• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Compression drivers?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Relatively uncommon -- but for those who wish for lifelike dynamics and (perhaps) some directivity control -- compression drivers & (yes...) horns have their charms.
Unfortunately, a good compression driver requires both brute strength and delicacy in design and construction (like a huge off-road truck with a high-performance, turbocharged Diesel engine, perhaps) -- which, practically speaking, means they don't come cheap. I don't think you'll find many injection-molded compression drivers ;)
On the bright side, good compression drivers, coupled to good horns, can bring both brute strength and delicacy to the reproduction of reproduced sound, too.

I resisted for a long time, but I've been a convert for a couple of decades now.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I love there look, i love there build. If i win in a lottery i need two of them, and two 15" subis, thats it, endgame for me.

Here here.

Once you go compression and 15 inch you can't go back.

Next would be even larger horn!!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Relatively uncommon -- but for those who wish for lifelike dynamics and (perhaps) some directivity control -- compression drivers & (yes...) horns have their charms.
Unfortunately, a good compression driver requires both brute strength and delicacy in design and construction (like a huge off-road truck with a high-performance, turbocharged Diesel engine, perhaps) -- which, practically speaking, means they don't come cheap. I don't think you'll find many injection-molded compression drivers ;)
On the bright side, good compression drivers, coupled to good horns, can bring both brute strength and delicacy to the reproduction of reproduced sound, too.

I resisted for a long time, but I've been a convert for a couple of decades now.

Unless you have a crossover with a time delay control what you show is almost impossible to cross-over. You have approximately 0.6mS delay between the two horns.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec S360 makes use of a compression driver: https://www.genelec.com/s360a

BF59767C-C7C3-4FF2-AB7C-CCBAFE21CF39.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor

Horn..drivers and so on..Macho, smf speakers.:)

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The power response and distortion levels I have seen from Joseph Crowe, using compression drivers in combination with wrap around horns look to me to be unbeatable. It costs but hard to argue against the measured results.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My plan for compression drivers would be a S360 look-a-like with:

- BMS 5530ND compression driver
- XT1086 horn
- B&C 10NW76 or Beyma 10MC700Nd woofer in a leaky enclosure for directivity control