• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sound Blaster X1 or Helm Bolt Audio

dariuxzy

Hi, I have a Sound Blaster X1 from Creative but I feel like I need more clean sound. So I was looking for something better, what do you recommend under 100$? I saw the Helm Bolt Dac, is it better than the X1? I'm just looking for a clean sound for my jazz music. I use the DAC a lot as an aux output for my speakers, not for the headphones. Thank you

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had the X1 a few times and the Tanchjim Space is better. The X1 increases voltage depending on the ohm rating it detects, with 2.4v at 120 ohm or higher. It's a problem since Creative support said there's no manual way to select it. For low ohm planars it's a problem, but it will power the 600 ohm DT880 fine with zero headroom left.
The Tanchjim Space on 4.4mm balanced will be better if you have low ohm stuff.

OP
D

dariuxzy

I've had the X1 a few times and the Tanchjim Space is better. The X1 increases voltage depending on the ohm rating it detects, with 2.4v at 120 ohm or higher. It's a problem since Creative support said there's no manual way to select it. For low ohm planars it's a problem, but it will power the 600 ohm DT880 fine with zero headroom left.
The Tanchjim Space on 4.4mm balanced will be better if you have low ohm stuff.
Does an aux in have low ohm?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does an aux in have low ohm?
@Dunring was referring to you driving headphones directly from the X1. Which can definitely have a low impedance and be a challenge for USB dongles.

OP
D

dariuxzy

@Dunring was referring to you driving headphones directly from the X1. Which can definitely have a low impedance and be a challenge for USB dongles.
Okay, but I don't use headphones with the DAC, I use the dongle to connect the phone to my speakers with aux. And I was looking for something better than the X1. Is Helm Bold Audio superior?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, but I don't use headphones with the DAC, I use the dongle to connect the phone to my speakers with aux. And I was looking for something better than the X1. Is Helm Bold Audio superior?
As long as none of the soundblasters effects are on you are unlikely to get any benefit from changing dacs. You might want to look into speaker placement, room treatment and eq though.

OP
D

dariuxzy

As long as none of the soundblasters effects are on you are unlikely to get any benefit from changing dacs. You might want to look into speaker placement, room treatment and eq though.
Okay thanks. So the X1 is already a good dac

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay thanks. So the X1 is already a good dac
It's older sibling measured well enough. Think the X1 measures very slightly less well on SNR but shouldn't matter in practical terms.

OP
D

dariuxzy

It's older sibling measured well enough. Think the X1 measures very slightly less well on SNR but shouldn't matter in practical terms.
If I have to replace it one day, will the Helm Bolt be okay? I like it because it's very small and it also has higher resolution (I know that higher resolution doesn't matter so much to our human ear). I heard it has a narrow soundstage, does it affect listening with speakers?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If I have to replace it one day, will the Helm Bolt be okay? I like it because it's very small and it also has higher resolution (I know that higher resolution doesn't matter so much to our human ear). I heard it has a narrow soundstage, does it affect listening with speakers?
No idea. Good dongle DACs are very easy to find. See what is around at the point when you need one.

OP
D

dariuxzy

No idea. Good dongle DACs are very easy to find. See what is around at the point when you need one.
Okay, thank you, but now you or someone else what dac type c do you recommend under $100?

Top Bottom