• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon x4800h with KEF R3 LCR combo

mikedn

I’ve seen that KEF R3s (Meta or not) are a favourite around here (the Erin gang at least), as is the Denon line of amps, like the AVR-X4800H. But I don’t see many combining these in one setup for mixed home cinema and music use?

I know the impedance of the KEFs drops very low at some frequencies and it’s a bit on the tight side for these Denons…

Thinking to use the KEFs as LCR combined with Arendal surrounds and heights, plus two SVS SB-1000 Pro subs in a 5.2.4 setup in a small room (3 by 4m, 10 by 13 ft, treated room). Trying to avoid needing a separate power amp and spending more than ca $2.5-3k on AVR+amp. Planning to upgrade to Dirac Live with DLBC.

Any concerns on the combo?

Ellebob

Forum Donor
It really comes down to volume level. This combination will play pretty loud but if you really like to crank it then an amp could help. I would probably look at bigger, more capable speakers if you want really want to crack it though.

I think most people would be fine with this combo especially in your size room. You can always add an amp later if you think you need it.

just1n

Forum Donor
I have my X3800h powering five KEF R3 and two of four R8As in a 5.1.4 Atmos/Auro setup. If it weren’t for a clearance sale, I would have brought four Arendal heights like you’re thinking of doing. Recently added a 3000micro due to floor space constraints.

I listen at moderate levels and at most 55-60dBa for the occasional family movie night. I just don’t enjoy listening are crazy levels. No issues I’ve noticed. I added an AC Infinity that comes on occasionally during music and movies, but not 100% of the time.

I think the power stages in Denon AVRs is acceptable in my use case. I don’t know how people listen at or just below reference level. Learned that from measuring using a miniDSP mic and both NIOSH SLM and SPLnFFT apps on iPhone to check what level we’re at from time to time.

Listen louder? Maybe then consider external power amps for longevity.

CRobertson

Forum Donor
I’ve seen that KEF R3s (Meta or not) are a favourite around here (the Erin gang at least), as is the Denon line of amps, like the AVR-X4800H. But I don’t see many combining these in one setup for mixed home cinema and music use?

I know the impedance of the KEFs drops very low at some frequencies and it’s a bit on the tight side for these Denons…

Thinking to use the KEFs as LCR combined with Arendal surrounds and heights, plus two SVS SB-1000 Pro subs in a 5.2.4 setup in a small room (3 by 4m, 10 by 13 ft, treated room). Trying to avoid needing a separate power amp and spending more than ca $2.5-3k on AVR+amp. Planning to upgrade to Dirac Live with DLBC.

Any concerns on the combo?
I'm running a 5.2 system right now. Three Kef R3 (non Meta) as LCR. Two Revel M16 as the rear. Denon X4800H as the AVR. Two Monolith M-10 V2 subwoofers. I'm still working my way through all the options but I've only had the Denon AVR for a few months and I've been out of town a bit.

So far it's working well, but I don't listen at high volume. Near term I have the parts to go to 7.4 with two Monolith M-12 V2 subwoofers and two more M16s for surrounds. I'm planning to try using the Multi-Eq app combined with REW - I spent a significant amount of my career working in DSP.

I'm interested in how the directional subwoofer options work. One issue is that the Kefs are sold in pairs and I have an extra.

If you have some patience, the AVR will be available for much less than list. Someone posted a link and discount code on the Master Deals thread which I used. 35-40% off.

OP
M

mikedn

Thank you both for your replies! That helps - great to hear that it should work.

I’m actually considering taking Arendal 1961 bookshelf speakers instead of the R3, they’re less than half the depth and that means I need less depth in the fake (semi baffle) wall. But the impedance curve on those looks quite similar to the R3s so that should work similarly

Ciobi69

I had r3 they enjoy power, i suggest to everyone to add a power amp to them the avr could be okay in a multichannel setup at low volume, if you are listening at 75-80db average its not good ( it might not happen but you could ruin or the speakers or the avr)

Nuzik

Ive got the R3 for LCR as well in Walnut pre meta, im using a Denon 6500h out to a two-channel Rega Elicit R,I wasnt a huge fan of the sound in stereo from the hence the change. I have zero issues with any clipping and the R3s can go very loud without much effort at all.
Like most people i dont like to go deaf so i maybe the amp goes to -20db for movies and -15db on Disney as its quieter.

quattro98

Forum Donor
I'm in a transitional setup as we build out our system after a move. I am using the Denon 8500 to drive the Reference 3 Meta and Reference 2 Meta and it works fine. These are bass managed with powered subs, but even when I've tried them full range, it's ok. Since there are unused channels in the receiver, I am using passive biamping.

OP
M

mikedn

Thanks! Great to hear. Might actually have to go another way in the end due to space / throw distance constraints, using a baffle wall with KEF CI200RR-THX speakers in an MDF 25 litre backbox

Top Bottom