• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC types and their sonic signature

typericey

I’m not an expert but I’d like to try responding directly to the OP. (Just did a quick skim on the last 6 pages on Bose and Calexico’s ultrasonic obsession.)

IMO DAC chips per se don’t sound different, but rather, it’s the way the chips are implemented in the DAC that gives the DAC it’s sonic signature. The DAC either measures badly, poorly designed, designed by bean counters, is deliberately made to introduce euphonic coloration, or a combination of these.

Newer chips from ESS and AKM do measure better (THD, S/N, etc.) than older ones i.e. Wolfson, Burr Brown, Cirrus Logic, but I don’t know if the differences are audible. If only there is a way to do an AB listening test of different chips in the same DAC i.e. a “stock” Topping D70 with the latest AKM 4497’s vs. a modded D70 with ancient Wolfsons.

I would like to see the measurements with a realistic load, not only 100kohm pure resistive. The op-amps are tested at 600 ohm too.

For Calexico, FFT of Topping DX3Pro made by Amirm.

Attachments

• 1547854117915.png
    1547854117915.png
    90 KB · Views: 176

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Sigh ... O.K.

While reading here on most of the forums i see that scientists prefer to spend time to intimidate people that hear differences instead of making more serious measurements.
The most used argument is that we are all audiophiles fooled by what we read on internet.

I like to think that 'scientists' as well as seasoned engineers etc. are trying to educate people that are convinced they hear differences into finding/using ways to eliminate the 'knowing' part in their test methods.
Why ?
Because they found this out already and understand that the mind is tricky.

It would be a better idea that asr would spend time to find new measurements to improve scientific knowledge.

Why is this ASR's responsibility ?
What new measurements are needed to improve scientific knowledge ?

I hope you are not suggesting to look for 'the yet unknown signal' that still needs to be discovered and explains the discrepancy between measurements and what is heard sighted.
If so... I wish you good luck on your endeavors. There are many that have tried before.
Strangely enough, when those that did just that turned to rigorous blind testing methods their abilities seemed to vanish suddenly for them and others.

Instead of that asr relies on old measurements that have been elaborated mostly for marketting.

Can you elaborate why ASR relies on 'old' measurements that are intended for marketing ?
Is it possible that manufacturers use similar test equipment and standard tests that show all the aspects technical people needs to asses operation of the DUT as Amir (or some other measurement folks) do?
In fact Amir's AP is often even 'better' than those of some manufacturers.

It's not complicate to have idea for new tests:
With no band limited measurements

IS it needed or do you feel it is needed ?

- thd vs freq at different levels

This has been measured many times.
What do you think the plot below shows ?
index.php

Add to this that it is common knowlegde amongst engineers that the highest amount of THD is at 0dB FSD (max level).
Do you see the upwards bend around 5 to 10dB ? That's where distortion starts to creep up again when nearing 0dBFS.
The lower you go in level the more the distortion products drown in noise. This is what is shown in the above graph.
Do you feel Amir needs to do full THD sweeps at different levels say 0dB, -3dB, -10dB, - 40dB and -90dB and between DC and 100kHz just to please a few readers ?
Do you have any idea how much time it takes to take good measurements and effort this takes and if showing all this is feasable in the forum format of ASR ?

If you want to see those plots just look on RAA and other websites that sometimes do this. Aside from some -3dB plots in case the DAC seems to distort heavily there is no added value for simple engineers to see these plots as what is shown here is worst case. It only gets 'better'.
Well... for most R2R implementations things get worse at lower levels though due to practical .

- same with different samplerates and bitdepths

This too isn't a 'new test' and exists. When an anomaly is found during tests Amir also publishes these. When you don't see them assume the best and don't expect an evil Amir to NOT measure it on purpose or not post it to fool audiophiles.
I suggest you use the time to educate yourself and read relevant threads on ASR and other websites that don't adhere to sighted evaluations.
Find scientific articles about digital everything and learn.
All of the above is shown in articles and measurements. It is common knowledge.
Then ... once you know all of this by heart and you have some interesting remarks or test methods just suggest them and come up with actual ideas for tests.
What you do not seem to grasp is that by showing 44.1kHz reproduction you are showing worst case. When someone decides that he will only publish the audible frequencies then so be it. Look for the measurements you need elsewhere.

Just because the forum has the words audio, science and review in it does not mean they are obligated to show all possible measurements and show them all. There are other sites that do. The auteur can decide which plots are relevant and show issues they encountered instead. That does not mean the device is not scrutinized properly.

- finding ways to measure dsd

What is it that needs to be measured 'more' about DSD ?
It is the most simple concept of digital and well defined. What measurements are shown is how the known aspects of it can be shown. Some even take it further for specific reasons.

- testing the noise produce by the PSU of the dac and by the usb cable up to ultrasonic frequencies

Why would one need to probe the PSU of the DAC ?
Also each separate voltage rail ?
Referenced to specific grounds ?
On the power pin of each essential component ?
You want capacitors measured as well ?
ALL these results should be published as well even if they do not reveal anything of concern ?
Should data like PSSR (PSRR) of the components where the noise is measured be included (data sheets or links to it) ?
All that matters is what signal comes out of the analog outputs. You see.. that includes noise on the various voltage rails and ground(planes).

Having said that you are correct that there is something that is never measured (or should I say almost never measured).
This is common mode noise.
Common mode noise is noise that is present on both signal wires (ground and signal or signal+ and signal-) that has no influence on the signal.
That noise can result in audible nasties/hum in downstream gear when something is not designed properly or not connected properly by a groundloop.
Groundloops are hard to figure out because they need to be measured in a different way and can frustrate folks to no end.
If you want to know then ask the manufacturer for their EMC tests (they SHOULD have had these performed).
Then you can 'see' how that device measures.
Alas ... it does not show how such a device will perform when improperly connected and how it interacts with other devices.
These tests merely show how much 'garbage' it emits on all its in and output ports measured under strict conditions both 'conducted' and 'radiated' (radio waves) and where the acceptable levels are that once have been established.
Another unfortunate thing is that these are not 'audiophile' levels but practical ones.
There will be no pleasing you I'm afraid.

- testing how the filter of the dac deal with the nyquist image and finding at wich frequencies it's located

I think you missed all the published plots that show this. When measurements show there are issues that are deemed important it will be elaborated on and shown. You demand even when there is nothing of concern it still must be shown and not for you alone but for the rest of the world.

This has been discussed over and over again and you keep on bitching about it.
Either seek the info elsewhere or use arguments that will appeal to the measurerment guys that are compelling.

- trying to find tests with complex signal to see if there are differences between dacs

More complex than what is out there already ? Noise, multitone, nulling music, phase, time related ?
Do you have any suggestions what meaningful different tests (that do not already exist) are really needed and say something about aspects that are not covered ?

Instead of trying to improve scientific tests asr try to fight against people that need more proof and asr call them audiophiles.

ASR is not trying to fight against people that want (I would not say need) even more proof. It is trying to show relevant measurements and on the side explains and tries to answer questions and suggestions.
What is often questioned is HOW some folks that have 'tested' equipment and have drawn their conclusions based on test methods that have been known (for decades already) to be flawed.
Audiophile is not a negative word... Audiophool (or audiofool) is.

And asr is just arguing that these tests have no need.
How do they now that these tests are not needing without doing them?

Experience ?

Also how do they know if a dac has a failure in design without doing them?
It's not scientific at all.

Who says tests weren't done ?
One could decide not to do additional tests when it is not deemed necessary based on preliminary tests that suggest there may be something wrong.

It seems they are fooled by the marketing of classic tests that don't show all that can be showed.

A: all people can be fooled. Technical guys as well.
B: I think Amir tests equipment as to verify claims made by manufacturers and does not rely, nor is he fooled, by marketing at all. Consumers are.

Tests done show only the better aspects of the dacs.
To be revealing they should show worst aspects of the dacs.

Revealing the worst aspects is exactly what is being done here. Those plots are the ones that are shown.

For this reasons i don't trust much on asr.

Then move on to other sites that you do trust.

Their measurements show only one aspect of dacs where all dacs perform about the same.

the measurements show relevant aspects where all DACs perform the MOST differently and closest to borders of audibility. One can also test and publish aspects of DAC's where the results are far outside the audible range. Most DAC's perform more similar within and well outside the audible range at higher bitrates/depths so would do the opposite of what you want.
44.1 and DSDx1 are the worst case scenario and show the most problems.

That's why asr believe they all sound the same.
That's just misinformation.

Where does ASR believe all DACs sound the same ?
Where is the misinformation about this ?

DACs are measured far, far, far beyond any audible limits.
This means that certain measured differences are well below audible thresholds and thus won't change the sound.
Audible limits are often debated. Some place them at higher or lower limits than others.
THAT part can be discussed and debated. There are listening tests for it to act as personal evidence.
Not everyone has had similar training and hearing abilities for certain aspects or equipment that is capable of reproducing all there is.
The problem is here HOW the 'listening tests' are performed. It is infinitely more easy to f' this up than it is to test in a proper way.
THAT is the root cause of the discrepancy between measurements and listening tests.
Along with experience/abilities and understanding of measurements.

Those days people should be careful on what they read. Lot of things are made for money not for what they should be.

Indeed people should be wary of what they read.
Especially websites that merely 'test' sighted and with obvious motivations for endorsing a product.

All products are made to make a profit for the owner(s) of the company that makes/sells what they sell.
When only the best of the best would be available everything will be crazy expensive and durable and have looks that please every one on the planet.
Also It would have to support all formats. There would be little to choose.

This is why ASR tests the cheaper stuff. To see which products perform well (enough) for the price. It can even be so that a $9.- product measures good enough yet shows measurements that are clearly inferior to more expensive items but can also be the other way around.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I would like to see the measurements with a realistic load, not only 100kohm pure resistive. The op-amps are tested at 600 ohm too.

There aren't many devices with a 600 Ohm or complex load at the input aside from some pro gear with balanced inputs using transformers.
Most devices are purely resistive and between 10k and 100k.

For outputs of devices that drive transducers a more realistic load can be used.
The problem is what that load should look like.
When using speakers phase and impedance can be all over the place over the entire audible range and beyond.
Also consider that back EMF differs with speakers due to differences in mechanical damping and XO filters.
There simply is no way one can simulate all different circumstances.
What can be done (and exists) are 'standardized' complex loads.

With headphones impedances can range between a few Ohm and 600 Ohm or even higher. Especially multi-armature drives and 2 or 3 way headphones can have wildly varying impedances.
Here too one has to test with a few loads that cover most loads.
In this case often resistive 32, 60, 120 and 300 Ohm are tested.
Some even tests at 8 Ohm or 16 Ohm and 600 Ohm for instance.

Input loads are not pure resistive. There is am input low-pass filter like 500ohm+1nF. Indeed, 10kohm is more realistic load tham 100kohm.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
In a lot of cases there is indeed a low pass filter.
Not in all cases so adding such a 'network' would have to comply to a standard.
Just winging a value or using that of a particular amplifier is not much more realistic than a purely resistive load connected with 1 or 2 meters of RCA cable to the measurement equipment.
I don't know if there are 'standards' for this though. If there are I bet the AP will have add-ons or it could be switched in there.

With the cited values the input is still resistive in the audible band.
The -3dB point is at 300kHz in the mentioned case so it has no influence in the 10Hz - 50kHz range.
As the output resistance of most sources is well below a few hundred Ohms the filter frequency will only become slightly lower in that specific case.
I don't think it is consequential for the outputs of DACs for instance as these usually drop off steeper before the 100kHz mark anyway.

Maybe it could be fun for one of our resident measurers, those curious enough, to measure the output of a DAC on a standard load and once with a 11k preceded by a 470 Ohm and 1nF cap just to see if the difference is big enough to warrant using this.
My suspicion is that in the audible band it won't change anything.

Calexico

@solderdude
So tell dac designers that they loose time by trying to improve their filter and how they do the noise shaping.

For imd test i read the sound blaster g6 review by amirm and it revealed some thd at low freq.
Other tests didn't show anything.
He was lucky that the imd test had this low frequency.
If the thd problem was at a different frequency he would have seen nothing and missed the problem.
That prooves that tests that are done can miss something.
Then please stop saying that everything heard is placebo.
Ok asr don't want to give exhaustivity of tests then asr must not say that everything is placebo.

If you were coherent you would keep the cheapest dac that measures good.
But amirm keep the dx3pro wich is quite expensive and keep his very expensive dac to listen on speakers.
I wonder if any scientist on asr would keep only the cheapest ones that measure enoughly good.

Can we have a list of the dac of the asr scientists to see if they believe what they claim?

If none has a cheap dac it's a paradox.
That mean they prefer to spend money knowing that they won't hear differences. It's not logical and coherent.

THW

Forum Donor
switched off ignore on calexico to see what was going on because its weird seeing people here seemingly arguing with themselves.

turns out I shouldn't have switched off ignore in the first place.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
switched off ignore on calexico to see what was going on because its weird seeing people here seemingly arguing with themselves.

turns out I shouldn't have switched off ignore in the first place.
Me too. I just realized that after your post. Now it all makes sense.

The input impedance of Soulution 701 monoblock amplifier is 2.3kohm on XLR. I do not believe the THD remain the same like 100kohm load impedance for all output stages.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
@solderdude
So tell dac designers that they loose time by trying to improve their filter and how they do the noise shaping.

Why ?

@solderdude
For imd test i read the sound blaster g6 review by amirm and it revealed some thd at low freq.
Other tests didn't show anything.
He was lucky that the imd test had this low frequency.
If the thd problem was at a different frequency he would have seen nothing and missed the problem.
That prooves that tests that are done can miss something.

No, it proves my point quite well.
Amir's test did NOT miss it and because he noticed odd behaviour that should not be there he investigated it further and found issues.
There is no 'luck' involved here at all.. just proper measurements.

@solderdude
Then please stop saying that everything heard is placebo.
Ok asr don't want to give exhaustivity of tests then asr must not say that everything is placebo.

I never said everything heard is placebo. Please show me where I said this.
Also ASR doesn't say everything is placebo.

What I said is that it is perfectly fine to use your ears, in fact I insist.
My point is when you do test using your hearing you SHOULD test without knowing which device is playing (when comparing) and that the devices are level matched.

@solderdude
If you were coherent you would keep the cheapest dac that measures good.
But amirm keep the dx3pro wich is quite expensive and keep his very expensive dac to listen on speakers.
I wonder if any scientist on asr would keep only the cheapest ones that measure enoughly good.

Actually I do keep the cheapest DAC that measures (and sounds) good.

The cheapest ones do not always offer what one needs under all circumstances. Such as output levels, connectivity, bitrate or file type support.

an we have a list of the dac of the asr scientists to see if they believe what they claim?

What list with which believed claims ?

If none has a cheap dac it's a paradox.
That mean they prefer to spend money knowing that they won't hear differences. It's not logical and coherent.

You sound like Spock... only his reasoning is more logical at times.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The input impedance of Soulution 701 monoblock amplifier is 2.3kohm on XLR. I do not believe the THD remain the same like 100kohm load impedance for all output stages.

Would you suggest that in the future Amir should use a 2.3kOhm load when measuring balanced inputs based on one type/brand of load ?
Which value would be suited for RCA ? 1k, 5k, 10k, 20k, 50k or 100k or even 1MOhM or 10MOhm .

Most opamps perform admirably driving 2kOhm which often is used as a load when measuring opamps.
Distortion increases at lower resistance loads (which are also tested resistive unless the tested device is intended to drive transformers or different loads)

Are you aware of any standards as to how audio devices have to be measured that normally would drive a (pre)amp or other active device ?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I personally haven't seen any difference in measured distortion over 1kohm load. 2k+ is almost the ideal test load for those opamps. 100k wouldn't do any better. Higher input impedance on the other hand is more sensitive to induced noise. That's another story tho.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I’m not an expert but I’d like to try responding directly to the OP. (Just did a quick skim on the last 6 pages on Bose and Calexico’s ultrasonic obsession.)

IMO DAC chips per se don’t sound different, but rather, it’s the way the chips are implemented in the DAC that gives the DAC it’s sonic signature. The DAC either measures badly, poorly designed, designed by bean counters, is deliberately made to introduce euphonic coloration, or a combination of these.

Newer chips from ESS and AKM do measure better (THD, S/N, etc.) than older ones i.e. Wolfson, Burr Brown, Cirrus Logic, but I don’t know if the differences are audible. If only there is a way to do an AB listening test of different chips in the same DAC i.e. a “stock” Topping D70 with the latest AKM 4497’s vs. a modded D70 with ancient Wolfsons.
Not necessarily bur brown or cirrus logic, namely pcm1792/1794 and cs4398. Best implementation is certainly on par or even better than current substitutes. The reason why most older gears don't measure as well is because there weren't superb accessible test equipment being used. Or they simply don't care about how they measure after certain point. Most companies only specify their product to be >20-20khz frequency response and <0.01% distortion. Some model like teac ud501 can reach 0.00009% thd at 1khz. And cs4398 can reach similar result with a bit attenuation. At -20db can even reach 0.00005% thd at 1k. With paralleling implementation to minimize noise it certainly can be better than many implementations of new chips.

Would you suggest that in the future Amir should use a 2.3kOhm load when measuring balanced inputs based on one type/brand of load ?
Which value would be suited for RCA ? 1k, 5k, 10k, 20k, 50k or 100k or even 1MOhM or 10MOhm .

Most opamps perform admirably driving 2kOhm which often is used as a load when measuring opamps.
Distortion increases at lower resistance loads (which are also tested resistive unless the tested device is intended to drive transformers or different loads)

Are you aware of any standards as to how audio devices have to be measured that normally would drive a (pre)amp or other active device ?

Yes, I suggest 2kohm load. Why 100k and not 2k ? There is any problem with 2kohm ? When you want a Thd=0.0002%, the load impedance matter.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As someone who's training was done many years ago my standard load for line outputs is 600 ohms. If an opamp output, balanced or unbalanced does better than 0.02-0.03% THD into 600 ohms, then I'm happy the device is working properly. In practice, it'll most likely to be used into a bridging impedance of around 10k, so the distortion will likely be lower, but as long as the distortion is well below audibility, that's quite good enough for Government work.

Occasionally, a device will have the minimum load specified, in which case I test at that load, otherwise 600 ohms is a good number to use.

S.

brial05

I like the OPs question ... may I rephrase in a different way?

( apologies if my English / choice of words is not correct )

For years, I have seen many reviews / interviews where the manufacture will say plainly .. "we know the sound / taste of our listeners" .... Peachtree comes to mind in this regard if I remember correctly having said such.

My rephrased question:

If a manufacture is trying to shape their DAC sound, where would we see that in Amir's testing?

Other questions would be ...
How do they shape the sound?
Are popular DACs on this forum doing such? ( Tone Board, Toppings )

I do not intend to hi-jack, I feel the above would all help the OP in his initial question.

Kindly

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If a manufacture is trying to shape their DAC sound, where would we see that in Amir's testing?

Frequency response, mostly. Distortion and noise if it's REALLY pathological. Same as any other piece of electronics.

"Trying" is not the same as "saying they're trying" or "succeeding." Marketing of parity product must be creative.

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I get it, I totally get it, some of you guys love to see excellence in engineering well beyond minimal thresholds of audibility in DACs. It’s something you value as being well done and you can appreciate as quite an accomplishment based on your perspective from your own fields of work.

But there is absolutely some irony or a paradox in telling people they are spending their money on certain types of gear that doesn’t make any difference in sound and stereotyping them for it and then going out and spending money on a DAC that is way in excess of what you need for sonic transparency and perhaps in many cases doesn’t add anything practical at all to your gear in terms of performance or functionality. :) I do agree it’s great @amirm is here to help you separate the wheat from the chaff. I respect the perspective and I find it fun to read the reviews too.

Now. . . I have a real actual question—could ultrasonic frequencies ever have an impact on perception of audible frequencies? Even at the extremes?

I assume this could be answered with some book knowledge from someone in the right field of expertise. Don’t worry, I am not going to over-generalize or pull any kind of preposterous gotcha if the answer is yes. I know it wouldn’t extend to home audio. And if the answer is no I’ll have no further questions about it.

If I don’t get a reply I will assume nobody here knows the answer and leave it alone. No biggie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom