• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Correcting for imperfect placement

Tahoe

I have a set of speakers sitting on a wide fireplace mantel, around 7" away from the front (irregular stone) wall.
My speakers recommend 2' spacing, but the room just doesn't allow ideal placement.
I have software room correction in place, but are there physical treatment solutions I should be applying behind the speaker to correct for the cramped placement?
Thanks all for your input!

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The distance from speaker to wall is less critical than manufacturers claim. It does matter, but close vs far both have upsides.

What matters most is symmetry within the room. Your speakers and listening distance should be symmetrical, yet the distance from the speaker baffle to each surface (ceiling and floor included) should be different, so that SBIR (speaker boundary inteference response) does not overlap. SBIR is basically what happens to the energy leaving the baffle. The closer your speakers are to a boundary surface, the higher in frequency the reflections are, and the easier they become to absorb.

7" is enough space for a good amount of absorption, you could almost entirely absorb the front wall SBIR. A piece of 5.5" mineral wool with 1.5" air gap would have 80% absorption until around 225Hz, and 50% absorption until around 125Hz. If you don't want to build your own panels, companies like GIK sell similar products, albeit at a 2-3x markup.

Room correction software can correct frequency response but not the physical domain, meaning the reflections still reach your ears and you just pull down the on-axis sound to compensate. Some reflected energy is a good thing, but you want to eliminate the problematic reflections, which in a typical room occur below 400Hz.

Cote Dazur

I have a set of speakers sitting on a wide fireplace mantel, around 7" away from the front
We have a lot of very knowledgeable people at ASR, some pictures of your room, what the speaker models are and a layout of the rom with seating position, will help those expert in giving you better advice.

eddantes

If on FP mantle - they may be too high.

Vertical directivity in a non-concentric speaker usually isn't as good as horizontal, so it is best to keep them at ear level. for example.

1672159632405.png

Top Bottom