• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC blind tests? EVER?

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The different guitars seem to drift a bit in the image plus there are obviously multiple guitar tracks confusing things a little. In no set up were they centred though. You might have accidentally enabled mono on that particular I/O profile on the RME , or significantly adjusted the L/R balance without knowing. Or possibly got one of the crossfeed settings enabled.
Thank you! Mono was accidentally engaged, not sure how I did that…feel pretty stupid now!

Trell

Major Contributor
Thank you! Mono was accidentally engaged, not sure how I did that…feel pretty stupid now!
The status screen on the RME DAC shows most things you’ve enabled for the active output.

The RME has a ton of features so accidents happens. Been there done that. :)

RobL

Forum Donor
The status screen on the RME DAC shows most things you’ve enabled for the active output.

The RME has a ton of features so accidents happens. Been there done that. :)
Well, I’ve had it a year now and still haven’t take the time to really learn it :facepalm:. I don’t have any idea how it was switched to mono…I have it connected to a smart plug and eveything is turned on by Alexa, lol. I never go near it. Oh well, if anyone is looking for me I’ll be in the corner with the dunce cap on, lol.

Trell

Major Contributor
Well, I’ve had it a year now and still haven’t take the time to really learn it :facepalm:. I don’t have any idea how it was switched to mono…I have it connected to a smart plug and eveything is turned on by Alexa, lol. I never go near it. Oh well, if anyone is looking for me I’ll be in the corner with the dunce cap on, lol.

You can have set it to mono using the remote as the default function of button 1 is mono, unless you’ve remapped the buttons. See section 9.1 on page 18 in the user manual for details.

RobL

Forum Donor
You can have set it to mono using the remote as the default function of button 1 is mono, unless you’ve remapped the buttons. See section 9.1 on page 18 in the user manual for details.
Yep, I think that’s what’s happening. Listening tonight and low and behold, it switched back to mono. I must be hitting that button somehow.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well this thread just saved me about 3000 euros. I had my doubts about "upgrading", but now I'm definitely not changing my dac/streamer
;) Caveat emptor. The audio companies go to great lengths to glamorize their stuff.

xeizo

I can't fault my S.M.S.L D-6 which was 140€, everything sounds mint regardless of genre and there's totally no noise. I don't believe anything ten times more expensive would sound better on even one single parameter. Nevertheless, if you're happy with the purchase it's what counts. I'm happy

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Zeos speaks sense here (for once), “buy a competent dac with the features you want as they all sound the same”.

DilbertPugh

Forum Donor
Zeos speaks sense here (for once), “buy a competent dac with the features you want as they all sound the same”.

:) Agreed.
Watched this only yesterday, it was the first time his stream of 'consciousness' (for want of a better word) made any sense. A refreshing antidote to the disingenuous bol**cks many YouTubers reviewers spout about the 'subtle differences' they hear.

Last edited:

RDoc

People really wanting better sound should spend more time learning about acoustic science and DSP room correction
Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" is readily available for much less than the price of a single HiFi USB cable. IMHO it's very well written and quite informative. He's pretty blunt too.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" is readily available for much less than the price of a single HiFi USB cable. IMHO it's very well written and quite informative. He's pretty blunt too.
Maybe he should offer a more expensive audiophile edition.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I had the chance this weekend to listen to the new Linn Klimax organik streamer . We listened through a pair of analog Genelec 8030C* , and we also did listen with the organik through a focusrite 2i2 analog input and a windows machine to record the signal and then making listening comparisons with the Genelec 8030C .

The worsening to the sound using AD/DA/windows playback with Focusrite 2i2 was unfortunately big and clear for everyone to hear . Linn organik from its xlr out directly into the Genelec 8030C was much better sounding . And yes - we listened with the same sound level.:)

So all off you who really believe an extra AD/DA cant make a difference - you are simply wrong in your belief.

* The analog active Genelec 8030C is really good enough to show such differences in the sound, and my own more expensive 8340 with digital input using a DDC with a Mac didnt have a chance in sound quality in this case, at least this was my feeling about it when I listened at home to my speakers afterwards. No controls in this case.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had the chance this weekend to listen to the new Linn Klimax organik streamer . We listened through a pair of analog Genelec 8030C* , and we also did listen with the organik through a focusrite 2i2 analog input and a windows machine to record the signal and then making listening comparisons with the Genelec 8030C .

The worsening to the sound using AD/DA/windows playback with Focusrite 2i2 was unfortunately big and clear for everyone to hear . Linn organik from its xlr out directly into the Genelec 8030C was much better sounding . And yes - we listened with the same sound level.:)

So all off you who really believe an extra AD/DA cant make a difference - you are simply wrong in your belief.

* The analog active Genelec 8030C is really good enough to show such differences in the sound, and my own more expensive 8340 with digital input using a DDC with a Mac didnt have a chance in sound quality in this case, at least this was my feeling about it when I listened at home to my speakers afterwards. No controls in this case.
Not sure if one should expect a difference or not, but I'm surprised it was big and clear difference. How did you match levels?

Top Bottom