• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord Mojo2 - how does it work with HD650?

somy

Hi, I currently have Chord Mojo2, it works well with my OG Ananda (I sold it now because lack of bass impact).
Now I'm considering Ananda Stealth or HD650, I do like the clarity of Ananda but HD650 seems to be more balanced.
My understanding is HD650 is much harder to drive comparing to Ananda, is Mojo2 able to drive HD650 and produce good sound?
Anybody who have tried the combo can give me some advice? Thank you!

JaMaSt

Forum Donor

Chord Mojo 2 Listening Tests
As usual, I started with my Sennheiser HD-650 headphone to test high impedance response. Sound was wonderful and there was enough volume/dynamics to bring out the bass out of this headphone.

OP
S

somy

Thanks I have read the review but not sure 70 milliwatts will cut it hence my question...

mmmdc

Look up the impedance and sensitivity and plug them into a calculator.

No need to make a guessing game out of it.

OP
S

somy

Look up the impedance and sensitivity and plug them into a calculator.

No need to make a guessing game out of it.
Thank you, based on the calculation, it requires 2V, 11.96mw, 5.99mA, now the question how do I know what Mojo2 is able to drive it? I read the review here and it says mojo2 is delivering 70mW under 300om load, however it doesn’t seem to indicate whether it’s 2V or not..

mmmdc

Thank you, based on the calculation, it requires 2V, 11.96mw, 5.99mA, now the question how do I know what Mojo2 is able to drive it? I read the review here and it says mojo2 is delivering 70mW under 300om load, however it doesn’t seem to indicate whether it’s 2V or not..
If it delivers 70mW into 300 Ohm it delivers over 2V.

It's just Ohm's law. The power is a function of voltage and current, and how much voltage and current you need depends on the impedance and sensitivity (and volume).

In other words, if your amp delivers a specific amount of power into a specific impedance it will deliver a specific voltage as well, since P=V²/R.

The Chord Mojo 2 is explicitly mentioned on the website I've linked by the way.

iGude

(I sold it now because lack of bass impact).
Now I'm considering Ananda Stealth or HD650
HD650 doesn‘t feature bass impact or slam or rumble or whatever one might call it.
You may improve it with eq but it will never come near those headphones that feature it naturally like some Audeze for example.
Been there, done that..

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is one extra issue, you should consider.
Do you intend on EQing?
If you do, then the balance of power output can get uneven.
Meaning, if you boost the bass, whether you use M2 EQ buttons, or a software parametric, you may reach peak power sooner than you should (if using M2 EQ buttons) , or not reach it at all if using a parametric Software EQ.
At any rate, M2 has plenty of power and 650 is efficient.
If you don't go crazy with your EQ, its gonna be happy sailing.
FWIW , I never understood the love affair with the HD series !
I rather listen to a Sundara, any day.

Nutul

Based on Ohm's law, with the data we have 70mW @ 300 ohms, it delivers ~4.6V, more than double you are seeking confirmation for...
I, too, am more of a Sundara guy, but am keen to believe you'll get plenty of bass out of the 650s with the Mojo.

Top Bottom