• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAP for the desktop

mkarikom

I have a Tidal subscription, some content in wacky fomats like dsd, etc. I used to use apps like Audirvana and Tidal on Mac/PC.
Now I'm mostly on linux all the time, it's just easier for work, and I work all the time.

Problems with this situation include:
1) no MQA in Tidal web (I'm familiar with the MQA controversy)
2) no Audirvana

Now my solution is to just have a macbook open on my desk for music, which is annoying.

I've never used a DAP, but wondering if there are products in this category which offer support for licensed codecs and DRM like MQA.
Also having a tiny device sitting on top of my headphone amp that can simultaneously handle streaming DRM and pull lossless files off my NAS would be cool.

Can someone:
1) comment on the potential advantages of an DAP [-> DAC] -> AMP chain over something like Audirvana/Tidal(PC) -> DAC -> AMP
2) suggest a DAP that can do this or confirm that no such device exists on the market

NB: portability is not an issue, I don't intend to use this device for mobile listening

raif71

Major Contributor
You're just like me. I only use DAP as transport to my desktop dac and amp. Just find a DAP or perhaps an old phone that support usb audio and you should be ready to got. Currently using Hiby R5 with Topping e30/l30. I have other setups too

Hemi-Demon

For that purpose, I would recommend a current smartphone, bluetooth and some ldac headphones like the WX4 Sony's. Most DAPS have issues with MQA, because its a dumb standard, with all the various folding/unfolding requirements.

Hiby currently has the best implementation of MQA across the device (and all apps) in their daps, but they can be a tad noisy (analog line out) and touchy on OTG output.

Ibasso is great with MQA, but the internal processors are SLOW in comparison to any basic smartphone, it may make you mad if you have a large library, as the GUI on all current Ibasso Daps are snail paced They sound GREAT though on lineout and OTG. So you have to pick your poison.

Top Bottom