• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac/preamp with trigger

OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Thanks for the info i see it is a bit expensive for a streamer and the dac is not so good. Anyway i found that the D50s turns on with the signal so i can use a streamer and the D50s on the same socket that Willem suggests and meet the 6watt requirements. I almost made my mind for the D50s now i am looking for a streamer with apps from the smartphone

Azookey

promise you won't hear a difference ;) Plus you can take the digital output into a different dac if that's a concern.

Let us know what streamer you go for. Personally I had a hard time finding a cost effective streamer that could support various services plus a home NAS.

OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
From my research i think Kodi on my Android Box could be good enough. The power amps have 26db gain is that enough to be driven from the D50s?

OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Ok guys Topping D50s ordered. Also found a hi res streaming software for windows called hysolid that streams hi res audio to dac and comes with smartphone app.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
I have received my master slave power strip and I got it working. When I turn on my RME DAC the power strip turns on the power amp and a few other gadgets. The consumption of just the DAC was not quite enough to reliably switch on the slaves, so they were switched on and then off again. However, combined with the CCA the consumption of the master is enough for a reliable result.

TimW

Major Contributor
Do you think nvidia shield is a good streamer?
Reviews of the nvidia shield are mostly all positive and I've considered getting one but I like my Roku streamers. If you're going to be using a TV with your system all of the time, you could use the master/slave power strip with the TV plugged into the master outlet. That's basically what I'm doing right now. TV's draw more than enough juice to flip the switch.

OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
So to listen to music i must turn on the tv that sounds weird does not it? Anyway if i connect on the master socket the dac and the android box that should work but the problem is that it overheats and i need to shut it off to cool down so this effects the consumption and might turn off the slaves. Maybe i should build a htpc for streaming.

Last edited:
OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Does the roku output native hi res? It is hdmi only from what i see.

OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I have received my master slave power strip and I got it working. When I turn on my RME DAC the power strip turns on the power amp and a few other gadgets. The consumption of just the DAC was not quite enough to reliably switch on the slaves, so they were switched on and then off again. However, combined with the CCA the consumption of the master is enough for a reliable result.
So if you turn down the volume control does it stay down if you power it off?

Willem

Major Contributor
I don't understand the question. The volume control has nothing to do with it. If I switch off the DAC the power strip senses this and then switches off the slaves, including for example the power amplifier. If I turn on the DAC the power strip senses this and switches on the slaves. This is near instant.

OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
No i am asking because when you power on the dac gives full output to the power amp or you have a preamp? . It is better when volume control is down when powering on.

Willem

Major Contributor
I don't have a separate pre amp since the RME ADI 2 is in fact a pre amp and since I no longer have analogue sources. The electricity consumption of the DAC does not depend on volume. You are right that it is better not to power on at full power but I tend to turn down volume before I switch off. No mishaps yet. The DAC does not produce a thump, but the power amp does and did. Anyway, all of this is unrelated to the power strip.

OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Can you notice when you turn the dac on where the volume control is i mean is it down where you left it or is it in another position?

Willem

Major Contributor
It is where I left it, but where that is is only visible once it is turned on.

OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
So when you turn down the volume does it show something like - 44db for example then turn off so when you turn on it should display - 44db or is it different

OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
That is good i hope the D50s does the same after all the RME costs a lot more thank you for your time.

Novak

Does anyone know if Matrix DAC "m-link" can be used to trigger a power amp (12V)?

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Willem

Major Contributor
Neither my ADI-2 Dac/preamp nor my Quad 606-2 power amp has a trigger so I use a 15 euro master/slave power strip. It works very well and switches more than just the power amp. The 8 watt threshold was a bit too high for the ADI so I had to add my Chromecast Audio to raise the joint power consumption above 8 watt. That was all.

Top Bottom