• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC and Amp combo with DSP or analogue adjustment

s0larsoul

Hi! I've been looking for the device, that is decent dac+amp combo, has some sort of sound tuning, and doesn't cost all the money in the world. There was the perfect one, Monolith by Monoprice THX 788. However, I can't find it anywhere, from where I could import it. So, here is the list of things, that are absolutely a must for me:
  • decent dac
  • pretty powerful amp (I'm into planars)
  • has optical and usb input
  • source agnostic - I'm planning to connect wide variety of devices, not PC only
  • has some sort of eq - be it parametric, graphic, analogue knobs, FIR, whatever I can't think of but gets the job done
Things that THX 788 has, and are pretty good to have too, but not neccessary:
  • it's single package unit
  • coaxial input
  • DIRAC Sensaround (or any other spatialization tech)
My budget isn't too big, around 400$, and I'm okay with buying used stuff. I know there is RME ADI-2, that does those things, but it's way out of my budget. Right now, as I see it, my only option is used Schiit Modi + Loki + Magni. I would like to know, if there any other alternative, that I am missing.

unpluggged

RME is worth saving up a bit. It's the endgame DAC/amp for your use case. There is no alternative near its price range for your requirements, and as a bonus it comes with great manufacturer support.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you aren't married to one box, I'd seriously consider the miniDSP Flex as the DAC. From your list:
  • decent dac
  • source agnostic - I'm planning to connect wide variety of devices, not PC only
  • has some sort of eq - be it parametric, graphic, analogue knobs, FIR, whatever I can't think of but gets the job done
  • coaxial input
  • DIRAC Sensaround (or any other spatialization tech) (can be upgraded with Dirac Live)
Just add the AMP of your choice. It also has multiple outputs and crossovers so you can integrate subs nicely. It also comes with a remote, a nice OLED display, physical volume control, and a bunch of other features you didn't list but may find nice.

OP
S

s0larsoul

@unpluggged my entire headphones collection (Ananda, 5xx, 6xx, glorious Superlux HD681) costs less than this thing alone :) I've got them all "used", except 681s, just open box condition for great discount. So it doesn't even seem reasonable to spend this amount of money.

@anotherhobby Thanks, I'll research miniDSP Flex, looking good!

Trell

Major Contributor
@unpluggged my entire headphones collection (Ananda, 5xx, 6xx, glorious Superlux HD681) costs less than this thing alone :) I've got them all "used", except 681s, just open box condition for great discount. So it doesn't even seem reasonable to spend this amount of money.

@anotherhobby Thanks, I'll research miniDSP Flex, looking good!
So what would have done if you for them for free? :)

radix

Major Contributor
The Anthem STR preamp has ARC Genesis. They also have an integrated preamp-amp version. I use the STR preamp after using the minidsp SHD for a while. I think the UI on the STR is much better, and it has phono inputs. I find I need to fiddle with the ARC Genesis correction more than the SHD. The SHD definitely lets one get more down in the weeds with custom filters.

Oh, oops, I missed your budget.

What speakers do you have? One approach is getting active speakers + minidsp Flex or similar.

Joffy1780

Are you only going to be using headphones?
Hi! I've been looking for the device, that is decent dac+amp combo, has some sort of sound tuning, and doesn't cost all the money in the world. There was the perfect one, Monolith by Monoprice THX 788. However, I can't find it anywhere, from where I could import it. So, here is the list of things, that are absolutely a must for me:
  • decent dac
Things that THX 788 has, and are pretty good to have too, but not neccessary:
  • coaxial input
  • DIRAC Sensaround (or any other spatialization tech)
My budget isn't too big, around 400$, and I'm okay with buying used stuff. I know there is RME ADI-2, that does those things, but it's way out of my budget. Right now, as I see it, my only option is used Schiit Modi + Loki + Magni. I would like to know, if there any other alternative, that I am missing.

OP
S

s0larsoul

So what would have done if you for them for free? :)
I guess I would die of happiness, then ressurrect (miracle #2) and buy AD-2 with all that saved money and a little bit on top :)
The Anthem STR preamp has ARC Genesis. They also have an integrated preamp-amp version. I use the STR preamp after using the minidsp SHD for a while. I think the UI on the STR is much better, and it has phono inputs. I find I need to fiddle with the ARC Genesis correction more than the SHD. The SHD definitely lets one get more down in the weeds with custom filters.

Oh, oops, I missed your budget.

What speakers do you have? One approach is getting active speakers + minidsp Flex or similar.
Oh, no, it's not about speakers at all, headphones only. Sorry, I should've mentioned it in the first post

Joffy1780

I would look at a used Minidsp Flex and a Topping L30ii.
Topping MX3s has tone controls and looks to have decent power to drive most headphones, but I haven't seen any measurements for it.

Trell

Major Contributor
I guess I would die of happiness, then ressurrect (miracle #2) and buy AD-2 with all that saved money and a little bit on top :)
For what you’re asking for there’s really only the RME ADI-2 DAC FS that does that. It’s expensive, though, as you noted.

Another way, as you wrote, is to use DSP software running on a PC or similar. Many do that with great results and are happy with that. Can be much cheaper.

I own the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, for the record.

OP
S

s0larsoul

I would look at a used Minidsp Flex and a Topping L30ii.
Topping MX3s has tone controls and looks to have decent power to drive most headphones, but I haven't seen any measurements for it.
MX3s looks about right, albeit low-ish power output. I'll look into entire Topping lineup, maybe there is more powerful alternative, big thanks!
For what you’re asking for there’s really only the RME ADI-2 DAC FS that does that. It’s expensive, though, as you noted.

Another way, as you wrote, is to use DSP software running on a PC or similar. Many do that with great results and are happy with that. Can be much cheaper.

I own the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, for the record.
I'm okay with DSP on PC, it's there is no DSP on any gaming console or smart TV. I just can't afford ADI-2 now, all I was asking - maybe there is cheaper alternative, that I don't know of. THX 788 was such an alternative, but now it's non-existent

radix

Major Contributor

Oh, no, it's not about speakers at all, headphones only. Sorry, I should've mentioned it in the first post

For headphones, you want to either do it on your computer (e.g. SoundSource on a mac) or the RME dac. The RME dac has a limited 2-shelf + 5 band EQ. But you can generate curves for that based on the ortatory.

Or you could put something like a minidsp (not dirac) in between your source and the amp.

I don't know how you'd use dirac with headphones.

Marc

OP
S

s0larsoul

Welp, spent evening and morning looking into Shenzhenaudio offerings, and other devices - really, there are none that could do the things I want it to, and fits my budget. However, I've got crazy idea - could I use a dedicated PC to do all the DSP possible? I've got an old Ivy Bridge i7 PC that I don't use, so the processing power should be there. Could fit in the neat tiny ITX case and alter the sound however I want to. It all comes down to a question - is there a device, that could take optical (would be nice, but not neccessary - usb), convert it to usb, pci-e or whatever the pc could understand and feed the signal into pc? So the entire chain looks like source spdif > pc with dsp > dac > headphone amp > headphones

Elitzur–Vaidman

I'm going to be a bit wild here and suggest a fiio bta30pro, qudelix 5k, 3.5mm to dual rca adapter, and a topping L30 (or a portable amp).

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welp, spent evening and morning looking into Shenzhenaudio offerings, and other devices - really, there are none that could do the things I want it to, and fits my budget. However, I've got crazy idea - could I use a dedicated PC to do all the DSP possible? I've got an old Ivy Bridge i7 PC that I don't use, so the processing power should be there. Could fit in the neat tiny ITX case and alter the sound however I want to. It all comes down to a question - is there a device, that could take optical (would be nice, but not neccessary - usb), convert it to usb, pci-e or whatever the pc could understand and feed the signal into pc? So the entire chain looks like source spdif > pc with dsp > dac > headphone amp > headphones

The link in my signature talks through a few ways of accomplishing what you want to do on a RPi based system. It isn’t too hard to adapt to a Mac or PC system.

Michael

OP
S

s0larsoul

I'm going to be a bit wild here and suggest a fiio bta30pro, qudelix 5k, 3.5mm to dual rca adapter, and a topping L30 (or a portable amp).
I've looked into it, however I couldn't understand how exactly the FiiO BTA30Pro operates. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Firstly, I'm not going to use bluetooth audio, so that's out of the way. If I understand correctly, I connect source device with say toslink to FiiO, use FiiO Control app to equalize, take the toslink output from FiiO and connect to some other dac. This way the signal is all digital before it enters a dedicated dac, no analog conversions are made. OR I could take the line out of the FiiO, using it essentially as a equalizable dac on its own. Am I correct or there are some caveats that I miss, and it doesn't work this way?

OP
S

s0larsoul

The link in my signature talks through a few ways of accomplishing what you want to do on a RPi based system. It isn’t too hard to adapt to a Mac or PC system.

Michael
What a read, will take some time to soak all that in :)

Elitzur–Vaidman

I've looked into it, however I couldn't understand how exactly the FiiO BTA30Pro operates. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Firstly, I'm not going to use bluetooth audio, so that's out of the way. If I understand correctly, I connect source device with say toslink to FiiO, use FiiO Control app to equalize, take the toslink output from FiiO and connect to some other dac. This way the signal is all digital before it enters a dedicated dac, no analog conversions are made. OR I could take the line out of the FiiO, using it essentially as a equalizable dac on its own. Am I correct or there are some caveats that I miss, and it doesn't work this way?
Unfortunately if you're not interested in using Bluetooth, the bta30pro isn't particularly useful. I was suggesting that you use the bta30pro as an LDAC transmission source for the qudelix 5k which would then apply the dsp required. The L30 was just in case the qudelix doesn't have high enough output.

I personally have my bta30pro connected to my PC via USB and my TV via toslink. I also use the bta30pro's toslink output to connect to my Topping d70s for my speakers.

Top Bottom