• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon HEOS LINK HS2

realdb

Looking for experiences people had with Denon HEOS LINK HS2. There is very little out there about it. How does it stack up to bluesound node 2i apart from the MQA part. The main usage I am looking into is the digital out into genelecs.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Looks interesting. If it had Audyssey XT32, it would be a killer app, in theory at least. HEOS has entirely locked up my Android phone (LG G8) a few times in the past. I tried using it to stream Amazon HD and gave up. That may have been fixed. I should try it again. BluOS is pretty rock solid, AFAIK. Removing the Node 2i's DAC from the equation bypasses its Achilles heel, does it not?

OP
R

realdb

I agree node 2i is rock solid if you bypass the dac. However, here Denon HEOS LINK HS2 is available at half the price of node 2i. So trying to objectively compare them.

KK!

I agree node 2i is rock solid if you bypass the dac. However, here Denon HEOS LINK HS2 is available at half the price of node 2i. So trying to objectively compare them.

Currently auditioning both for our home system, primary goal is high quality Amazon Music HD. I have an SMSL M500v2 so I wanted a streamer to play 24/192 to my DAC to my home audio distribution preamp (Audio Authority ADX-16).

Got a used Heos Link HS2 and while it worked and sounded good, had issues with it stopping randomly and having to reboot. Resolved that by clearing the cache on my router (advice from Heos support), works very well now and is stable. Heos app is not perfect so bought a Node 2i and auditioned it this week. Running coax out (of both units) to the DAC and while the BlueOS app is more elegant, I am surprised that to my ears the Heos sounds better! I wanted to like the Bluesound due to the better app interface, however, even my wife (who thinks I'm crazy at times with my audio equipment) noticed the better sound quality of the Heos streaming to the SMSL DAC compared to the Node 2i.

While YMMV, in our system, we're keeping the Heos Link and returning the Node 2i.

KK!

Currently auditioning both for our home system, primary goal is high quality Amazon Music HD. I have an SMSL M500v2 so I wanted a streamer to play 24/192 to my DAC to my home audio distribution preamp (Audio Authority ADX-16).

Got a used Heos Link HS2 and while it worked and sounded good, had issues with it stopping randomly and having to reboot. Resolved that by clearing the cache on my router (advice from Heos support), works very well now and is stable. Heos app is not perfect so bought a Node 2i and auditioned it this week. Running coax out (of both units) to the DAC and while the BlueOS app is more elegant, I am surprised that to my ears the Heos sounds better! I wanted to like the Bluesound due to the better app interface, however, even my wife (who thinks I'm crazy at times with my audio equipment) noticed the better sound quality of the Heos streaming to the SMSL DAC compared to the Node 2i.

While YMMV, in our system, we're keeping the Heos Link and returning the Node 2i.
Well I'm rescinding my previous comments. As I am newer to the Bluesound software compared to Heos, I discovered that I had a few settings that were incorrect. Botom line, I now prefer the Bluesound over the Heos in the system.

The Heos is good and sounds good, however, when set correctly, the Node 2i sounds noticeably better! Primarily in the mids, clear highs, not as harsh as the Heos. Transparency far better as well. Just a clearer, more lifelike presentation, at least in my system.

Did not compare the internal DAC's on the two as I'm using an external SMSL M500v2.

zythoun

Could someone explain to me why delivering the same digital information to the same DAC with 2 different streamers would end to a different sound? (apart from defective/real bad quality connectors that could generate a lot of jitter)

Overseas

Major Contributor
Any opinion on Denon Heos AMP? I think it is discontinued.

jmos

Forum Donor
Any opinion on Denon Heos AMP? I think it is discontinued.
I picked one up used on ebay. I use it as my desktop streamer in my office. It is powering a pair of Polk lsim703 bookshelf speakers. It is a great combo and by far the best sounding setup I ever had in my office. I do not have any issues with the HEOS software. It works fine. I am very happy with it. If you have any specific questions about it I will try to answer them the best I can.

Overseas

Major Contributor
I just got one, too. A few months old, not utilised. For the money, 160 euro, it's quite good. Works well on wifi, cannot connect by BT. App works ok, but very basic. Powering a pair of Pylon Audio Pearl 20, Polish factory that supplies some audio brand names.

Question: how do you manage to connect by BT? App guidance says at one step to 'look on the back of the amp to see the BT sign', I only have a 'connect' button.

Can you post the photo of the back of amp, please.

Dundas

Forum Donor
I just got one, too. A few months old, not utilised. For the money, 160 euro, it's quite good. Works well on wifi, cannot connect by BT. App works ok, but very basic. Powering a pair of Pylon Audio Pearl 20, Polish factory that supplies some audio brand names.

Question: how do you manage to connect by BT? App guidance says at one step to 'look on the back of the amp to see the BT sign', I only have a 'connect' button.

Can you post the photo of the back of amp, please.

You have the HS1 version which does not have Bluetooth. It was added in the HS2. You can add it to yours with a USB dongle.
https://support.denon.com/app/answers/list/st/5/kw/heos amp hs1/page/1

Last edited:

Overseas

Major Contributor
I had a feeling No problem, thanks for your confirmation. Probably that's why the price was so good. Sounds good to mem

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Everything I read was that the HEOS app severely limited the functionality of the Amazon HD service in ways that it did not with the other supported streaming services and Bluesound’s app played nicer with Amazon. None of that information is recent and I really had to comb through forums to find out that much. If that has changed I would love to know. Someday when I can do my big system upgrade I might get both and compare the functionality. For now a used airport express is fine for AirPlay from my phone.

Tlsrulz

Hmm.. that sucks .. I was looking at the HEOS primarily for Amazon HD. Can you elaborate in what way it was limiting it.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Hmm.. that sucks .. I was looking at the HEOS primarily for Amazon HD. Can you elaborate in what way it was limiting it.
HEOS app for amazon music hd doesn’t use fuzzy logic input or allow you to add songs to end of que. But node 2i didn’t test well when Amir reviewed it.

KK!

placebo effect
My wife is relatively clueless on all things Hi-Fi, she just likes to hear the music play. Even she could hear a difference between the Heos stream vs. the Bluesound Node to the same DAC. She's not taking any placebos BTW.

Skeptischism

'Even my wife, who is not an audiophile, could clearly hear the difference from across the room' it is meaningless 'data-point' nothing but handwaving. It is a popular, perhaps the most popular audiophile trope/cliche.

She apparently isnt human and thus is not susceptible to bias? if they are both bit-perfect there is literally no mechanism for it to produce a different output. Now, if one is seriously broken, its possible.

I put forward a somewhat flippant, but realistic explanation for the mentioned effect. You'll excuse me if I remain unconvinced :)

RobertB

Well I'm rescinding my previous comments. As I am newer to the Bluesound software compared to Heos, I discovered that I had a few settings that were incorrect. Botom line, I now prefer the Bluesound over the Heos in the system.

The Heos is good and sounds good, however, when set correctly, the Node 2i sounds noticeably better! Primarily in the mids, clear highs, not as harsh as the Heos. Transparency far better as well. Just a clearer, more lifelike presentation, at least in my system.

Did not compare the internal DAC's on the two as I'm using an external SMSL M500v2.
Hi KK!, what settings are those? (tone control?, external dac?). Making the same comparison and just want to be sure that I’m not missing something.

Toni71

Forum Donor
Nice piece of equipment. HS2. After streaming with HEOS on a X3700H, I have bought one. Using my x3700 in another setup.

No problem with HEOS and Tidal.

Does anyone know what dac chip is used in the HS2?

zeropoint

Nice piece of equipment. HS2. After streaming with HEOS on a X3700H, I have bought one. Using my x3700 in another setup.

No problem with HEOS and Tidal.

Does anyone know what dac chip is used in the HS2?
I don't know which DAC is used in the HEOS Link HS2, but apparently the HEOS Link uses the 32bit Burr Brown PCM5102 with SNR of 112dB, which supports sampling rates up to 384kHz. I suspect the HS2 uses the same.

Top Bottom