• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3800H is released.

If that's true then the x3800h is a ripoff in my book.
If Dirac was included for $1700, then it starts to make sense with 11.4 capability (as long as it actually can independently process 4 subs, and we know Dirac can handle them)
... sigh ...
Looks like I'm going to have to hack up an AVR myself and implement supplemental DSP to get what I want...
Expensive? Yes, Everything has gotten more expensive lately, From Food to Houses, AVR wouldn't be the exceptions... Worldwide Inflation is real.
Rip-off? Audiophiles are fond of hyperboles. You will be pardoned :D.

Peace.

On the Japanese site, Denon says "We will provide a firmware that enables Dirac Live in 2023."

Last edited:
It has confirmed?
It has:

Crutchfield and Denon just make reference to the Texas Instruments DAC in general:
"32-Bit/192kHz DACs: For optimum fidelity and the widest dynamic range with lowest distortion, the AVR-X3800H features advanced TI (Texas Instruments) 32-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converters (DACs) on all channels. This ensures consistent high fidelity and precise channel matching across all channels for the ultimate listening experience."

The Crutchfield page shows the Dirac Live license will cost $199. Who knows if they have inside info or are just copy-pasting information from another avr though.
If that's true then the x3800h is a ripoff in my book.
If Dirac was included for $1700, then it starts to make sense with 11.4 capability (as long as it actually can independently process 4 subs, and we know Dirac can handle them)
That could be just the beginning..
AFAIK Dirac Live will not give you correction of 4 subs.
To get that you would need to add DLBC license which is an additional $500 for the desktop app.
Time will tell.

It has:

Crutchfield and Denon just make reference to the Texas Instruments DAC in general:
"32-Bit/192kHz DACs: For optimum fidelity and the widest dynamic range with lowest distortion, the AVR-X3800H features advanced TI (Texas Instruments) 32-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converters (DACs) on all channels. This ensures consistent high fidelity and precise channel matching across all channels for the ultimate listening experience."
So, basically we can expect higher 80s or lower 90s SINAD then? It won’t be able to reach 3700’s AKM chip performance, would it?

My 3800 will be here on Wednesday (except I am in Florida and a Hurricane coming).

Going to use it has a pre-pro, to replace my much loved Yamaha 5200, did not want to, but I have a PS5 and XBOX X that needs the better HDMI inputs.

I had a 3700 ( also a pre-pro) that went to my son, it sounded great, the Yamaha was even better.
Lets us know how it handles comparing to the X3700 ?!

Are you also going to use the X3800 in pre-amp connection with your front speakers ?
I exctually can't find out if this is possible, the height 1 and 2 speakerterminals are assignable but i cannot find out if this is also possible for the cinch pre-outs !?

I think chance is good that you will be right about high 80s or even 90.
Thank you. I have the AKM 3700 setup in pre-amp mode and already ordered the 3800, but with the current hurricane it probably will be delayed way beyond the estimate. I’m probably going to hang on to the unopened box until some measurements are out.

Thank you. I have the AKM 3700 setup in pre-amp mode and already ordered the 3800, but with the current hurricane it probably will be delayed way beyond the estimate. I’m probably going to hang on to the unopened box until some measurements are out.
I wouldn't worry about it. You probably can't hear distortion beyond -40dB of THD. This works out to exactly 1.000%THD, which your speakers may regularly exceed.

Take the klippel listening test here:

With the good relation amir has built with Denon/Marantz, I’m wondering if the X3800H is already being measured, or it’s measured but the result has to be compared/reported to the manufacturer first. Even if the difference in SINAD of the new DACs is not audible, they may not like it if their brand new AVR measures worse than their own previous models. Fire or not at the AKM factory, they could’ve used a better DAC specially at the 41.6% price increase over the AKM 3700H.

Back
Top Bottom