• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X6800H now released.

broncogr

This is news to me! My understanding both here and over at AVS is that in order to qualify for ART, you need to have already paid for DL and DLBC!

Hi,

A small precision, when we use ART, bassControl is disabled and vice versa.
So we can suppose if the customer pay licence for ART it will not mandatory to pay for BassControl module.
If you do have subwoofers, you do need DLBC as a prerequisite for ART

DTSman

This is news to me! My understanding both here and over at AVS is that in order to qualify for ART, you need to have already paid for DL and DLBC!
Logic of paiement for licence is different from the logic for audio processing it self.
For sure you will have to pay BassControl to get ART module. However those 2 processing are independants: when you use ART module in Dirac Software, BassControl is off.

Last edited:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Hi,

A small precision, when we use ART, bassControl is disabled and vice versa.
So we can suppose if the customer pay licence for ART it will not mandatory to pay for BassControl module.
Dirac have explicitly specified that ART requires DLBC... it apparently uses the DLBC software, just in a different manner for ART

So yes - even though you disable the DLBC mode, it still requires DLBC and still requires the DLBC licence....

aligalahan

I am having a new problem with my 6800. For some reason front panel display stopped showing channel information on the right side. I.e. output speakers that are in use. right side of the display is dark. not even the volume level is not displayed.

I am getting really concerned. Could it be i have a faulty unit, or somehow i managed to disable that part? Has anyone seen this sort of problem before?

EWL5

I am having a new problem with my 6800. For some reason front panel display stopped showing channel information on the right side. I.e. output speakers that are in use. right side of the display is dark. not even the volume level is not displayed.

I am getting really concerned. Could it be i have a faulty unit, or somehow i managed to disable that part? Has anyone seen this sort of problem before?
Have you tried doing a reset (make sure to backup any settings, calibration, etc.)?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

As suggested, you may want to try a factory reset first, if it worked before. There are reports on the AVSF about some anomalies regarding info display that may not be related to yours, but wouldn't hurt to take a read of the following post. If the issue is related, then it may be fixable in the same way they did as it was just some settings.

OP
M

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning

There is a setting to dim (possibly disable) the front panel display. (It might do this automatically with pure direct mode). And there is another setting to choose whether the display shows the output channels or the input ones.

Maybe try connecting to the web UI (just type the ip address of your AVR into your browser) and check that none of these settings have been made by mistake.

aligalahan

There is a setting to dim (possibly disable) the front panel display. (It might do this automatically with pure direct mode). And there is another setting to choose whether the display shows the output channels or the input ones.

Maybe try connecting to the web UI (just type the ip address of your AVR into your browser) and check that none of these settings have been made by mistake.
Thank you. Unfortunately factory reset did not help. I think front panel display is a 3 distinct LED screens and in my case 2 of the 3 screens are no longer working (they were at the beginning), only the bigger middle one is working. I think my unit developed a hardware problem or perhaps fuses behind these screen panels are out. Everything else is working, just the part of the screen is not lit up. In addition i have never resolved the audio drop out on EARC between LG C3 and Denon when playing Youtube content. Unfortunately my unit will be returned. And I am planning to order Marantz Cinema 30 instead (yes more expensive but i have heard it has better built quality, we will see about that). This was my 2nd attempt on Denon 6800, first one was DOA, and i no longer have the desire to try a 3rd time. I had not have any issues with my Sony ES, and Yamaha, Pioneer receivers in the past, so it is disheartening my experience with 6800.

OP
M

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@aligalahan I'm sorry to hear that you had such problems with your X6800. My experience to-date with Denon has been that their products have been very reliable. I hope this ends up being just teething problems for the new generation of AVR, and that they will soon get these problems ironed out.

Anyway, I hope you have a better result with the Marantz. (I certainly understand you not wanting to try a third X6800).

Thanks for sharing your experience here.

EWL5

Thank you. Unfortunately factory reset did not help. I think front panel display is a 3 distinct LED screens and in my case 2 of the 3 screens are no longer working (they were at the beginning), only the bigger middle one is working. I think my unit developed a hardware problem or perhaps fuses behind these screen panels are out. Everything else is working, just the part of the screen is not lit up. In addition i have never resolved the audio drop out on EARC between LG C3 and Denon when playing Youtube content. Unfortunately my unit will be returned. And I am planning to order Marantz Cinema 30 instead (yes more expensive but i have heard it has better built quality, we will see about that). This was my 2nd attempt on Denon 6800, first one was DOA, and i no longer have the desire to try a 3rd time. I had not have any issues with my Sony ES, and Yamaha, Pioneer receivers in the past, so it is disheartening my experience with 6800.
Sorry to hear things didn't work out. This certainly hasn't been great so far for the "made in Japan" Denons (I'm keeping a casual count)!

tmukh

I understand it is speculative, but if one has to guess, once the 6800h gets tested, what would the sinad of the front two channels from the pre amp turn out to be over hdmi?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the source of that chart even remotely credible? That seems to be the only source on the internet that seems to point that the DAC is an ES9017.
If only from one source, no, but it is from multiple sources including one that is Denon. Also, on that chart you can see the Denon logo so the dealer who posted it must have gotten it from Denon.

There is at least one Youtube video in which I could see the label ES9017S on my 65 inch Sony TV, but I can see it clearly on my PC monitor:

Time 11:30

1709400823892.jpeg

Too bad, D+M NA don't seem to think we North American care about the technical stuff too lol, so aide from German and French sources, I found another one form the Far East, the speaker gave the presentation in Cantonese instead of Mandarin so I assume it's from Hong Kong Denon:

This guy went further, actually clarify the point that @tjcinnamon and I were speculating about how many PCM5102A are used. I thought 3 based on D+M's past history of using 3 for the zone 2,3 and network though I was wondering why would it be PCM5102A when previously they used the cheaper PCM5100 for zone 2,3 and network.

Now we know the answer, according to the presenter, there is one PCM5102 (note it says PCM5012, clearly a typo on the slide), for SW4. He commented that the PCM5102A's SNR at 20 Hz is only 2 dB lower so it won't affect performance.

So the two ES9017S covers SW1 through 3, and the PCM5102A is for the SW4.

1709402423358.gif

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks to you, I did more digging and now I know there is only one PCM5102A, and you were correct in the first place. It is use to cover subwoofer pre out 4. That means I now would assume the PCM5100 (slightly worse than the PCM5102 in THD be much worse in SNR) are still use for zone 2,3 and network as they did before, such as in the AV8805A and AVR-X8500H, but that's just educated guess, as D+M could have been generous enough to upgrade them for the A1H, AV10 and AVC-X6800H, though I would say highly unlikely as no too many people seem to worry much about the Z2,3 and network.

1709403083356.png

Good to know we finally got this sorted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom