• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crystal Filters

BKr0n

Have been looking around the web at odd filter designs and these showed up (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_filter). They seem to be used in rf filters a bit. What's the efficacy of them for audio? Can they be used in something like an ordinary analog filter?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the efficacy of them for audio?
Balsically none. There are basically no crystals working at audible frequencies, nor do we need filters with very high Q’s.

Also, for RF, things like distortion are way less import than in audio. I bet these filters aren’t doing very well distortion wise.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Balsically none. There are basically no crystals working at audible frequencies, nor do we need filters with very high Q’s.

Also, for RF, things like distortion are way less import than in audio. I bet these filters aren’t doing very well distortion wise.
That's not really a problem for RF since they're so narrowband. But I have no idea what you'd do with one for audio, unless you want just one note, ringing for several seconds afterwards :oops:

OP
B

BKr0n

That's not really a problem for RF since they're so narrowband. But I have no idea what you'd do with one for audio, unless you want just one note, ringing for several seconds afterwards :oops:
I was actually thinking more along the lines of anti-aliasing filters for an ADC. I figured the super high Q would be great for that.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was actually thinking more along the lines of anti-aliasing filters for an ADC. I figured the super high Q would be great for that.
You mean, somehow include one as a resonator? Even used that way, a high-Q filter corner will ring.

OP
B

BKr0n

Well poo. Guess it's back to the drawing board.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The sharper the filter cutoff, the more the step response rings. Mother Nature has it in for us ;)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why? You don’t need super sharp or steep analog filters because of the digital filters in the oversampling bit.

OP
B

BKr0n

The sharper the filter cutoff, the more the step response rings. Mother Nature has it in for us ;)
Oh great another overbearing mother :p

Why? You don’t need super sharp or steep analog filters because of the digital filters in the oversampling bit.
I wanted to use a SAR for real time signal processing. Figured if I was in the MHz range it wouldn't make a difference. Turns out I was wrong.

OP
B

BKr0n

Still at it I see… rolling your own ADC should be way down on your priority list.
I'm not a fan of calling it quits. If I want it a certain way, I need to put the work in. All there is to it.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not a fan of calling it quits. If I want it a certain way, I need to put the work in. All there is to it.
Are you also building a DIY nuclear reactor if you need to power your house instead of getting solar panels and a battery?

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Are you also building a DIY nuclear reactor if you need to power your house instead of getting solar panels and a battery?
A pocket portable nuclear reactor has always been a dream of mine. Unfortunately I keep running into paperwork and approval issues. So many rules and regulations that stifle innovation and creativity. Bubbleheads take this stuff seriously. :D

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
A pocket portable nuclear reactor has always been a dream of mine. Unfortunately I keep running into paperwork and approval issues. So many rules and regulations that stifle innovation and creativity. Bubbleheads take this stuff seriously. :D
Plus that lead-lined pocket would make the shirt a bit of a bother to wear, especially in hot weather, I'd think.
:cool:

EDIT: w -a - i - t... or are you thinkin' of a coat pocket reactor...
enlightenment dawns. :)

OP
B

BKr0n

Dude if I did I'd be making a lot more money than I am now lmao

OP
B

BKr0n

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you do get it to work though, you can honestly claim crystal-clear highs.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
:D :D :D :D :D
If you do get it to work though, you can honestly claim crystal-clear highs.
:D :D :D :D :D

Tell me how you're going to use that in a lowpass filter
Right... It's a "tuned circuit" (or "device") that can work in a bandpass or notch filter but we want a low-pass filter that passes everything in the audio range (or everything below the Nyquist limit) while blocking all higher frequencies.

Anti-aliasing seems to be a "solved problem". I've never heard aliasing, I've only heard-of it. I could probably intentionally create it by writing a "stupid" down-sampling algorithm.

Top Bottom