• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Coolest" Song You've Heard

F

freemansteve

I have hundreds of very cool songs and cannot choose between them.

If the question was "what was the coolest song you played in the last 24 hours", then it would be "Janitor of Lunacy" 1970, by Nico.

Last edited by a moderator:

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In 1954, singer Peggy Lee (born Norma Deloris Egstrom in Sweden) and Victor Young composed "Johnny Guitar" for the soundtrack of the movie Johnny Guitar starring Joan Crawford. The song played in the movie was sung by Peggy Lee. Normally, when one thinks of Peggy Lee, "Fever" or "Black Coffee" spring to mind. However, "Johnny Guitar" seemingly enjoyed a resurgence of popularity a few years ago, thanks to its use in the video game "Fallout: New Vegas". The Wikipedia page on the song lists some notable covers, and there are dozens more on YouTube including one of a nine year-old Googoosh covering the song in her first starring role! But over the years, I have come across only a couple of covers that rival the atmospheric cool of the original. The melody is from Enrique Granados' Spanish Dance No. 5.

Donna Summer's "Love To Love You Baby" propelled me through puberty in the space of about a week:

This recording of Helen Merrill singing a laid-back cool rendition of the Brel/McKuen song "If You Go Away" is my favorite version of the song in English. Stan Getz' sax and the imagery of actress Virna Lisi does not hurt either.

"Janitor of Lunacy" 1970, by Nico
Nice choice. Now that you remind me of it, the VU/Nico CD with the Andy Warhol cover art was one of my favorite LPs/CDs during the 1980s and '90s.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
In 1954, singer Peggy Lee (born Norma Deloris Egstrom in Sweden) and Victor Young composed "Johnny Guitar" for the soundtrack of the movie Johnny Guitar starring Joan Crawford. The song played in the movie was sung by Peggy Lee. Normally, when one thinks of Peggy Lee, "Fever" or "Black Coffee" spring to mind. However, "Johnny Guitar" seemingly enjoyed a resurgence of popularity a few years ago, thanks to its use in the video game "Fallout: New Vegas". The Wikipedia page on the song lists some notable covers, and there are dozens more on YouTube including one of a nine year-old Googoosh covering the song in her first starring role! But over the years, I have come across only a couple of covers that rival the atmospheric cool of the original.

Makes me think of Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain. Saying this album took some inspiration from that time period would be an understatement :)

Anyways, back to cool:

Led Zeppelin - When the Levee Breaks

Top Bottom