• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC and amp combos did not give same clues when running online blind tests. Why? What would be the desired clue?

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Dear fellow members, please know that I can't do the kind of blind tests requested by dominikz any time soon. My family members can't be bothered.
: (

So, please don't keep pushing this kind of test unless you want to get together to do the blind tests with me.
; )

Instead, please look at post #3. Look at all the setup details. Anything seems wrong? Anything else I can check or measure?

Thanks in advance!!!

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As you can see in my post prior to your reply, I already updated my sentence before you post your last reply.

I also felt that using "arguing" is a bad choice of word. You have been sincerely offering suggestions and "arguing" is not the right word of choice.

I changed from "arguing" to "Instead of keep asking me doing the kind of blind tests that I can't do anytime soon".

Again, I truely appreciate you spending time giving suggestions. Without your suggestions, I wouldn't have motivated to do some frequency scans. This lead me to finding interesting high frequency slope from the Topping combo.

Please don't be upset. My fault entirely for using the wrong word.

Have a great day!
Thanks and no worries - no ill feelings on my side! :)

Dear fellow members, please know that I can't do the kind of blind tests requested by dominikz any time soon. My family members can't be bothered.
: (

So, please don't keep pushing this kind of test unless you want to get together to do the blind tests with me.
; )

Instead, please look at post #3. Look at all the setup details. Anything seems wrong? Anything else I can check or measure?

Thanks in advance!!!
It is perfectly understandable if you can't (or even just don't want to) do more controlled testing for any reason. It was never my intention to push you to do any extra work. :)

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
@dominikz and @Robin L suggestions of using matched voltage is helpful. Although I can't get family members to help with doing blind tests of online blind tests, I can at least do one round using matched voltages and provide more information to other members about the filters, voltages, volume setting, etc. That way, if other members would like to replicate my findings, they can use same settings and thus easier to compare results.

Here is my second round results using matched voltages (as close as I can get). The changes from the results in post #3 are:
Topping L30 using filter 3 instead of filter 2.
Topping combo 1ms now can't get additional click clue. Instead I got tonality change clue.

Here is a screen shot of my settings and results:

dac_amp_headphones_results_2_with_matched_voltage_Topping_vs_Gustard.PNG

Last edited:
OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Here is a video of me doing 20/20 for 5ms using Topping combo with Hifiman headphones. The extra click clue was so obvious that I only need to listen to the clip once to know which is which.

Note:
If I play back the video using my Samsung phone's built-in speakers, I hear tonality change instead.
: )
So, it really depends on the chain.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom