• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC - es9026pro better than a pair of es9038q2m?

dman777

My Yamaha r-n2000a amp has a es9026pro DAC. It is really good. However, I am thinking about switch to a analog amp. In which case, I would buy a eversolo a6 streamer which has twin es9038q2m DAC.

In my ESS dac research, the pro versions has 8 channels while the non pro version has 2 channels. Strictly speaking of the DACs and assume both implementations are 100% correct.... would the es9026pro be a better dac than a pair of es9038q2m? To me, the 8 channel is still more channels than a pair of 2 channels. But the model number is also lower on the es9026pro so I thought I would ask here.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My guess is the only reason your Yamaha uses the 8 channel pro chip has to do with cost. It's the same chip used in their AVR's so they buy in huge bulk and use them in a lot of their components. Might even use the same chip in their CD players. You wouldn't hear any difference between them unless the implementation was a cluster mess.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sound like your gas is talking… just enjoy what you have :) It looks absolutely fantastic and performance seem decent enough. The Yamaha Room correction should add much more SQ than a different amp and DAC would ever do (unless it also better room correction).

OP
D

dman777

Sound like your gas is talking… just enjoy what you have :) It looks absolutely fantastic and performance seem decent enough. The Yamaha Room correction should add much more SQ than a different amp and DAC would ever do (unless it also better room correction).
Thanks, yes I do love my Yamaha r n2000a. The only reason why I'm switching, is because Amazon had the as 3200 on sale for $2,000 off. I couldn't pass up a good deal. It has not been delivered yet so I have not been able to compare.

But being that the n2000a is 4k and the 3200 is 8k, I am hoping the 3200 will sound even better making it worth having to get a separate streamer

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But being that the n2000a is 4k and the 3200 is 8k, I am hoping the 3200 will sound even better making it worth having to get a separate streamer
Price does not correlate well with sound quality. It looks like performance wise, they aren’t very different. You will not hear any difference. Just get a cheap streamer and your done!

OP
D

dman777

I do love the 2000a! I think Amazon music sounds a little better than tidle on it but I don't think it's MQA compatible.
20230707_223341.jpg

OP
D

dman777

Price does not correlate well with sound quality. It looks like performance wise, they aren’t very different. You will not hear any difference. Just get a cheap streamer and your done!
You're correct on this. The specs are almost the same and I don't understand why it's twice as much

Greenman

You're correct on this. The specs are almost the same and I don't understand why it's twice as much
Just read the Yamaha literature on the 3200 and it’s quite clear why it’s double the cost. Now how much of that design work, parallel balanced design etc translates to better sound I don’t know but it looks a very nicely designed and built amp.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
hold on for an answer here. @voodooless is the expert on this topic and i am sure he appreciates the opportunity to chime in :cool:
I’m hardly an export, just an enthusiast;)

But objectively, the difference is about 10 dB better SINAD for two channels for the 9038Q2M. However this is for 8-channel mode for the 9026PRO. In stereo mode both DNR and THD should be a bit better than this spec. So in reality the difference is less than the spec sheet would indicate.

Obviously all of this depends totally on the implementation.

OP
D

dman777

Just read the Yamaha literature on the 3200 and it’s quite clear why it’s double the cost. Now how much of that design work, parallel balanced design etc translates to better sound I don’t know but it looks a very nicely designed and built amp.
Both amps are parallel balanced designed. In the literature I didn't see much difference to explain the 4k extra cost on the price tag.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My Yamaha r-n2000a amp has a es9026pro DAC. It is really good. However, I am thinking about switch to a analog amp. In which case, I would buy a eversolo a6 streamer which has twin es9038q2m DAC.

In my ESS dac research, the pro versions has 8 channels while the non pro version has 2 channels. Strictly speaking of the DACs and assume both implementations are 100% correct.... would the es9026pro be a better dac than a pair of es9038q2m? To me, the 8 channel is still more channels than a pair of 2 channels. But the model number is also lower on the es9026pro so I thought I would ask here.

Did you compare their specs? The 9038q2m has 10 dB higher SINAD, but the 110 dB for the 9026Pro is already high enough for humans. Keep in mind the dac chip is just one part in the signal path.

RonnieB

Thanks, yes I do love my Yamaha r n2000a. The only reason why I'm switching, is because Amazon had the as 3200 on sale for $2,000 off. I couldn't pass up a good deal. It has not been delivered yet so I have not been able to compare.

Hi from oz my friend, think more about dollars and less about pretty; dollars v sense and dollars to the cents
Not knocking you not knocking your choices, i spent 20 lookin'. And I started at the pointy end of luxman, didn't even get to accuphase...
If you wanna play round with $1k or less, try a clean used creek destiny. Even that will blow your socks off. Been likened to Jeff Rowland kit in your old magazine, see review Bob reina
Tho all probably too late

Last edited:
Top Bottom