• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Confused by HiFiMan HE400 line

pk500

Hi all:

I'm looking to dip my toes into planars, but I don't have $350 right now for HiFiMan Sundaras. So, I'm looking at their little brothers, the HE400 series.

But there seem to be about four active versions of the HE400 series, and damned if I know the differences besides price. The versions:

HE4xx -- The Drop version. Quality is a worry with all HiFiMan products, but even more so with the Drop version. $180.

HE400i -- The old version, with the suspension headband. $185.

HE400i 2020 -- The 2020 version, with the padded Deva headband. These may not be available anymore in North America, as they're no longer listed on Amazon for US sale, and HiFiMan's website says they only can sell them to the EU. $169.

HE400SE -- This appears to be the latest member of the HE400 family, with a price of $149.

What are the sonic differences between these cans? Are there fit and comfort differences between the suspension headbands of the 4xx and old 400i and the padded, Deva-style 2020 versions of the 400i and new 400SE?

Anyone have any experience with the new 400SE?

Thanks in advance for answers to any or all of these questions.

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
There was also the 400S, wich I don't think is available anymore (though you might find it on eBay or something), and the original HE-400 of course, but that's been gone for quite a while now.
All of these seem to have different drivers.

I couldn't find a good measurement of the 400SE, but Oratory measured the 400i 2016 and 2020 and the 4XX: index/list_of_presets - oratory1990 (reddit.com)
They're not all that different in terms of FR, the 4XX looks best to me, but not by much.
Innerfidelity measured the old 400S (though with a different rig, so not directly comparable): AutoEq/results/innerfidelity/innerfidelity_harman_over-ear_2018/HIFIMAN HE400S at master · jaakkopasanen/AutoEq · GitHub
Solderdude measured the 400S and the 2016 400i (flat plate, so FR not comparable to other measurements), technically neither one seems too impressive. Though I have to say that I liked the 400i 2016 when I heard it.

I quite like the original suspension headband construction on my 35X, but just from looking at it, the newer style doesn't look bad either. They all seem to have about the same pad size, small inner diameter but soft and deep.

Top Bottom