• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC with DSP?

merlin2049er

anyone know of a dac with a built in DSP? just curious, I know many dacs have digital filters, but not aware of any with a full blown dsp.

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
RME is only 5 band parametric. Market needs something with wide flexibility like MiniDSP or equalizer APO but with a better DAC

DDF

Dspeaker Antimode

Anyone know if the Toslink input is async? They had a 2012 F/W update to make the USB asynch but no mention if Toslink is asynch as well.

It would be great to see how this performs on the bench. Getting gun shy of buying highly reviewed stuff without measurements, just too much questionably engineered stuff out there these days.

X4 is "sell a kidney" pricing.

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
I don't have an answer, but I think software-based DSP are far more numerous and flexible.

I don't use Foobar2000 but I think it has a lot of DSP plugins.

DDF

I don't have an answer, but I think software-based DSP are far more numerous and flexible.

I don't use Foobar2000 but I think it has a lot of DSP plugins.

I use PC based EQ and love it but that doesn't support CD player, turntable or analog tuner. A dac with built in dsp would apply eq to any source.

Eurasian

Forum Donor
dbx VENU360 is another -- very nice tablet/smartphone app, too. 2 ch analog or digital in w/ 6 ch analog out + room correction.

darko

Forum Donor
Anyone know if the Toslink input is async? They had a 2012 F/W update to make the USB asynch but no mention if Toslink is asynch as well.

It would be great to see how this performs on the bench. Getting gun shy of buying highly reviewed stuff without measurements, just too much questionably engineered stuff out there these days.

X4 is "sell a kidney" pricing.
I bought a used Antimode 2.0 - before discovering this wonderful Forum. The features and ability to manage the lower frequencies was just what I was looking for. Since following this forum I was looking for measurements and found just this here: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/316286-dspeaker-dual-core-2-0-test-bench-report.html
Doesn't sound good. Unfortunately I'm not savvy enough to see if the measurements are done right and if they are relevant.

Reactions: DDF

DDF

I bought a used Antimode 2.0 - before discovering this wonderful Forum. The features and ability to manage the lower frequencies was just what I was looking for. Since following this forum I was looking for measurements and found just this here: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/316286-dspeaker-dual-core-2-0-test-bench-report.html
Doesn't sound good. Unfortunately I'm not savvy enough to see if the measurements are done right and if they are relevant.

Great information, thanks for sharing. It would increase confidence in the measures if he provided loopback tests through his test system alone as a baseline but that he was able to get much better results with DEQ2496 indicates he's probably testing OK. I do wonder if he had a high pass filter inadvertently set (in by default or defeatable? example his DEQ2496 showed 2 notches indicating he forgot to defeat them) but other aspects raise serious questions: 48 kHz digi output only, high jitter, and that iffy filter showing aliasing.

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
I use PC based EQ and love it but that doesn't support CD player, turntable or analog tuner. A dac with built in dsp would apply eq to any source.
I see.

What about something like this? An outboard, hardware DSP.

darko

Forum Donor
Great information, thanks for sharing. It would increase confidence in the measures if he provided loopback tests through his test system alone as a baseline but that he was able to get much better results with DEQ2496 indicates he's probably testing OK. I do wonder if he had a high pass filter inadvertently set (in by default or defeatable? example his DEQ2496 showed 2 notches indicating he forgot to defeat them) but other aspects raise serious questions: 48 kHz digi output only, high jitter, and that iffy filter showing aliasing.
thank you for putting the measurements in perspective. much appreciated.

reza

You could always try the raspberry Pi route, for very little money.
You can use something like this paired with your own DAC of choice.
Or go with this one for an all in one solution.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would recommend the Minidsp SHD or Studio. Measured very well and you get a very good DAC, Dirac Room Correction/DSP and also build in streaming functionality.

Ultrasonic

I have a miniDSP 2x4 HD but I do wish their were more alternatives to their product range. In particular as I'd like the higher performance of their SHD as well as its display but I don't want DIRAC (for which you pay extra and lose the ability to apply your own FIR filters) or the streaming functionality (which is limited to a physical internet connection rather than WiFi).

I'd thought the Okto DSP might have been an alternative but I'm not sure any more are being made.

Oh, and I'll just highlight another strength of the miniDSP products that I use, which is their ability to act as a crossover.

tw99

His tests look plausible enough. I own one of these units, and some of his findings about higher resolution performance don't matter to me as I'm only using it with 44/16 (or worse!) material. I also doubt that a lot of the issues found are audible, not that it's an excuse for what looks like some technical failings in the implementation.

The massive low frequency rolloff of the DAC looks very odd, although again, in my own setup, that would be factored out by the room correction. I'm now a bit tempted to try an external DAC in my system though !

darko

Forum Donor
His tests look plausible enough. I own one of these units, and some of his findings about higher resolution performance don't matter to me as I'm only using it with 44/16 (or worse!) material. I also doubt that a lot of the issues found are audible, not that it's an excuse for what looks like some technical failings in the implementation.

The massive low frequency rolloff of the DAC looks very odd, although again, in my own setup, that would be factored out by the room correction. I'm now a bit tempted to try an external DAC in my system though !
thank you for the insight. does it make sense to use an external dac with the Antimode? is it possible to use just the room correction, just the dsp part of the Antimode? Sorry for asking, Just got my Antimode a few weeks ago.

Top Bottom