• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Computer Power Supplies

zenmastering

This site has been a good resource for several years:

https://silentpcreview.com/categories/

That should be plenty I think.

Oh dude, that would take all the fun out of it. ;) Cost isn't really a factor here, short of catastrophe this build should take me to the cemetery. LOL Box I'm on now I built in 2008. I'll probably reuse the same case, a monster CoolerMaster Cosmos with tons of room for a huge passive CPU cooler and sound deadening material on the side panels, see below. That's kind of where I'm hanging, wondering how big a CPU I can run using one of these passive coolers. Just for giggles, I wonder if the Silverstone HE02 would handle my current 95watt Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield Quad-Core 2.83 GHz LGA 775 95W? This review says it should???
https://www.fullysilentpcs.com/2020/04/04/the-best-fanless-cpu-cooler-showdown/?v=7516fd43adaa
I never stress this CPU too much, highest I ever see is around a 20% usage playing a 5.1 SACD file while surfing the net at the same time

<SNIPPED>

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

bennetng

Major Contributor
I've been using a <$50 FSP power supply for 5 years and the main source of noise is from my neighbours' air conditioners. Honestly for audio, hardware and thermal requirement are very modest. If form factor is not a concern, the cheapest and most flexible way is a mATX build. Get a low TDP CPU with iGPU like Intel i3 or Ryzen G, an mATX board with m.2 slots, then just reuse the existing case and things are done. Optionally, get a slightly better CPU cooler with a bigger heatsink if one desires. Things will only get noisy if the PC is too dusty, the CPU cooler is badly installed, or dried thermal compound if you don't replace it for several years.

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor
Delta makes the best ones IMHO, Seasonic tend to have some quirk or reliability issue, My last one just went dead in 2 years for no reason EVGA 1050 GS, should have gone with leadex super flower based 1050G2.
The Seasonic I recently bought came with a 12-year warranty. That's obviously no guarantee it won't fail, but it does suggest a fair bit of confidence on their part.

lennard

I am using a Thermaltake Smart Pro RGB 650W 80+ Bronze and I am happy with it. Its the perfect budget power supply

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Computer power supplies are back to normal stock levels although there are no super deals on close outs. I am starting a new build tomorrow with an intel I-5 10th generation (6 cores/ 12 threads) CPU and a Thermaltake cube mATX case. Mrs. T's desktop literally burned up as a component on the motherboard caught fire so I'm giving her mine and moving on. It was as exciting as it was disappointing to watch the demise of that 7 year old motherboard. I'm up shit creek if the data doesn't come off that POS.

Top Bottom