• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cybershaft Platinum Review (External Clock & PS)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 168 87.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 8.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters

Tks

Major Contributor
Usually a distribution amp is used to achieve that.
Last I heard of that term, was when a Cable Guy was working a setup to the new placed I moved into. I didn't think such a thing existed for audio. Huh, the more you know. Thanks.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Cybershaft, the name alone says it all:

CYBER cy·ber, adjective
Relating to or characteristic of the culture of computers, information technology, and virtual reality. "The cyber age."

SHAFT /SHaft/, verb
Treat (someone) harshly or unfairly. "I suppose she'll get a lawyer and I'll get shafted."

Because the device's effect is only virtual, it stands to reason that the end user is being virtually shafted at point of sale.
Google says: https://www.google.com/search?q=sha...fCz8Q_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1286&bih=725&dpr=2.61
:D

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I know I'm missing something blatant, but how does this clock work to sync multiple devices with just one output?
Also you can run 75 ohm cables with T connectors to carry on to the next device. You just have to terminate the end one properly to prevent reflections.

1643230415699.png

Last edited:

Madlop26

The best way I can wrap my head around this audiophile behavior is as if audiophiles have disordered cognition, maybe like anxiety disorder or restlessness, and they semi-consciously feel like maybe buying this product will make me feel better! Just makes it sound more predatory... I guess there's a lot of money among ignorant audiophiles.
Don't be to harsh on them, to think that vast majority of people think that after dying will go to a place called heaven and be happy for eternity without any objective proof, makes me thinks subjective audiophiles are just a small foot note.

Eldus

CyberShaft huh, they sure give ya the shaft.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Cybershaft Platinum (Palladium) OP16 clock with its optional Ultra Pure Power Supply. It is on kind loan from a member. The clock costs US $1,457 and power supply, US $347.
View attachment 181901

While "DIY" in nature, I still like the look of these cases. Replacement spikes are provided for the feet as well as necessary cabling:
View attachment 181903

Normally audio DACs extract the DAC clock from incoming S/PDIF or Toslink inputs. But for asynchronous USB, use their own internal clock. In professional setups with many devices over large distance, a "master clock" is used to synchronize various ADC and DAC devices. At home we don't have such a use but somehow the application has morphed into "better clock" than what is inside your DAC. Some DAC companies provide their own external clocks. Here, we have an independent Japanese company providing it with various grades ("OP16" is one -- it ranges from OP11 to OP19).

I had a hard time finding reviews of this product but did run into this forum post:

View attachment 181906

I am amazed that his system was not relaxed before arrival of this unit. Wonder how he tolerated it that way....

This device was sent to me by the owner of SMSL VMV D3 so I chose to test it with that DAC.

Cybershaft Clock Measurements
Manufacturers of these clocks like to rave about the accuracy of the clocks in them. But we don't listen to clocks, we listen to analog output of the DAC and that is how I am going to test the effect of these units. Let's first test the VMV D3 with USB input and hence its own internal clock:

View attachment 181904

Now let's switch to using external Cybershaft OP16 clock:
View attachment 181905

I can't find any difference whatsoever other than minor run to run variations. Noise, distortion, etc. all seem the same. So we need a more precise test focusing on clock accuracy which is jitter. Let's again run the D3 with its internal clock:

View attachment 181907

Now let's change to Cybershaft:
View attachment 181908

As I suspected, performance gets worse, not better! We now have new jitter components we did not have before. Zooming into them we can see better:

View attachment 181909

How can this happen? Well, I don't care how good your clock is. When it has to travel over a cable and get extracted inside the DAC, it is liable to be worse than the one inside the DAC sitting close to where it is needed. Remember that I said the notion of a master clock was to get synchronization, not better fidelity and we see this here.

Discussion and Conclusions
It is amazing how our lay intuition leads of astray. We assume these clocks are like watches where more accuracy is better. Turns out we are not at all sensitive to absolute pitch as if we were, no one would be listening to analog sources! I can play my music 1% slower or faster (all the time) and you wouldn't know there is anything is wrong. What we care about is consistency of "speed" or clock. This type of variation causes jitter. So the fact that an external clock is "oven controlled," stable over time, etc. is of no value. What matters is that it doesn't vary over time. As I explained above though, best way to get consistency is with an internal clock right close to the DAC, not one across feet and meters of cabling. At best, such an external clock can match what is inside. At worst, it will make it perform worse as we see in the case of D3.

I run my jitter test in every DAC I review. Should that show clean spectrum, which it does in countless high performance DACs, then you don't need or want another clock. All you are doing is wasting money and possibly getting worse objective performance. Fortunately the levels of jitter created here is well below audibility so it doesn't do any harm other than to your pocketbook.

As to people thinking it sounds better, well, that is improper subjective testing for you. They connect the clock, focus into their music and all of a sudden hear detail they had not "heard" before. The combine it with wrong impression of what this device does to fidelity and they convince themselves of the improvement they provide. They need to do a simple AB test by switching the internal DAC and external DAC 10+ times blind and see if they get at least 8 right. Without it, they create folklore which causes people to waste money.

I should note that in the English translation of the Cybershaft webpage I did not find much of any reference to making things sound better so in that regard, I appreciated it but of course, the intent is obvious.

Needless to say, I don't recommend anyone use external clocks with their DACs unless they need synchronization with other devices.

I can't recommend the Cybershaft OP16 clock.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Ha, that forum post you quoted in your review (https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/37556-cybershaft-platinum-clock-mutec-mc3usb-wow/) really did actually make me laugh out loud - pure gold! I mean I understand how uninformed people can be swayed into imagining these differences, but it's just soooo funny to read stuff like that when you've got the measurements and are aware of the significance or insignificance of these things. People like this badly need to come on here to ASR to get some education and stop wasting their time & money.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last I heard of that term, was when a Cable Guy was working a setup to the new placed I moved into. I didn't think such a thing existed for audio. Huh, the more you know. Thanks.
It still doesn’t exists. Clock is not audio.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Maybe it's time to stop testing wasting time on these things.
Someones gotta show the public clear evidence of snake-oil products.
The great majority of audio sites would praise useless crap like this.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I give it points for style. The casework is sort of cool.

martijn86

From the SMSL VMV D3 review:

Actual performance is worse than a $9 dongle at lower digital inputs.
Jitter performance is very good showing good clock handling:

From the clock review:

This device was sent to me by the owner of SMSL VMV D3 so I chose to test it with that DAC.
As I suspected, performance gets worse, not better! We now have new jitter components we did not have before.

I feel really bad for the owner who just spend $5000 on what he probably thought was going to be absolute sonic perfection. And then it's just meh.
Better off with a Topping D10 balanced for $140 and $4860 for a custom tuned pressure absorber ($600), transparent Purifi amplifier ($1000), perfect point source speakers like the Kef R3's ($2000), optionally a fully kitted out MiniDSP Flex ($800) and $460 change for really pretty cables.
Imagine all of the above, in your possession, and then trading it all in and getting a DAC that gets beaten by a $9 dongle with an external clock that adds a little jitter. Talk about priorities.

I'm so glad we can just compare electronics based on facts and not all the fluffy BS from the traditional audiophile press.

I don't care how good your clock is. When it has to travel over a cable and get extracted inside the DAC, it is liable to be worse than the one inside the DAC sitting close to where it is needed.

Have you tried connecting the clock with diamond core cables? They add that little sparkle on top without sounding bright! (I imagine)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
These things have long been known. It's that people don't want to know.

Ralf Stocker

Amir, you made a mistake. You have to connect the "ISOTEK EVO3 Aquarius AC Power conditioner". Then angel sounds come out of the DAC.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You need their special 10MHz Distributor, but sorry to say it's Out of Stock.
Maybe folks could save some money and just pick up a Tice Audio Clock.
If your too young to know, Google it. ;)

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Maybe folks could save some money and just pick up a Tice Audio Clock.
If your too young to know, Google it. ;)

Thank you for sharing that. At least that would tell the time.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does this device work with newer DACs? And if you're an athiest?

Top Bottom