• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crutchfield vs Sonic Electronix (Car Audio Focused)

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I was wanting to make this because I don't see any recent comparisons between the two. FYI: Red Theme in pictures is Crutchfield while Blue Theme is Sonic Electronix. I spent too much time on this thread. I hope this thread helps you.

First off, "What's the big difference?". I would say Sonic Electronix specializes in Car Audio while Crutchfield "Does It All". Personally I think Crutchfield is best at Home Gear. Crutchfield is more Starter DIY friendly while Sonic Electronix assumes you already know about Car Audio. In terms of support, Sonic has a number and report system while Crutchfield has a number and live chat. In my experience, both support teams were great.

Documentation:

Crutchfield does offer documentation called MasterSheet. (Removing Panels To Get To Speaker). Sometimes Crutchfield has missing info (Ex: Speaker Ohms). The MasterSheet comes free with Radios and Speakers. When you do buy a Radio, you get the WireGuide (Free also) which tells you which wires to connect and wires that are not use. Sonic Electronicx doesn't offer vehicle-specific & radio-specific info.

MasterSheet:
Screenshot 2024-04-28 091342.jpg

WireGuide:
Screenshot 2024-04-28 091141.jpg

CF Wrong Info Example:
Screenshot 2024-04-28 084210.jpg

*All Regals of that era came with a Monsoon system. Most were a 6 system while some were 8-speaker. Both companies do not mention the 8-speaker system.

Services:

Crutchfield offers a service "ReadyHarness" which they connect your radio harness and factory harness adapter together, ready to connect. Honestly if you have a DIN radio, I would just use Posi-Twist-Its (Ironically cheapest at Crutchfield) and the WireGuide, save your money.
Screenshot 2024-04-28 084427.jpg

Screenshot 2024-04-28 084637.jpg

Speaker Selection:

Both companies websites will blindly let you buy the wrong ohm speaker that fits the factory hole (Assuming that your going with a stock radio and/or amp). I'm sure if you talk to both companies support, they would guide you to the correct speaker.

Crutchfield & Sonic Electronix Default Recommend (Great if you got an aftermarket radio & amp):

CF:
Screenshot 2024-04-28 083843.jpg

Sonic:
Screenshot 2024-04-28 084939.jpg

Manual Selected Correct 2 Ohm (There was no options 4 ohm DVC options):

CF:
Screenshot 2024-04-28 085418.jpg

Sonic:
Screenshot 2024-04-28 085552.jpg

Sonic thinks I can put a 6.5 back there.
Screenshot 2024-04-28 114630.jpg

On the Sonic side, a good chunk of speakers do not come with free speaker harness adapters, even on VIP products:
Screenshot 2024-04-28 115147.jpg

Cheapest 6x9 at Crutchfield comes with Free MasterSheet & Speaker harness adapters.
Screenshot 2024-04-28 115739.jpg

Same Speaker At Sonic:
Screenshot 2024-04-28 115931.jpg

*Harness is not discounted because of speakers.

Selecting A Head Unit:
For this example I used the "Pioneer DEH-S4220BT" to keep it fair (I know the radio doesn't support SWC). If you pay enough and if its the right radio, you'll usually get free install gear. Keep in mind without the SWC kit, the free gear got almost the same total price from both companies. Crutchfield gives me a heads-up on if the aftermarket would work with my factory amp. However with this setup, some aftermarket radios on standby send out enough voltage on the speaker outputs to keep the factory amp on 24/7, which drains your battery, they don't tell you this of this risk. Sonic Electronix does not tell you factory amp info.

Sonic Electronix Default:
Screenshot 2024-04-28 104103.jpg

Crutchfield Default:
Screenshot 2024-04-28 104633.jpg

*Low selection caused by weird Fitment warning
Screenshot 2024-04-28 104516.jpg

*I was able to install a JVC this size just fine in my old regal.

20240428_150953.jpg

*My old JVC compared to the OEM radio.

Crutchfield does have a little bit less stereos then Sonic Electronix. However both companies have exclusive radios. RetroSound for Crutchfield and Belva for Sonic Electronix, etc.

On Crutchfield I got 2 options. Free parts without the SWC kit or almost $60 USD with SWC kit.
Screenshot 2024-04-28 095057.jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-28 095345.jpg

For whatever Crutchfield says this Radio is not compatible due to fitment and the loss of OnStar. OnStar was killed off for Pre-2015 vehicles on December 2022.
Screenshot 2024-04-28 095114.jpg

For Sonic Electronix. I got no SWC option and got no fitment warning (I added the SWC kit for fairness).
Screenshot 2024-04-28 095457.jpg

For this Example:

If you pick just the free gear, there basically the same price with the same shipping speed.

If you pick the SWC option, Crutchfield is cheaper.

When picking between the two. With Crutchfield you get the MasterSheet, WireGuide, option for slower shipping for $2 discount & 119 Points (Under $5 to spend). With Sonic Electronix, this product applies for "VIP Guarantee" which is, 10% to spend later ($12 to spend), Free Return Shipping (Non-Defective reasons apply), 1 Year Extended Warranty, and 2-Business Day Shipping Guaranteed.

Shipping:

Crutchfield offers free 1-3 Business day shipping for all products. Sonic Electronix offers free 2-4 Business day shipping (Sometimes longer). Crutchfield orders $35 and up, get free shipping. Sonic Electronix get free shipping for orders $49 & up. Crutchfield orders that have free shipping get the option for slower free shipping for a $2 discount. Crutchfield orders under $35, get a $8 shipping fee. Sonic Electronix orders under $49, get a $7 shipping fee. Example pictures are from Pioneer example above.

Crutchfield:
Screenshot 2024-04-28 095618.jpg

Sonic Electronix:
Screenshot 2024-04-28 095724.jpg

Perks, Deals, and Discounts:

These notable deals are the ones that I spotted currently. Not including SiriusXM & Free Gear. Offers cannot stack.

Crutchfield:
  • Select Boss Radio Warranty Deal (Increased from 3 to 5 yrs)
  • Select JVC Radio buyers get 50% off of select JVC speakers.
  • Select Car Amps get 25% off of select Crutchfield-branded amp kits
Sonic Electronix:
  • Select Touchscreen Radios get a Free License Plate Mounted Rear View Camera.
  • Select Car Amps get a Free Wiring Kit.
  • Select Car Speakers get a Free Sound Damping.
  • Select Car Speakers get 25% Off of to Free NVX Speaker Installation Kit.
  • Select Subwoofers get Free 12-Gauge Belva 7-Meter CCA Speaker Wire.
  • Select Subwoofers get 50% Off to Free 16-Gauge Belva CCA 7-Meter Speaker Wire.
  • Select Subwoofers get 50% Off their Grilles.
  • Select Subwoofers get 25% to 50% off a Sealed Or Ported Box

Both companies have some sort of rewards system.

Crutchfield has a Points system for all products. Every $1 dollar spent is 1 Point (Not including taxes & shipping). Spend $5000 to get $100 off :facepalm:.
Screenshot 2024-04-28 113548.jpg

Sonic Electronix doesn't have a reward system for all products but has a system for select products, which is "VIP Products". VIP Products benefits do not cost extra. VIP Bux can be used on any order over $100. VIP Bux are added after the return period has ended, fyi.

Perks are:
Screenshot 2024-04-28 113949.jpg

Screenshot 2024-04-28 120312.jpg

So the math, Crutchfield's Points (Cash) to spend later is 2% of Total (Not including Shipping & Taxes). Sonic's is 10% Of VIP Product Total (Not including Shipping & Taxes).

In House Brands:

Crutchfield has some tools and wiring under their name but that's about it. They don't own RetroSound.

Sonic Electronix owns a few brands which have Speakers, Subwoofers, Boxes, Amps, Wiring, and other wide selection of products. Noteworthy brands are NVX & Belva. NVX is considered on-top of Belva in terms of quality. Belva mainly does Radios & Boxes. NVX mainly does Amps & Subwoofers.

NVX:
Screenshot 2024-04-28 122303.jpg

Belva:
Screenshot 2024-04-28 122429.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom