• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X6800H now released.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum. Thought I'd share something with the community.

For what it's worth, AVITECT claims the X6800H has ESS ES9017S DACs. I'm not sure what the forum rules are about posting outside links, so I grabbed a few screenshots from the YouTube video they posted yesterday.

Hope this find is of value.
Thank you.

OP
M

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’ve done speaker posts many times over the years but this the first time I got a small blister from it. It should come with a Denon Binding Post Wrench in the box. Is there such a thing?
View attachment 344679

They also added two more sets of posts above the Height posts and it makes it a little difficult to get the speaker wires in there.

Too late now, but may I suggest banana plugs!

Tanquen

Too late now, but may I suggest banana plugs!
I've thought about those a few times over the years, but I feel like you get a better connection with the wire tightened under the post nut or whatever you call it.

If I was demoing/reviewing receivers and speakers and what not, for sure I'd do it. Hopefully there's nothing I remotely want on the X6900H.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I've thought about those a few times over the years, but I feel like you get a better connection with the wire tightened under the post nut or whatever you call it.

If I was demoing/reviewing receivers and speakers and what not, for sure I'd do it. Hopefully there's nothing I remotely want on the X6900H.
Try some "locking" banana plugs? (have to say I do love the "neutrik" locking speaker connectors on the pro amps!!)

OP
M

-Matt-

@Tanquen , once you've had a bit of time with it, please let us know your impressions of the X6800 vs the X6500. I'm guessing the upgrade was mostly motivated by new features rather than any anticipated change in sound quality? Do you plan to pay for the Dirac license?

Tanquen

@Tanquen , once you've had a bit of time with it, please let us know your impressions of the X6800 vs the X6500. I'm guessing the upgrade was mostly motivated by new features rather than any anticipated change in sound quality? Do you plan to pay for the Dirac license?
Yeah about that, the only reason I got it was for the Dirac live support and the quick media switching, which they unceremoniously removed from this year's models. Even though you can still find pages on the Denon site that talk it up. I'm sure it's out of their control, but every time I get a new AVR it's like I've spent a few thousand dollars on a very expensive HDMI switch, that's not very good at HDMI switching.

So, if I can get $1,000 or so for the X6500H, I will have paid about $3,000 to try a Dirac live.

I already have the Dirac live license. I got the full one with base management when it was 30% off a few days before the AVR even showed up.

I'm a lot more interested in their full active room treatment, but they still haven't made a commitment to support that on this generation's Denon AVRs.

The 4 sub outputs are interesting but I already have two and in my small room I can't imagine for making a difference. I was curious to maybe get one that could go much lower than the two I have now, but depending on what you read it's not really going to do much for you. It also lets you choose the location of the subs to try to play back the bass from the speakers that are closer to it, but I've also read that that pretty much doesn't do anything as lower frequencies aren't very directional.

Other than that, unless something's wrong, I don't expect to be able to notice any sound quality difference between the two, just like the AVRs before these.

OP
M

-Matt-

The AVC-X6800H is now linked and listed on the main AV receivers page for Denon UK. (Previously google could find the page on their server but it wasn't visible on the main page). It still says it is out of stock but it could be a sign that the UK release is coming soon. (Price is still £2999).

Unground

The AVC-X6800H is now linked and listed on the main AV receivers page for Denon UK. (Previously google could find the page on their server but it wasn't visible on the main page). It still says it is out of stock but it could be a sign that the UK release is coming soon. (Price is still £2999).
Also listed on retailers now. Showing available February on some.

Meanwhile Marantz announced the Cinema 30, which I guess is the equivalent, but more expensive.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Prices in the EU getting very close to the A1H. Crazy...

The SR8015 is very close to the AVC-X8500H, so I think it is normal for the Cinema 30 to get close to the A1H in specs, price, thought likely not weight.

Unground

Prices in the EU getting very close to the A1H. Crazy...
Yes, especially since the A1H was discounted by 1k recently. Although Cinema 30 will get discounted soon enough I'm sure. I'm AVR shopping right now and need the channels so this is highly relevant to me. If I didn't need the channels I'd be all over the Denon 4800.

Edit: I want the extra channels. I definitely don't need them :). Spending a lot extra for two extra channels and buying the additional speakers is a bit dumb. But I'm going to do it anyway.

EWL5

Yes, especially since the A1H was discounted by 1k recently. Although Cinema 30 will get discounted soon enough I'm sure. I'm AVR shopping right now and need the channels so this is highly relevant to me. If I didn't need the channels I'd be all over the Denon 4800.

Edit: I want the extra channels. I definitely don't need them :). Spending a lot extra for two extra channels and buying the additional speakers is a bit dumb. But I'm going to do it anyway.
yes me too, I'm going to spend over 3000 for just two more channels
Honestly, if separates weren't such a sh*t show right now, we wouldn't even be having this conversation!

soerenssen

The SR8015 is very close to the AVC-X8500H, so I think it is normal for the Cinema 30 to get close to the A1H in specs, price, thought likely not weight.
Here in Germany:
- x6800: 3500EUR
- C30: 4500EUR
- A1H: list price is 5700-5800EUR but customer returns can be picked up for ~5000EUR occasionally

I expect the C30 to be at the same level as the x6800h, with a few minor differences (e.g. HDAM, same DAC but different filters), analogous to the C40 vs x4800h. Is that 1000EUR price difference justified between them?

Last edited:

EWL5

Here in Germany:
- A1H: list price is 5700-5800EUR but customer returns can be picked up for ~5000EUR occasionally

I expect the C30 to be at the same level as the x6800h, with a few minor differences (e.g. HDAM, same DAC but different filters), analogous to the C40 vs x4800h. Is that 1000EUR price difference justified between them?
There are many nice things you can buy for 1000EUR! I would be ok w/the 6800 TBH!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here in Germany:

For 1000 EUR you get some copper plates that add to the weight and better looking enclosure. Not worth 1000 EUR, but may be 100 EUR.

OP
M

-Matt-

It seems that Denon have just rounded up the UK price from £2999 to £3000. (Still listed as out of stock).

Perhaps we will see round number pricing on all new Denon AVRs going forward?

The £X99 pricing scheme seems to be going out of fashion more widely (especially for luxury goods). It is both subjective impression and mathematical truth that it cheapens the brand!

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone PM'ed me the DAC info that D+M doesn't seem willing to share. Thanks to the member who send me the info, I think we can now be quite sure (>90%) that the AVC-X6800H, and most likely the Cinema 30 finally get the better DAC IC:

It is not a reference class ESS model that is used in the A1H and AV10, but with SINAD 110 dB, it is 3 dB better than the previously used AK4458, or 17 dB better than the PCM5102A. It is also 5 dB better in DR. Obviously I am only comparing specs, that would likely result in higher measured SINAD too if Amir ever gets one from D+M, or a member. It does not mean there will be audible improvements over the AVC-X6700H/SR8015 that used the TI chips, though it likely will, in sighted listening comparison.;)

1707222570340.png

patoulol

Forum Donor
Someone PM'ed me the DAC info that D+M doesn't seem willing to share. Thanks to the member who send me the info, I think we can now be quite sure (>90%) that the AVC-X6800H, and most likely the Cinema 30 finally get the better DAC IC:

It is not a reference class ESS model that is used in the A1H and AV10, but with SINAD 110 dB, it is 3 dB better than the previously used AK4458, or 17 dB better than the PCM5102A. It is also 5 dB better in DR. Obviously I am only comparing specs, that would likely result in higher measured SINAD too if Amir ever gets one from D+M, or a member. It does not mean there will be audible improvements over the AVC-X6700H/SR8015 that used the TI chips, though it likely will, in sighted listening comparison.;)

View attachment 347763
Thank you Are you going to buy the 6800 for yourself? Do you know if ART will be as good as it is at StormAudio?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you Are you going to buy the 6800 for yourself? Do you know if ART will be as good as it is at StormAudio?

I would (and won't use its amps) if I need one, but I don't at the moment. I don't know anything about ART other than what I read, you can ask @Dj7675 about it.

Top Bottom