• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC as a living room pre

B-Flow

In an effort to size-down our traditional living room setup (giant receiver, tower speakers). I want to try using something like a Topping DX3 as a mini-preamp coupled to some powered studio monitors. I need BlueTooth and Optical (check!), remote control of input and volume (check!) but it would be nice to have an analogue input just in case. I dont think there is anything in this category which does that (since it would require either an A/D stage OR an analogue volume control) but wanted to ask if there is some obvious alternative I've missed.

Of course, something like Fluance or PSB's powered speakers have it all built-in...but I really dont like that they are simple powered speakers (overloaded with DSP shenanigans) and not true active speakers. :)

staticV3

Master Contributor
I want to try using something like a Topping DX3 as a mini-preamp coupled to some powered studio monitors.
The DX3 has a built-in headphone Amp and so is more expensive.
If you only need Line out to your monitors, consider the SMSL C100 (SE out, $120) or the SMSL D-6 (Bal out, $170)

OP
B

B-Flow

@Purité Audio Thank you for pointing those out. No BlueTooth though and price is stratospheric. :)

@staticV3 Those SMSL's are definitely an option, thank you for bring them to my attention. Especially the D-6 which would give me bal output for about the same price as the DX3 with SE.... but for some reason the only listing on Amazon.ca is a ships-from-china seller (I always try to stick with "fullfilled by Amazon").

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Minidsp flex?

Top Bottom