• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dennis Foley ... "measure, measure, measure "... !

bothu

I discovered Dennis Foley yesterday for the first time.
I just love his way to kill all BS on the internet about acoustic treatment.
He has the ASR mindset.

One of his many videos :

/ Bo Thunér

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I think you should choose your gurus much more wisely, he’s a grifter shilling dubious products which is not far removed from why he was incarcerated a number of years ago.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dennis Foley offers highly repetitive advice which seems knowledgeable at a surface level, but serves primarily to sell his own products.

He frequently denounces the usage of mineral wool and multiple subwoofers, despite both being well proven methods to improve sound quality in residential and small studio environments. He also has a rather stubborn mindset of certain room sizes being tied to certain uses, believing that more channels require more space, even though the people who develop surround standard such as Dolby and DTS attach no such caveats.

Room acoustics aren't rocket science. If you can operate a calculator and read a datasheet, you can pretty quickly figure out for yourself which materials to use for isolating and absorbing which frequencies. On this exact forum, I have seen multiple people posting their DIY room treatments which offer major improvements to frequency response and decay rates, often with less than $1000 invested.

Datec

Oh no. You really have to Google him and do some reading. You might be suprised at what you find.

I personally think his rooms are clunky and an eye sore that I would never want in any room in my space. There are 3 other designers that I would have design a room and take advice from long before I would listen to him. Yates, Erskine and kalomirakis would be the 3 that I would listen to there may be others but for sure DF would not be on that list.

keenly

I think you should choose your gurus much more wisely, he’s a grifter shilling dubious products which is not far removed from why he was incarcerated a number of years ago.
His foam has the best absoption on the market, check out the tests. Smooth.

yodog

I couldn’t understand why the carbon subwoofer platform/stand costed so much money. Seems like good products but at those prices I rather buy another F18 piano black subwoofer…

Top Bottom