• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC recommendation with my Bakoon Amp

nzkiwi

Hi Guys,

I currently use a Bakoon HDA-5230 Portable amp to drive my Senn hd600, Grado rs2x, LCD-3. I really like this AMP alot, I was using a Mojo2 for the DAC side until I was stolen on a plane, another story... anyway I was visiting NY a few weeks back and went to a local Audio store to see if they had another Mojo2, the Owner suggested for my Bakoon I use a standalone DAC as the AMP/DAC combo wasn't the best for sound quality. I'm new to the Headphone Audio world, so my technical understanding in very limited. Here were I live in New Zealand there's not alot of choice to Demo, So I really have gone off reading on here. So before I order another Mojo2 I thought I'd ask. It doesn't have to be too portable, Somewhat I guess. All my listening is at the house, However I do listening from my Macbook and move within rooms in the house, anywhere my wife isn't watching TV. I use Qobuz for all my music now and listen to mainly Jazz, Blues and soft rock. Hope this helps give a picture of my Listening world.

Regards, Scott.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Guys,

I currently use a Bakoon HDA-5230 Portable amp to drive my Senn hd600, Grado rs2x, LCD-3. I really like this AMP alot, I was using a Mojo2 for the DAC side until I was stolen on a plane, another story... anyway I was visiting NY a few weeks back and went to a local Audio store to see if they had another Mojo2, the Owner suggested for my Bakoon I use a standalone DAC as the AMP/DAC combo wasn't the best for sound quality. I'm new to the Headphone Audio world, so my technical understanding in very limited. Here were I live in New Zealand there's not alot of choice to Demo, So I really have gone off reading on here. So before I order another Mojo2 I thought I'd ask. It doesn't have to be too portable, Somewhat I guess. All my listening is at the house, However I do listening from my Macbook and move within rooms in the house, anywhere my wife isn't watching TV. I use Qobuz for all my music now and listen to mainly Jazz, Blues and soft rock. Hope this helps give a picture of my Listening world.

Regards, Scott.
Have you tried the 3.5mm out of the Mac into the Bakoon? Should work just fine

OP
N

nzkiwi

Have you tried the 3.5mm out of the Mac into the Bakoon? Should work just fine
Hi, Yes I started out using the Bakoon that way, then I tried a friends Mojo2 and could tell the difference, better and So I purchased one, I then played with USB vs Toslink and Toslink sounded slightly cleaner. Cheers. My Macbook Pro is older, mid 2015. So that might be partly why the Mojo2 sounded better as I have read the New Macbooks DAC is better. Cheers.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, Yes I started out using the Bakoon that way, then I tried a friends Mojo2 and could tell the difference, better and So I purchased one, I then played with USB vs Toslink and Toslink sounded slightly cleaner. Cheers. My Macbook Pro is older, mid 2015. So that might be partly why the Mojo2 sounded better as I have read the New Macbooks DAC is better. Cheers.
The Topping D10s should suit your needs as a compact standalone DAC. However, if you enjoyed the "sound" of the Mojo2 and travel (so the batter powered form factor is useful) then just get another.

Most here would say any competent DAC in 2023 should have no discernible sound so you could even just get an Apple dongle from your nearest apple store/ online. If output levels are matched to the Mojo going into the Bakoon , shouldnt be an audible difference. But go with whatever you like.

OP
N

nzkiwi

The Topping D10s should suit your needs as a compact standalone DAC. However, if you enjoyed the "sound" of the Mojo2 and travel (so the batter powered form factor is useful) then just get another.

Most here would say any competent DAC in 2023 should have no discernible sound so you could even just get an Apple dongle from your nearest apple store/ online. If output levels are matched to the Mojo going into the Bakoon , shouldnt be an audible difference. But go with whatever you like.
You really have me thinking now, the mojo2 here in NZ is 1149, so not cheap and has alot of features I'm not and wont use.... When I travel I have my Mac, and on a plane I have an older DAP and IEMs for the plane, So I'm really glad I posted. I appreciate your Input, Cheers

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You really have me thinking now, the mojo2 here in NZ is 1149, so not cheap and has alot of features I'm not and wont use.... When I travel I have my Mac, and on a plane I have an older DAP and IEMs for the plane, So I'm really glad I posted. I appreciate your Input, Cheers
No worries. Seriously, for around $10 US try the apple dongle, its only 1v output so the Bakoon will be quieter at any given position on the volume dial than with the Mojo at full output and likely than from the mac 3.5mm but if you have plenty of headroom on the amp, shouldnt be a problem and vastly more "portable"- can be used with your phone too (it comes in lightning and usb c variants)

Top Bottom