• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal Connect -> Dirac -> DAC -> Power Amp | Options & eARC?

Rotor

Forum Donor
Hi all, first post. Glad I found a this reason based site. Thanks for all the great information.

Wondering if someone can offer some advice or suggestions:
After buying, then returning, an Arcam SA30 (which appeared to do everything I want on paper) I am looking to achieve the setup I mention in the subject line above.
Additionally (though I am possibly willing to give this up) I would like and eARC/ARC connection as well.

Here are two options I have thought about. Would love to hear more suggestions. Especially how/if I could replace the MiniDSP product with something else that offers Dirac Live for a lower cost?

MiniDSP SHD --> AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC XLR = Done! (but no eARC and the SHD is not cheap)

BlueSound Node N130 --> MiniDSP SHD --> AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC XLR = Done! (as above, but with eARC. - I would never use the DAC in the Node)

....or either of the above combinations with a MiniDSP Studio and external DAC in place of the SHD?

I guess what I am trying to create is a better version of a BlueSound Powernode ;)

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @Rotor! Welcome to ASR.

A low cost option would be WiiM Mini->DDRC-24->MPA-S250NC.

Despite the DDRC-24's RCA output, I would still choose the MPA-S250NC XLR, since it's possible to make an RCA output impedance balanced, which has all the advantages of proper XLR:

OP
Rotor

Rotor

Forum Donor
Hi @Rotor! Welcome to ASR.

A low cost option would be WiiM Mini->DDRC-24->MPA-S250NC.

Despite the DDRC-24's RCA output, I would still choose the MPA-S250NC XLR, since it's possible to make an RCA output impedance balanced, which has all the advantages of proper XLR:
Thanks, that is indeed a good option! (bit perfect gapless now seems to work on the Wiim)

While I am not averse to some basic soldering, I was also looking at the flexibility of the AUDIOPHONICS AP300-S250NC, which appears to be essentially the same product but with both RCA & XLR inputs. Is there any reason to suspect it would test any differently to the AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC (RCA) that was reviewed by Amir?
Realisically, I don't expect XLR to make a noticable difference in my use case (very short runs, flexible placement). But it would be nice to keep the option of both.

link to AP300-S250NC: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...ifier-ncore-nc252mp-2x250w-4-ohm-p-18419.html

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
I was also looking at the flexibility of the AUDIOPHONICS AP300-S250NC.
Is there any reason to suspect it would test any differently to the AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC (RCA) that was reviewed by amirm?
I don't think so.

OP
Rotor

Rotor

Forum Donor
My old Rotel 1570 is dead, and I need music now ;)
...so I purchased the following:

- Bluesound Node N130. Used, but in 'as new' condition for 250€. (about the same price as a new WiiM Pro+) This gives me all the streaming connectivity I want, plus the convenience of eARC. This will be used only for a digital.
- Topping E50 DAC. Looks to be a nice DAC, with a balanced output.
- AUDIOPHONICS AP300-S250NC - (Ncore NC252MP with XLR and RCA inputs)

This allows me to get up and running again, while thinking more carefully about how to best incorporate Dirac into the system. Perhaps a miniDSP Flex Digital with a Dirac license is the way to go? The DDRC-24 is a great option but would bind me to that DAC (which is no doubt better than my ears), but a pure digital DSP appears to give me more flexibility for the future. Am I looking at this the right way?

Top Bottom