• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coaxial vs Unity horn

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had never heard of a “unity horn” speaker before but was recently looking at some Yorkville U215’s. Haven’t heard them but how do such horns compare to something like a coaxial driver? Are they just built for high output pro audio stuff? Can they give similar performance to coaxial speakers?

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Danley Unity horn sums output from multiple drivers, and multiple pass bands from a single source point. Coaxial drivers have a narrowing "focus" as frequency rises where the Unity horn is (essentially) uniform.

You'll need significant distance from the Yorkville to get the best effect, and a large enough room to appreciate bass response.

The inventor, Tom Danley, is a frequent contributor here and has recently announced his Hyperion speaker with modern materials and a home user in mind. While the U15 is a bargain secondhand, but it is *not* the newest manifestation of the design.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/evidence-based-speaker-designs.6441/

See post #1, near the bottom.

FWIW - In my normal sized room I tried larger Traditional horns with BMS drivers and bass cabs. They were difficult to balance at close listening distances. The JBL 708p above a DIY Bill Fitz Maurice Tuba HT fits my Floorplan, blends well at the listening position and sounds musical.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Coaxial drivers have a narrowing "focus" as frequency rises where the Unity horn is (essentially) uniform.
I'm pretty sure the best coaxials with a sizeable enough waveguide can solve this problem, as seen in Genelec's 8351B review. I'm quite impressed with the concept of the unity/synergy horn, but I wonder about those HOM problems that Geddes talked about, when compared to coaxials with gentler waveguides.

Last edited:

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's a term with significant regional variations! What's the Texachusetts interpretation?
Big enough you need not leave to change your mind?
Not so large as to require a map to the exit.

(I meant to imply the listeners sit outside the nearfield, more than 1 meter away. Furthermore, the rear boundary of the room should be a similar distance from the listener.)

Top Bottom