• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac to amp rca vs xlr?

thetrystero

I've narrowed down my amp and dac options for the elac dbr62. All that's left is for me to decide if I should go the xlr or rca route. Would there be any audible differences? If not would getting the xlr versions help future proof my setup?

The two dacs I'm considering are the e30 for rca and smsl su8 v2 for xlr and the amp will be the audiophonics nc252mp rca or xlr version (same price) paired respectively with each other. I'd rather no go the rca to xlr converter route.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
All that's left is for me to decide if I should go the xlr or rca route. Would there be any audible differences? If not would getting the xlr versions help future proof my setup?
The audibility difference between the two will be negligible. XLR will give a better crosstalk spec and XLR is becoming more common with each passing day so it is the future. As a added plus ground loops are less common with XLR.

OP
T

thetrystero

The audibility difference between the two will be negligible. XLR will give a better crosstalk spec and XLR is becoming more common with each passing day so it is the future. As a added plus ground loops are less common with XLR.
Ah I see. So I'll invest in the xlr then (su8 is more expensive than e30)

What are ground loops and why is it a disadvantage? How will I know if my xlr amp or dac uses ground loops?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah I see. So I'll invest in the xlr then (su8 is more expensive than e30)

What are ground loops and why is it a disadvantage? How will I know if my xlr amp or dac uses ground loops?
Ground loops are a bad thing. A ground loop or earth loop occurs when two points of a circuit are intended to have the same ground reference potential but instead have a different potential between them. A ground loop will cause a buzzing sound and sometimes it can be loud and annoying. If your equipment has a ground loop you will hear it when you power ON and listen.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm curious about the DAC choice of the SMSL SU-8 v2. It is a little older model with pretty good spec although things have changed considerably in the market since it was tested here at ASR. Are you interested in investigating the newer models of DAC with XLR output? I'm not expert at all the various DAC models available but there are peeps here that are and they may be able to direct you to a different DAC that is newer and maybe better spec than even the SMSL SU-8 V2

OP
T

thetrystero

I'm curious about the DAC choice of the SMSL SU-8 v2. It is a little older model with pretty good spec although things have changed considerably in the market since it was tested here at ASR. Are you interested in investigating the newer models of DAC with XLR output? I'm not expert at all the various DAC models available but there are peeps here that are and they may be able to direct you to a different DAC that is newer and maybe better spec than even the SMSL SU-8 V2
Yes any recommendations are certainly most welcome. I didn't realize that was a little older. It was just mentioned a lot and measured quite well. Eventually I hope to save up enough to get the adi-2 fs but until then what do you have in mind?

OP
T

thetrystero

The Schiit Modius has newer DAC technology and specs out a fair bit better than the SMSL SU-8 v2. The Schiit Modius was tested at ASR here. It sells for USD $199.00 direct from Schiit.

i'll be using this in the living room for my TV as well. will the lack of remote and volume control be a big issue?

i will connect the TV to the toslink i reckon. he test says toslink is "degrades performance a fair bit". but the very next graph says "toslink in/xlr out very good" . how do i interpret this?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Schiit Modius has newer DAC technology and specs out a fair bit better than the SMSL SU-8 v2. The Schiit Modius was tested at ASR here. It sells for USD $199.00 direct from Schiit.

Leaving aside any better measurements , and the arguments that additional SINAD etc between these devices is probably not going to be audible, the SMSL has one big advantage over the Modius and many other cheaper XLR output DACs- it has a remote which can be invaluable for armchair sloths like me with a distance between sofa and rack with the amps on. Many other $200 balanced DACs dont. Not the Geshelli, the cheaper Soncoz etc.

I can set the amp to max desired output for the day and vary volume with the SMSL remote on the DAC end

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
i'll be using this in the living room for my TV as well. will the lack of remote and volume control be a big issue?
If you want remote control then the SMSL for this price range is the DAC for you.

i will connect the TV to the toslink i reckon. he test says toslink is "degrades performance a fair bit". but the very next graph says "toslink in/xlr out very good" . how do i interpret this?
Toslink and coax usually have higher jitter than the USB connection. It's the way they operate.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Keep in mind that both the DACs are in the top blue zone of the SINAD tests. That means they are transparent sounding. So if you want remote control then go for the SMSL (SINAD 110) but if you want the newer DAC chip and a bit better performance in the SINAD and IMD then the Schiit (SINAD 114) is the slightly better one.
sinad 1.png

sinad 2.png

jasonhanjk

A properly design amp will have good crosstalk, irregardless of single ended or differential input. Most XLR input amp have better crosstalk because the good designer is not available, yet.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
If you decide to go with the SMSL SU-8 (v2) there's a decent sale on it right now over at Drop:

OP
T

thetrystero

Is there such a thing as a volume control module with remote sold independently?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there such a thing as a volume control module with remote sold independently?

You're basically looking at a pre-amp there. Very useful if you have a few different sources you want to put into one (power) amp but it isnt going to be cheap if its quality and has a remote. (see the Schiit Freya reviews on here as an example)

If your only source is one (or 2 or 3) digital, then a DAC with volume attenuation (aka a digital preamp mode) will be far easier with little no no impact on the sound in real world conditions.

OP
T

thetrystero

Is there such a thing as a volume control module with remote sold independently
If you decide to go with the SMSL SU-8 (v2) there's a decent sale on it right now over at Drop:
that looks tempting, however after shipping it'll cost more that what i can get it for locally (converted around USD220) and i won't have to wait. thanks for the heads up though.

Top Bottom