• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Darlington Labs MM-5 Review (Phono Stage)

theheavystuff

I kinda wish I understood all that, but am kinda glad I don’t

I’m a musician and rely on my ear for better and worse, mostly better I think. My preamp has a Bluetooth antenna, which produced better sound than my turntable, so I identified the phono stage as the weak link based on the rep of the AT cartridge, etc. The Darlington flips that, delivering beautifully clear and detailed sound even from my cruddy turntable. I love the flat sounding equalization; it never sounds like it’s trying.

Reading between the lines of Amir’s review, this is what I expected.

Yaroha

I received my mm-5 yesterday and only played a few recordings mostly Pink Floyd and some jazz. First impressions straight from the box and still cold from the freezing weather outside. So after 2 years with mani and XPS-1 mm-5 sound is clean, airy and detailed especially in the upper octave, but less dynamic than mani. Again compared to mani it feels like less bass, but I had mani for a long time and it is fully breaking in plus seems mani sound is more dynamic, but the more I played records mm-5 started to show it’s character bass improved and crazy amounts of detail started to pop well not crazy but very detailed and airy the difficult passages that mani never could play right and xps-1 could to some degree mm-5 played them with no problem and details that were smeared before now could be heard and that’s when I realized how good it is compared to what I have. XPS-1 and mani are still terrific for the money, but mm-5 sounded better to my ears and in my system. I did add a bit bass trim in my pre amp just because I used to it in mani, but more I played the less I needed it so it is just my preference. Wanted to say thank you to the reviewers community and to Keith, the wait was worth it.

krichard2496

Audio Company
I received my mm-5 yesterday and only played a few recordings mostly Pink Floyd and some jazz. First impressions straight from the box and still cold from the freezing weather outside. So after 2 years with mani and XPS-1 mm-5 sound is clean, airy and detailed especially in the upper octave, but less dynamic than mani. Again compared to mani it feels like less bass, but I had mani for a long time and it is fully breaking in plus seems mani sound is more dynamic, but the more I played records mm-5 started to show it’s character bass improved and crazy amounts of detail started to pop well not crazy but very detailed and airy the difficult passages that mani never could play right and xps-1 could to some degree mm-5 played them with no problem and details that were smeared before now could be heard and that’s when I realized how good it is compared to what I have. XPS-1 and mani are still terrific for the money, but mm-5 sounded better to my ears and in my system. I did add a bit bass trim in my pre amp just because I used to it in mani, but more I played the less I needed it so it is just my preference. Wanted to say thank you to the reviewers community and to Keith, the wait was worth it.
Thank you for your assessment and kind words.

It is noteworthy to mention that your Mani likely has an elevated frequency response from 20Hz to 100Hz. Amir's sample tested similar to our own sample of the Mani and was about +0.5dB at 20Hz (so technically it roughly meets their specifications; but it may be more useful to think of theirs as +0.4dB, -0.0dB rather than the +/- 0.2dB, 20-20kHz they quote). Our own units shipping since last fall are close to 'flat' (about +/-0.1dB at 20Hz).

We can modify your MM-5 to provide a similar "lifted shelf" or "bump" in the lowermost octaves. (This would leverage a configuration we designed on request for a client running a vacuum tube power amp with some inherent LF rolloff; but even if you have a solid state amp, it might be useful given the subjective assessment of your system).

The work would be performed for free, and we'll cover return shipping. If this is of interest to you, please get in touch with us via email.

Last edited:

Yaroha

It is noteworthy to mention that your Mani likely has an elevated frequency response from 20Hz to 100Hz. Amir's sample tested similar to our own sample of the Mani and was about +0.5dB at 20Hz (so technically it roughly meets their specifications; but it may be more useful to think of theirs as +0.4dB, -0.0dB rather than the +/- 0.2dB, 20-20kHz they quote). Our own units shipping since last fall are close to 'flat' (about +/-0.1dB at 20Hz).

We can modify your MM-5 to provide a similar "lifted shelf" or "bump" in the lowermost octaves. (This would leverage a configuration we designed on request for a client running a vacuum tube power amp with some inherent LF rolloff; but even if you have a solid state amp, it might be useful given the subjective assessment of your system).

The work would be performed for free, and we'll cover return shipping. If this is of interest to you, please get in touch with us via email.
Thank you for the information, I am enjoying the phono as is right now do you think changing the curve would somehow degrade SQ?

theheavystuff

This is a very generous offer from Keith, but I’d decline. Since getting my MM-5, I no longer touch my tone controls, as they only make it sound worse. I was accustomed to fiddling with the sound, but don’t miss it now it isn’t necessary.

Side note, I just upgraded to the AT-VMN95ML stylus and I think the combination works very well.

krichard2496

Audio Company
Thank you for the information, I am enjoying the phono as is right now do you think changing the curve would somehow degrade SQ?
We'd recommend sticking with the current flat curve. The only case where we would confidently recommend it is where you have a speaker output transformer in the signal path that itself is already down 0.5 to 1.0dB at 20Hz.

Otherwise, it sounds quite impressive on first listen (a "boosted bass") but the resulting phase-shift and somewhat less-tuneful and more-bloated response tend to outweigh any benefit. Your ears will reacclimate to a neutral i.e. flat response over time. If you have program equalization available to you, already in your system, you can utilize that, or not, as you so choose.

One assumes that the record was cut the way they wanted it to be with your phono preamp accurately following the RIAA curve and that's how we design our units, making sure that they perform well on their own without any of our own 'editorializing' or modification of the proscribed EQ curve.

Yaroha

This is a very generous offer from Keith, but I’d decline. Since getting my MM-5, I no longer touch my tone controls, as they only make it sound worse. I was accustomed to fiddling with the sound, but don’t miss it now it isn’t necessary.

Side note, I just upgraded to the AT-VMN95ML stylus and I think the combination works very well.
That’s exactly my setup cart right now on Thorens TD-350 and it playing amazing with mm-5.

Yaroha

So, long story short I was very happy with my mm-5 but keep thinking if mm-5 sounds so great how is mm-6 and mp-7 sounds like and I couldn’t help it and after short communication with Keith Richardson decided to upgrade my mm-5 to more-7. Today I received my mp-7 I already knew that it will be big step up and decided to go straight to my reference record Dark Side of the Moon with no break in at all and the second I dropped the needle I was in nirvana I couldn’t believe the difference. I was envelope in holographic music the sound the incredible details on the record that I never heard before and I know every millimeter of this record that’s just I don’t even have words to describe how organic and holographic 3d like sound was coming out from mine pretty budget system. This is a true endgame for me I am more than happy I am in trance and crazy thing that even pops are much less disturbing now. Thank you Keith Richardson and Darlington Labs team you created a master peace!

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A simple way to check that is to digitalize the track in both preamps with a transparent audio interface (like Focusrite Scarlett) and then use the ABX plugin in Foobar 2000 player.

As the preamps have the same gain and you're using the same track with the same gain on the audio interface, everything must go well ... and if you can detect the mp-7 as better sounding more than 60% of the time ... I think you're right

In other way, maybe is only what we like to hear after spending more money.

I think manufacturers can bring that kind of evidence in their web page, I mean, digital comparations (without cheats :)) that can show what the client will get with a product upgrade. That's what I call a differential with the competition.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
This is a true endgame for me

What happens when they come out with versions 9, then 11, then 13?

Aren't you afraid you'll be missing out?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Ooooh I see what you're doing there. Surprisingly, I have not had the itch to replace my ART DJ PRE II that I've had for three years now. Still ranks third best on the list of measured phono's on ASR.

Yaroha

♂️ I didn’t get to think about it yet, but as of right now I don’t see how much it can be improved with my budget system, trying different carts is another thing that I will do in the future my phono stage search is over. I am sure there are other phono preamps that can be better but the thing is I don’t care because I am getting goosebumps listening to my old records that I listened numerous times before. Time will tell but right now I am just pleased beyond the words with the way my stereo sounds☺️
1CC05490-D99E-4305-AAD0-A5A5A5AA7FA3.jpeg

Yaroha

Ooooh I see what you're doing there. Surprisingly, I have not had the itch to replace my ART DJ PRE II that I've had for three years now. Still ranks third best on the list of measured phono's on ASR.
It’s must be nice and reassuring that the equipment you have ranked high on the list and it’s probably sounds terrific if you haven’t had an itch to replace it My ears just enjoying the sound I got right now it could be many different things that measurements alone can’t show and everyone got a different taste so as long as we enjoy it that’s a good thing

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s must be nice and reassuring that the equipment you have ranked high on the list and it’s probably sounds terrific if you haven’t had an itch to replace it My ears just enjoying the sound I got right now it could be many different things that measurements alone can’t show and everyone got a different taste so as long as we enjoy it that’s a good thing
I will say this, the Puffin DSP phono is probably the only thing that made me have an itch to replace my ART DJ Pre. But at the end I'm happy with the way it sounds.

Yaroha

I will say this, the Puffin DSP phono is probably the only thing that made me have an itch to replace my ART DJ Pre. But at the end I'm happy with the way it sounds.
I also wanted the Puffing especially with all the DSP glory and unbeatable feature set that’s no one else as far as I know have and maybe just maybe still have a little itch for it just to tinker and experiment with all the goodness of DSP. Good candidate for a second system in my Home Theater room. My first priority would be rebuilding Soundsmith Zephyr Star cartridge legacy model and getting step up transformer for it. Good luck to everyone. I know it’s not the right thread but anyone have a static electricity problem playing records I would get crazy static electricity after playing just one side of the record any advice or tricks?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know it’s not the right thread but anyone have a static electricity problem playing records I would get crazy static electricity after playing just one side of the record any advice or tricks?
A static brush for the records may help in that situation. They're inexpensive and definitely a must have if you have an extensive vinyl collection. I use a microfiber cloth from time to time to get excess dust off the records.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I also wanted the Puffing especially with all the DSP glory and unbeatable feature set that’s no one else as far as I know have and maybe just maybe still have a little itch for it just to tinker and experiment with all the goodness of DSP. Good candidate for a second system in my Home Theater room.

The Puffin is fun, and quite capable. I like mine a lot. I have a few phono preamps and turntables and the Puffin is always hooked up.

Yaroha

A static brush for the records may help in that situation. They're inexpensive and definitely a must have if you have an extensive vinyl collection. I use a microfiber cloth from time to time to get excess dust off the records.
I use the brush as well before playing the record. It do the job well but by the end of the first side it’s build up so much static on vinyl that I get more pops unless I use the brush again at the end of the record. I get better results if I use a bit of spray and wipe cleaner. Thank you for the advice I know there is a gun that can help with that but my previous turntable didn’t have as much static problem that’s why I was thinking it could be something that contributing to excessive static electricity

krichard2496

Audio Company

We're not planning on a series of odd-numbered models.
We do have an MP-8 in our product roadmap which will likely be 5 to 6X the price of the MP-7, using tubes as well as high-voltage J-FETs. It will be targeted at cost-no-object systems.

While the conventional specifications of the MP-8 may be superior (especially via the tube-balanced-output), they are unlikely to be "too far to the left" on Amir's graphs of THD/SINAD performance. We use our ears and eyes in the design process. The marketplace has many high-feedback designs that measure well on the basic ASR methodology.

The MP-7 has proven to be our best seller of all three current models based on client interest and feedback. Many clients remark that it is an "end-stage" preamp, meaning they have stopped looking for an upgrade and are simply enjoying their music.

To us, that means far more than output from an Audio Precision interface, even though we have previously attempted to describe why we believe that our measured results are indeed actually more consistent with the true perceptive envelope of the human ear than many other marketplace options. A blind A/B test through an audio interface, or even a high-end 30-IPS tape machine is probably not going to solve that debate.

Last edited:

teched58

So, long story short I was very happy with my mm-5 but keep thinking if mm-5 sounds so great how is mm-6 and mp-7 sounds like and I couldn’t help it and after short communication with Keith Richardson decided to upgrade my mm-5 to more-7. Today I received my mp-7 I already knew that it will be big step up and decided to go straight to my reference record Dark Side of the Moon with no break in at all and the second I dropped the needle I was in nirvana I couldn’t believe the difference. I was envelope in holographic music the sound the incredible details on the record that I never heard before and I know every millimeter of this record that’s just I don’t even have words to describe how organic and holographic 3d like sound was coming out from mine pretty budget system. This is a true endgame for me I am more than happy I am in trance and crazy thing that even pops are much less disturbing now. Thank you Keith Richardson and Darlington Labs team you created a master peace!

Jason Victor Serinus, is that you?

Top Bottom