• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC for HD660S

nguye tuan

Dear All
I just get HD660s and Atom amp few day ago. and now looking for a DAC(under 200$) which would make 660s sound better
i look through some threads and saw few option as Topping D30,E30,ODAC.What is the best choice.Could it make sound much better or just a bit.
Greatly appreciate if any other suggestion.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The mentioned DACs won't make the HD660S sound 'better'.
Choose one with the connectivity (inputs and outputs) you need and the looks that you like.
When the cheapest option fits your requirements then buy that one.

OP
N

nguye tuan

I’d get the Atom DAC to make a nice stack on your desk. As mentioned above, there won’t be any difference in sound between the options you’re considering - they’ll all sound good.
So if i get one.would it make our combo sound much better ? If not i will spend money for other amp (smsl sp200 or thx 789)

OP
N

nguye tuan

The mentioned DACs won't make the HD660S sound 'better'.
Choose one with the connectivity (inputs and outputs) you need and the looks that you like.
When the cheapest option fits your requirements then buy that one.
i tend to use dac with my dx150 via coaxial cable but if sound does not get better i think i will spend money for other amp (smsl sp200 or thx aa 789)

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
i tend to use dac with my dx150 via coaxial cable but if sound does not get better i think i will spend money for other amp (smsl sp200 or thx aa 789)

All the amps and DACs you're looking at will sound exactly the same (as long as the amp can output enough power, which the Atom can).

I would just buy whichever DAC on your list fit your requirements/aesthetics best and relax and enjoy the headphones.

If you want to tinker further to improve the sound, I would suggest EQing the headphones instead. That will actually make an audible difference.

OP
N

nguye tuan

All the amps and DACs you're looking at will sound exactly the same (as long as the amp can output enough power, which the Atom can).

I would just buy whichever DAC on your list fit your requirements/aesthetics best and relax and enjoy the headphones.

If you want to tinker further to improve the sound, I would suggest EQing the headphones instead. That will actually make an audible difference.
dont get your point bro so.these dac i mentioned dont make any improvement right ? so,If i want more soundstage and detail.what should i do bro

Zensō

Major Contributor
dont get your point bro so.these dac i mentioned dont make any improvement right ? so,If i want more soundstage and detail.what should i do bro
Soundstage and detail are properties of headphones, not DACs (don’t believe the irrational imaginings you read on HeadFi). Buy any of the DACs you’ve mentioned, feed it into your Atom, and save your dollars for headphones where you’ll actually hear a difference.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The DACs in question won't change the sound that you hear (that's a good thing).

Basically just ask yourself whether you need a remote, bluetooth, display etc. and then make your choice accordingly.

i see E30 ONLY 130$ but top tier @@ is this chart reliable
Welcome to ASR! Unlike other sites there's no presumed correlation between price and performance. The E30 ticks all the boxes, unless you want bluetooth.

Your headphones + your amp + any of the DACs you've mentioned = audio delight!

bhigh

Dear All
I just get HD660s and Atom amp few day ago. and now looking for a DAC(under 200$) which would make 660s sound better
i look through some threads and saw few option as Topping D30,E30,ODAC.What is the best choice.Could it make sound much better or just a bit.
Greatly appreciate if any other suggestion.

Any of the DAC that you mentioned will be fine. Look for something in your price range and use the reviews here to determine which has the features you need. The ODAC, SDAC, D10,, E30 etc. would all prove transparent enough for your other equipment.

The HD660 like a lot of power and the Atom is able to deliver.

I have a Topping D50 and Drop THX AAA 789 for my HD6XX and I'm very happy with the combination. There's no reason to spend that much, unless you want to.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

My point is that they don't improve on perfect. For all the DACs you've mentioned, distortion and noise are well below 0.001%. That means that, even if you are listening at 100dB (which is unlikely), the level of noise and distortion they produce will be well below zero dB. Even if you could isolate the noise/distortion, you would not be able to hear it. And with the signal playing, there is literally zero chance of hearing it.

In other words, these DACs are transmitting every bit of detail and every recorded cue giving rise to perceived soundstage that the recordings they are reproducing contain. There is nothing else there that is audible to extract.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

First welcome!

That is not an opinion, it is a fact: Past a certain degree of performance all DACs and all amps sound the same. The DACs you mentioned, are beyond just adequate, they are amongst the best in term of objective performance. Once matched to produce the same SPL, they sound the same.

The Atom Amp is as good as it gets BTW. Its objective performance is superlative by any metrics. It will power most headphones on the planet with ease. SO call it a cornerstone of a great headphone system, frankly a steal.
The DACs you listed are all good good. Their performance is superior to the human auditive apparatus. IOW blind and not knowing which is whihc you can not discern between these. They will all sound the same. I'd get the Topping E30 and be set for life.

It is one of those things that many print magazine, ezine and other websites will not tell you.... and it bears repeating:

Past a certain degree of performance, all DACs and all amps sound the same.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
In terms of sound quality, you don't really need to buy a standalone DAC at all. With distortion at -105 dB, your iBasso DX150 is likely already audibly transparent (as are most modern smartphones for that matter).

OP
N

nguye tuan

Soundstage and detail are properties of headphones, not DACs (don’t believe the irrational imaginings you read on HeadFi). Buy any of the DACs you’ve mentioned, feed it into your Atom, and save your dollars for headphones where you’ll actually hear a difference.
thank for you advice bro.

OP
N

nguye tuan

Any of the DAC that you mentioned will be fine. Look for something in your price range and use the reviews here to determine which has the features you need. The ODAC, SDAC, D10,, E30 etc. would all prove transparent enough for your other equipment.

The HD660 like a lot of power and the Atom is able to deliver.

I have a Topping D50 and Drop THX AAA 789 for my HD6XX and I'm very happy with the combination. There's no reason to spend that much, unless you want to.
appreciate your appoint i also aim AA789 for an upgrade in future.If i only use single end.is it worth to go

OP
N

nguye tuan

In terms of sound quality, you don't really need to buy a standalone DAC at all. With distortion at -105 dB, your iBasso DX150 is likely already audibly transparent (as are most modern smartphones for that matter).
i pair dx150 with atom via 3.5 to rca cable.i could be able to adjust volume both in dx150 and atom.so that mean double amp.is this matter bro ?

bobbooo

Major Contributor
i pair dx150 with atom via 3.5 to rca cable.i could be able to adjust volume both in dx150 and atom.so that mean double amp.is this matter bro ?

No that doesn't matter, because the distortion of the Atom is so low that the combined distortion of both will only be ~0.5 dB higher than the DX150's alone. If you want to minimise the distortion from your DX150 though, maybe turn its volume down slightly from its max, but this is highly unlikely to make an audible difference anyway.

Top Bottom