• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC with SMALL amp

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Guess this forum is the best place to ask. I was inspired by reviews of newer DACs and headphone amps to upgrade my desktop DAC/amp/phones boxes. Currently very old SMSL SAD-01. ( I actually have 4 of them) Old chip amp jobs. Not bad for their time or cost, but sure not up to snuff today. I can hear a clear difference between them with my new Schiit through phones. Power amp side is just plain terrible pushing over 1%

I can't find one! DAC/phones only plenty. I find 200 or 500W. I am looking for more like 20W but of modern performance standards. Any suggestions?

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Hmmm. That may be it! Never heard of them. I see our guru has just measured it and it looks quite reasonable for my use. Never seen a need to BT, but I guess I can play with it and see if it of any use. IF it had the range to get from my house out to my shop, that would be cool. Not sure what serves as the transmitter though. ( not my phone. I make phone calls with my phone)

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
OK, stupid question as I know nothing about BT. This thing has an antenna. Is it to receive, like from a phone or something, or does it transmit to a "BT speaker" . Or both?

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Thanks. Useless feature for me. Like the remote. Something that could transmit out to my patio or to my workshop would be nifty. I assume one with external antennas. If I get this job for my desk, maybe I'll experiment. It may not be the highest of fidelity by all standards, but a massive step up from what I am running. It is just my desk ( Fountek FE85/ Vifa based) and in the same room as my main stereo which is quite good if I do say so myself.

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
That is a most curious product. Add a DAC and PS and it does raise the anti, but performance starts to look good.

Reactions: EdW
OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
All I need is $1000 or so for a Mac and 2 or 3K for new software, then some way to run my Win only tools.
But, yea, the DAC is probably more than good enough. Researching class D chips. The TPA3126 and 3244 are a step in the right direction for cheap. Low frequency and first watt getting much better. A couple of the newest $100 Chinese wonders are using it. Not what we call true hi-fi, but an order of magnitude step up from my old chip-amp SMSL. Uh, probably two.

wasnotwasnotwas

All I need is $1000 or so for a Mac and 2 or 3K for new software, then some way to run my Win only tools.

If that is a reply to the Apple dongle suggestion, ummmm no. It runs off Android phones (USB C version), apple phones (lightning version) and PC- either direct USB C or a cheap USB "letterbox" to USB C adapter then USB C version. Oh, and yes it runs off Macs as well of course.

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Just found out about the adapters for C into A. I had only seen the A into C. Seems a lot of newer equipment is coming out with C, IO boxes in particular. Opens some possibilities.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But, yea, the DAC is probably more than good enough. Researching class D chips. The TPA3126 and 3244 are a step in the right direction for cheap. Low frequency and first watt getting much better. A couple of the newest $100 Chinese wonders are using it. Not what we call true hi-fi, but an order of magnitude step up from my old chip-amp SMSL. Uh, probably two.

The dongle is just a USB DAC it works everywhere.

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
The dongle is just a USB DAC it works everywhere.
USB C which my computer does not have. But I now see there are adapters. Plus, it is well known to NOT work on all Androids.
I am going to hang tight until the TPA32xx series chips are more widely adopted.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Plus, it is well known to NOT work on all Androids.
More down to crappy USB-C Android implementation not the Apple dongle.

OP
tvrgeek

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Probably true, but still a point mentioned in several places to be aware of. If I cared at all about putting music on my phone, and if I had a phone with USB C, maybe I would care. But that is not the form factor product I was looking for and it is not really a step up from my existing unit.

Top Bottom