• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Could different headphones solve my amps noise floor hiss level?

MrHum

Hi, I have a pretty expensive amplifier (rotel RA-1572 MKII) with a somewhat cheap headphones (sennheiser hd560s) but I'm very disappointed that the quality is unbearable.
There's just too much white noise hissing. If you're playing constant music then you don't notice it but as soon as there's any silence in your music it's too noticible.

(this happens on any input including optical. The only way to get it away is to chose a input that isn't connected, but as soon as you connect an input to that then it will start hissing again)

People say that Integrated Amps will never have good headphone amp, that I should just buy a dedicated headphone amp, but I don't want to do that because I enjoy having the subwoofers (connected to the amp) playing while I'm listening to headphones (only for the very low sub frequencies)

so I was htinking, could one solution possibly be to get headphones that are harder to drive?
I should note that the hiss is independent on volume, it's happening whether teh amp is set to min or max

solderdude

Grand Contributor

OP
M

MrHum

Oh great. Ofc super rare and expensive here in New Zealand but I think I'll order that anyway. Even if I do buy new headphones (which I want to do one day) I might still need this product

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
People say that Integrated Amps will never have good headphone amp, that I should just buy a dedicated headphone amp, but I don't want to do that because I enjoy having the subwoofers (connected to the amp) playing while I'm listening to headphones (only for the very low sub frequencies)

It's most likely the Rotel doesn't have a headphone amplifier at all. Most likely the output is derived from the power amp (spkr) outputs and dropped by resistors. That can explain the residual noise, but the observation an unterminated input is quiet suggests you also have residual noise creeping in via the preamp stage as well.

Rotels are not renowned for absolute silence, nor do they sport great overall S/N numbers, but they are very nicely made and offer good value for money.

I would buy a headphone amplifier with excellent measured performance and leave it at that.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have RCA outputs, the Topping l30 II is amazing how whisper quiet the noise floor is. It would be a huge improvement if one is available locally.

Top Bottom