• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cybershaft Platinum Review (External Clock & PS)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 152 85.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 9.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

Neslo1108

Do you have any evidence of sound improvements from a clock? There are lots of claims to that effect, but no actual evidence I'm aware of.

Jitter has to be pretty high before it becomes audible.
No I have not the measurement equipment to measure but has replaced clocks in DACs with notable effect especially in the low frequencies and now that here there is measurement equipment available why not measure in range where there is difference in clocks.
What is your opinion level when it is becomes audible with phase jitter?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
...but has replaced clocks in DACs with notable effect especially in the low frequencies...

Is there evidence of this beyond anecdotal?

What is your opinion level when it is becomes audible with phase jitter?

I believe that it has become a boogeyman used to try to sell people on fancy clocks.

Here is a site that has varied levels of jitter that you can listen to. At what point is it audible to you?

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe that it has become a boogeyman used to try to sell people on fancy clocks.

Here is a site that has varied levels of jitter that you can listen to. At what point is it audible to you?

I listened to the sines only. Couldn't make out a difference between 1 (original), 4 (2µs RMS periodic) and 7 (8µs RMS periodic). Everything else was "dirty".

@Neslo1108 : same?

BTW, Welcome to ASR :cool:

voodooless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's in µSec! Clock jitter is in the order of pSec. Even 100 pSec is 0,0001 µSec, so orders or magnitude difference :eek:

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's in µSec! Clock jitter is in the order or pSec. Even 100 pSec is 0,0001 µSec, so orders or magnitude difference :eek:
Well. Then i guess it doesn't matter to me.

Not many people can say this: clock jitter is not my problem! (-:

DonR

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I listened to the sines only. Couldn't make out a difference between 1 (original), 4 (2µs RMS periodic) and 7 (8µs RMS periodic). Everything else was "dirty".

@Neslo1108 : same?

BTW, Welcome to ASR :cool:
I listened to the sines and could only hear noise at 8µS random as background hiss. All others were inaudible to me. The music masked all situations. Really, any device less than 1µS jitter can for all intents and purposes be considered jitter-free for the vast majority of people. Just like anything lower than 115db SINAD.

Top Bottom