• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac choice

Paspolc

Hi everyone,

I need an advice from you. Which Dac would you suggest me to buy between Sanskrit 10th Mk II and a Schiit modi3?

Thanks for help
Pasquale

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Between in what sense? Do you want to put it really in between those and you’re looking for something that matches visually? In between SINAD wise? Size wise, price wise? Output voltage wise? Color wise? What?

JSmith

Master Contributor
OP
Paspolc

Paspolc

Between in what sense? Do you want to put it really in between those and you’re looking for something that matches visually? In between SINAD wise? Size wise, price wise? Output voltage wise? Color wise? What?

Quality sound, which would you choose?

OP
Paspolc

Paspolc

They are all transparent (for the most part). So choose with your wallet, eyes and needed features.

Which of the two do you think sounds better?

I am really not too technical, i have just approached Dacs and trying to learn, going through forums, youtube etc., to understand how they work. The only difference i could perceive between the Sanskrit and the Schiit, it seems this last one more solid, from a constructive point of view. As far as sound is concerned, i should listen to them, but i don't have the possibility to do it.

My goal is to connect a Dac to my laptop and listen to flac music from my stereo system, that's it.

Thanks.
P.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How much money are you willing to part with?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am really not too technical, i have just approached Dacs and trying to learn, going through forums, youtube etc., to understand how they work. The only difference i could perceive between the Sanskrit and the Schiit, it seems this last one more solid, from a constructive point of view. As far as sound is concerned, i should listen to them, but i don't have the possibility to do it.

My goal is to connect a Dac to my laptop and listen to flac music from my stereo system, that's it.

Thanks.
P.

When two DACs are 'transparent' it means that any sonic differences between them should be imperceptible to the human ear. We live in an age where guaranteed DAC 'transparency' can be purchased for around $100. Once you get to the point where transparency is acheived, the decision on which particular DAC to purchase should be based on features (inputs, outputs, display size/type, remote control, etc.), aesthetics and ergonomics.

There's more about transparency and what is required from a measurement perspective (which will help you understand the reviews on ASR) here: Audibility thresholds of amp and DAC measurements | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

OP
Paspolc

Paspolc

When two DACs are 'transparent' it means that any sonic differences between them should be imperceptible to the human ear. We live in an age where guaranteed DAC 'transparency' can be purchased for around $100. Once you get to the point where transparency is acheived, the decision on which particular DAC to purchase should be based on features (inputs, outputs, display size/type, remote control, etc.), aesthetics and ergonomics.

There's more about transparency and what is required from a measurement perspective (which will help you understand the reviews on ASR) here: Audibility thresholds of amp and DAC measurements | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

ok, excellent. now things start to become clearer.

OP
Paspolc

Paspolc

How much money are you willing to part with?

they are more or less equivalent in price, maybe the sanskrit is slightly cheaper, so I would opt for this one.

Top Bottom