• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

D&D Grimm ATC comparison

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quite an interesting comparison indeed.

I am always a bit puzzled by those youtube reviews though. In many cases, I can hear significant differences on my PC using middle-range Audio Technica or Sennheiser headphones. Now, there are youtube demos that are clearly manipulative, let's forget about those. But here, unless I there are biases and tricks I am not aware of, it seems they put some real effort into controlling the conditions.

After going back and forth in the video for a while yesterday and today (I wish they would put markers on music start, I lost a bit of time taking time stamps), my personal rating would be 1) Grimm 2) D&D 3) ATC (that one markedly not as good as the others imho). That's highly subjective ofc.

But what bugs me is that I am able to hear clear differences in what are supposed to be 3 very good speakers on a reproduction system that should be the clear limiting factor. The D&D bass sounds strikingly different than the ATC one imho. One seems hyper tight, the other a bit mushy...

I feel I hear a much bigger difference between the Grimms and the ATC in a youtube video than between my own Focal and Giya in my own home, at the sweet spot. Again, that's a bit disturbing tbh as I am intellectually challenged by the idea that the limiting factor (PC + headphones) should equalize things. (yeah, I know I am rambling here)

I could be satisfied, since my own prior bias, which is that FR doesn't tell the whole speaker story by far, seems to be confirmed in this case but, instead, I remain puzzled.

I guess one could say that the Grimm just interacted better with that particular room...

Note: I spent a bit of time going back and forth but did not download the soundtrack to check levels.

Edit: I've only heard the D&D in real life and the video did not totally match my live impression.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I believe the FR does more or less tell the whole story, I really should sit through it in its entirety , the bass of the 8Cs and the LS1’s can be adjusted within the speaker, did they match target curves with the non adjustable ATC?
Keith

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe the FR does more or less tell the whole story, I really should sit through it in its entirety , the bass of the 8Cs and the LS1’s can be adjusted within the speaker, did they match target curves with the non adjustable ATC?
Keith

I tried to skip all the comments in order to avoid being "told what I should pay attention to" or be influenced by their small talk - just bounced around the video to mark similar moments in the tracks being played. But yes, if you have the opportunity, your thoughts would be welcome.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have or rather had all those three speakers here, ( I had the active 50’s rather than 100’s ) I have the Grimm and 8Cs and the Hedd main towers mentioned at the end of the video, Kiis and GGNTKTs too and hopefully some Deni‘s new design.
I feel they would have been better off setting up all three speakers and instantly switching between them they are all good speakers the more modern designs definitely have advantages in terms room integration though, ultimately it comes down to personal taste.
Keith

Geert

Major Contributor
they are all good speakers the more modern designs definitely have advantages in terms room integration
This is key. Put these speaker in a normal listening room, worse case close to side walls, and you'll understand why the D&D is so popular.

Top Bottom