.
No problem. I haven't heard either but have read a lot about them. My guess is the Paradigm (and the Focals) would be in a different league than the Cambridge.

OP
P

psychokiller

Above your budget but these would be nice. You'd still need a sub.

https://www.focal.com/en/home-audio/home-theater/dome/miniature-speakers/dome-flax#documentation

Less expensive but good reviews...and again you'll need a sub.

https://www.paradigm.com/en/passive/milleniaone-10
Focal Flax instead still retails around €580 :( way above what I am willing to spend for the kind of casual listening I am gonna use them. Would use headphones for any serious listening.

OP
P

psychokiller

How about the iLoud monitors? Are those available where you are?
Yes, iLoud Micro Monitor are widely available and somewhat cheap at around €260 street price: does anyone from the forum have an opinion on them by listening to them?
What I do not like is that they have both power switch and volume control on the main speaker back...

eric-c

Forum Donor
I looked at getting the Cambridge Minx but instead, I repurposed an extra set of Mirage Omnisat Micros (passive and discontinued) on my main desk. You can still find them used relatively cheap. I like the "omni" dispersion so I don't need my head in a vice. On my treadmill desk, I use the "highly regarded" active Audio Engine 2+ with the optional "stands" so they tilt upwards. Lastly I also have spare Gallo Micro's (sphere shaped) but they definitely need low end assistance since they are 3" drivers. I find the Omnisats have enough bass to satisfy my needs for a desktop speaker.

OP
P

psychokiller

I looked at getting the Cambridge Minx but instead, I repurposed an extra set of Mirage Omnisat Micros (passive and discontinued) on my main desk. You can still find them used relatively cheap. I like the "omni" dispersion so I don't need my head in a vice. On my treadmill desk, I use the "highly regarded" active Audio Engine 2+ with the optional "stands" so they tilt upwards. Lastly I also have spare Gallo Micro's (sphere shaped) but they definitely need low end assistance since they are 3" drivers. I find the Omnisats have enough bass to satisfy my needs for a desktop speaker.
WOW! Never knew about the Mirage Omnisat Micros: they look an interesting concept. Sadly it seems another product that's never been imported to Europe. The one available on eBay end up costing too much with shipping and import taxes. Will keep an eye on them using an eBay search, but with little hope.

Top Bottom