• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon HEOS LINK HS2

Chazz6

Fortunately, the Denon LinkHS2 has optical and coax outputs to pass through the digital signal. When I fed this signal to an RME ADI-2 FS DAC, I heard much better sound than the LinkHS2 DAC delivered.

Don_Gately

Currently auditioning both for our home system, primary goal is high quality Amazon Music HD. I have an SMSL M500v2 so I wanted a streamer to play 24/192 to my DAC to my home audio distribution preamp (Audio Authority ADX-16).

Got a used Heos Link HS2 and while it worked and sounded good, had issues with it stopping randomly and having to reboot. Resolved that by clearing the cache on my router (advice from Heos support), works very well now and is stable. Heos app is not perfect so bought a Node 2i and auditioned it this week. Running coax out (of both units) to the DAC and while the BlueOS app is more elegant, I am surprised that to my ears the Heos sounds better! I wanted to like the Bluesound due to the better app interface, however, even my wife (who thinks I'm crazy at times with my audio equipment) noticed the better sound quality of the Heos streaming to the SMSL DAC compared to the Node 2i.

While YMMV, in our system, we're keeping the Heos Link and returning the Node 2i.
I have the v2 of the Heos Link. using digital out (either OPT. or SPDIF/coax) it fixes the the output to 48 KHz, which sucks because the DAC in it sucks. So either use the internal DAC, or only get 48KHz fixed output. It still sounds good though, have it outputting to a topping DAC, then to a pretty decent SMSL class D amp.

Don_Gately

Fortunately, the Denon LinkHS2 has optical and coax outputs to pass through the digital signal. When I fed this signal to an RME ADI-2 FS DAC, I heard much better sound than the LinkHS2 DAC delivered.
Yes, but the digital output is fixed to 48KHz. It doesn't pass through bit perfect.

Chazz6

the digital output is fixed to 48KHz. It doesn't pass through bit perfect.
Well, here are specs from the user manual.
DenonHEOS2_manual_page.jpg

Golfx

Forum Donor
I believe human hearing caps at about 20k and your speakers and headphones likely will not produce past say 30K (and that is generous). While it is intellectually satisfying to see numbers like 24/192 it simply is a wonderful marketing tool not an audible reality.

Don_Gately

Well, here are specs from the user manual.
View attachment 354860
Yes sir, I'm well aware of that chart. Unfortunately, it refers to the inputs and using the internal DAC to RCA output. My DAC tells me what bit/frequency it's getting. The HEOS Link fixes digital output at 24bit/48KHz. I've had the link since 2019. It's not a bad device, I just prefer to use my topping DAC. It sounds better and has a volume remote, whereas to control volume with the Link, I have to use the app on my iPhone 12.

Chazz6

The HEOS Link fixes digital output at 24bit/48KHz.
When I play a 192 kHz .flac file, it goes along this signal path:
PC -(Ethernet)-> router -(wifi-)-> Denon HEOS -(Toslink optical)-> RME ADI-2 FS DAC ...
The display on the RME DAC reports that it has a 192 kHz signal.
You state, "The HEOS Link fixes digital output at 24bit/48KHz."
1. Is that documented by Denon?
2. Could your signal path in front of the HEOS be the source of your 48 kHz limit?

Toni71

Forum Donor
The first version was limited. No high resolution.The HS2 which I also had played 192 here. But I have sold it to use HEOS from a receiver.

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
When I play a 192 kHz .flac file, it goes along this signal path:
PC -(Ethernet)-> router -(wifi-)-> Denon HEOS -(Toslink optical)-> RME ADI-2 FS DAC ...
The display on the RME DAC reports that it has a 192 kHz signal.
You state, "The HEOS Link fixes digital output at 24bit/48KHz."
1. Is that documented by Denon?
2. Could your signal path in front of the HEOS be the source of your 48 kHz limit?
Which version are you using?
The first version was limited. No high resolution.The HS2 which I also had played 192 here. But I have sold it to use HEOS from a receiver.
So the first gen can't do anything but 44.1 or what?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Good question. Bought the HEOS Link used. There is no label on the case. The eBay seller listed it as the HS2.
Is the top black or silver? Does it say Link2 on the bottom? From what I saw on ebay; Link2 is made in Vietnam and Link1 made in China.

Chazz6

Is the top black or silver? Does it say Link2 on the bottom? From what I saw on ebay; Link2 is made in Vietnam and Link1 made in China.
I'd call the top gray, definitely not black. The case has no labeling of where made, serial number, etc.

Toni71

Forum Donor
Sorry for my short answer. A bit busy.

Chazz6

Sorry for my short answer. A bit busy.

The review of version two - from 2016 - says, "Denon have also added direct Bluetooth support." Good identifier; my box has that.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I'd call the top gray, definitely not black. The case has no labeling of where made, serial number, etc.
That is weird, it must have all been scratched off. Everything should be on the bottom. Never seen that before.
The review of version two - from 2016 - says, "Denon have also added direct Bluetooth support." Good identifier; my box has that.
Well if your box has that then its v2. Also if it isn't literally silver on the top then its v2. Because V1 is 100% silver on the top.

Chazz6

That is weird, it must have all been scratched off. Everything should be on the bottom. Never seen that before.
Nor I. That's an eBay seller for you. Anyway, the box has done what it needs to do: reliably receive wi-fi and forward the digital stream to an external DAC.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Nor I. That's an eBay seller for you. Anyway, the box has done what it needs to do: reliably receive wi-fi and forward the digital stream to an external DAC.
Well I just bought one on ebay as well :)
Can't wait for it to come in. I have some other HEOS products around my house for literally a decade now.

Top Bottom