• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac X6 MK II

dante21

Is this dac/amp any good?

i need an improvement over my SMSL M3 to properly drive my AKG K702 (hard to drive)

Will this do the job?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
A sub-$100 DAC/HPA sporting an AK4499? Just why can't I help wondering whether they had any budget left for important things like a nice multilayer board? Otherwise the chip complement is not too atypical; opamp wise they could only afford an OP275, the TPA6120A2 driver is common (hard to tell how well heatsinking into the board works though, it depends on how well the PowerPAD is couple to the board and how much copper is attached there). Specs for the headphone output indicate lots of grunt but only so-so noise (should still be inaudible with the K702s though) and decent but unspectacular distortion. It does look neat though:
41ve9RNWtnL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Just what DAC was the row of sample rate indicator LEDs inspired by again...?

Kujo

I have the FX-Audio X6 mkII. I find it to be quite good. I also have the X6 version 1 without bluetooth and the O2 dac/amp from mayflower.
I like the X6 so much i got the MKII and I like the added functionality. I also prefer it to the O2 dac/amp. There are some very good reviews on its performance. I'm relatively low on my knowledge and I can't compare it to the SMSL, but hope this helps. I also only drive HD595 and 58X.
I think for the money you can't go wrong and when I do upgrade I will use it at work or on my home entertainment system.

Craig7700

I tried and returned the X6 Mk2.
  • Power output was plenty with 32 ohm headphones.
  • DAC quality was below the E30 when compared sided by side. I think what I hear is harmonics in the upper freq.
  • Bluetooth was a mess of noise. Usable, but poor.
  • Noise floor is too high when used with 32 ohm in ear monitors. Not usable for any in ear monitor. Topping L30 amp was dead quite when used with same monitor.
  • Volume control has about 90+ steps. Unit appears to have an optical encoder with maybe 30 steps per revolution. You have to spin the knob a LOT to raise and lower volume. PRE OUT and headphone out use same volume setting. This alone make the unit a mess.
  • FX Audio missed on this design.

FireLion

A sub-$100 DAC/HPA sporting an AK4499? Just why can't I help wondering whether they had any budget left for important things like a nice multilayer board? Otherwise the chip complement is not too atypical; opamp wise they could only afford an OP275, the TPA6120A2 driver is common (hard to tell how well heatsinking into the board works though, it depends on how well the PowerPAD is couple to the board and how much copper is attached there). Specs for the headphone output indicate lots of grunt but only so-so noise (should still be inaudible with the K702s though) and decent but unspectacular distortion. It does look neat though:
41ve9RNWtnL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Just what DAC was the row of sample rate indicator LEDs inspired by again...?

I think the DAC-X7 was AK4490, I had one. Not same as Dilvpoetry X7.

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have this dac for a spare/back up. I would say that the sound is pretty good. Some say the Topping E30 has a slightly more rounded overall sound which to some degree is true. I find the E30 offers a little more detail overall around the mids but does it offer much over the X6 MK2 considering it is twice the price of the X6...mmm...I would say no. The X6 MK2 is more cheaply built but the actual sound is not much different to the E30 mk2. I have both. In fact with an op amp upgrade to the X6 mk2 using the Oracle 02 the vocals surpassed the E30 mk2 and more clarity achieved via the new op amp. I ran my Denon DNP 730 AE through both dacs using a QED Optical cable. The X6 MK2 proved the superior sound making the E30 sound tinny in the vocals, much thinner. The Oracle 02 with the X6 MK2 is a good combination and a cheap upgrade. The Denon dnp 730 does not need an external dac as it has excellent sound quality especially through the analogue connections (rca) and using the E30 via the optical connection proved it easy to hear the inferior connection but swapping the dac for the X6 MK2 with the Oracle 02 op amp and the sound was alot closer to the analogue sound, fuller in general and good instrument separation, more robust vocals. So no, the X6 MK2 imo is very good value for money and with a small upgrade to the op amp, a bargain.

Top Bottom