• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chinese Purifi 1ET400A Clone amp ???

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Please refrain from spreading stereotypical impressions, Chinese manufacturers aren't just about cheaping out and copying others' designs, there are original designs reviewed here which turns in above-average performance at acceptable prices.

Besides, looking at the measurements, at least the (reverse) engineering on this particular clone was sound. Yes, this absolutely goes against what intellectual property is all about, but this device can be a friendly introduction to high-performance, high power class-D designs for local enthusiasts who are a bit short on budget, some of which will, hopefully, convert to "OG" purifi or hypex when they have more change in their pocket.

With all that said, I would agree that it's a dim move for the company to try selling them outside the country, especially since module/machine pricing for real purifi modules are more reasonable, and budgets much less constrained compared to within the country. Leaving this clone uncompetitive in pricing, and short on originality.

You kinda contradict yourself there, buddy.

Which is it? It's OK to copy it as long as they do a really good job and just sell it in China to poor audiophiles?

And yes, China is all about copying. They are the best in the world at it. Give them credit for that! They copy everything. Cars, watches, clothes, shoes, transistors, capacitors, iPhones, headphones, tools, etc.

Massimo

Please refrain from spreading stereotypical impressions, Chinese manufacturers aren't just about cheaping out and copying others' designs, there are original designs reviewed here which turns in above-average performance at acceptable prices.

China is the number one source for counterfeit products in the wold. This is not my impression. It is fact.

JSmith

Master Contributor
It's not all made by a company from China;
German Weimar WIMA low loss small volume film capacitor

Taiwan-made gold-plated, RCA and Swiss imported (NEUTRIK) XLR input sockets, carbon fiber gold-plated and plated binding posts
:cool:

This is a bit of a mystery... nothing on the LM Audio page;
Another version here;
This one refers also to Hypex as well as Purifi;
Class D Digital Power Amplifier Purifi, Hypex, 1et400a, LM, UCD, MIN400A
Refer to the latest technology class D module 1ET400A, high-precision THD+N and IMD indicators, a better sense of hearing.

It is guaranteed that all parameters are tested with AP (audio analyzer), and you are also welcome to use them for comparison tests.

S42afbb00eee54d7bb6d0031df53e576cv.jpg

JSmith

Massimo

And yes, China is all about copying. They are the best in the world at it. Give them credit for that! They copy everything. Cars, watches, clothes, shoes, transistors, capacitors, iPhones, headphones, tools, etc.

They are the best at copying almost everything ... but not wine. A big win for Penfolds recently:

Mario Sanchez

All I'm saying is that, I see no need to fling acrimonious comments at this device or its manufacturer, since it was made to fill a niche that only exists within a certain geographical region, and outside of the region is anything but competitive (so one don't need to worry about "cost-cutting cheapos evicting true innovators"). I think opinions here are representative of the general consumer opinion on these "clone" devices - low willingness of purchase. It's an open market, so if that's what most consumers think, the clone's not gonna sell well, if at all, outside of China. Have some faith in the principles of market economy, and let it do its work.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I see no need to fling acrimonious comments at this device or its manufacturer
Well if this company is copying IP, like the Purify module, then it is morally inappropriate.

From the picture I posted above... it doesn't look like a real Purifi module either and mentioning Purifi and Hypex as well in the advertising is poor. At the very least they should not be using these products names and just selling it as generic. Otherwise, the measurements appear stellar, so something I would consider buying... if they weren't trying to ride the coat tails of other companies. Why not just sell it as is, a well measuring class D amp?

JSmith

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
China is the number one source for counterfeit products in the wold. This is not my impression. It is fact.

It's also the number one source for electronic products in the world, and the number one manufacturing country in the world, period. Also facts.

I am not in any way condoning counterfeit products. But it is not surprising that the most counterfeits come from the country with the most manufacturing, yes?

jtgofish

There is nothing wrong with some of these Chinese copies.The best of them involve copies of older products on which patents have expired and some of these are very close copies of the originals.The Dartzeel NHB 1080 ,Naim NAP 200 and 250 and Mark Levinson copies for example .
I have used an Usher R 1.5 amplifier for years which is a Nelson Pass design Threshold copy made in Taiwan.Nelson Pass has commented on those amps and stated that the patents have expired so it is perfectly fine for somebody to manufacture them.The build quality is also probably better than the original Thresholds.

Mario Sanchez

Well if this company is copying IP, like the Purify module, then it is morally inappropriate.

From the picture I posted above... it doesn't look like a real Purifi module either and mentioning Purifi and Hypex as well in the advertising is poor. At the very least they should not be using these products names and just selling it as generic. Otherwise, the measurements appear stellar, so something I would consider buying... if they weren't trying to ride the coat tails of other companies. Why not just sell it as is, a well measuring class D amp?

JSmith

I think the whole selling point about clones is that they're "big names for less", hence they have got to mention the original design somewhere in their product advertisement.
And yes, clones are morally questionable and a violation of intellectual property, while I understand some consumers' interest in them, I personally would never touch these clones. That, plus most cloned designs I've seen lack proper quality control or is just badly (reverse) engineered.

delta76

Major Contributor

JSmith
because it will not sell very well. by using those keywords it will be much more likely their amp appears in google searches, and almost guaranteed to appears in aliexpress searches. I hate that practices though, but for them it's only the sale numbers that matter

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I am not in any way condoning counterfeit products. But it is not surprising that the most counterfeits come from the country with the most manufacturing, yes?

Good point, as always @tmtomh :)

Sokel

Master Contributor
The worst thing about all this copying is that they play with poor people desires.That's absolutely shameful.

It's one thing to get the performance you want at a lesser price because of the working conditions of a country it's a whole other thing to play you as a child and play with your desire to see your favorite brand on your rack.

And I'm not talking only about amps,but everything,cables,binding posts,etc.
Fake plays with your soul,don't let them.

RandomEar

From the picture I posted above... it doesn't look like a real Purifi module either
I wasn't sure, initially. At first glance, it looks like two 1ET400a with a custom input buffer board and some random caps on a slim PCB between the modules.

This "clone" as posted above by @JSmith :
Purify_clone.jpg

Original Purifi build from @maty shown here:
Purify.jpg

But now, after looking closely, I tend to agree. The only difference I can spot is the lack of any QR code sticker on the clone. Those two white marked areas on the PCB around the big coil on each board don't exist on some Purifi boards, so that's not a good indicator of a clone. See here, for example. But there should be one or two QR code stickers on the module and there are none on this suspected clone. Also, the crossed out white "Pb" marking (for RoHS compliance, I think?) below the big coil is missing. But I do wonder why they missed that and got everything else perfect.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I wasn't sure, initially. At first glance, it looks like two 1ET400a with a custom input buffer board and some random caps on a slim PCB between the modules.

This "clone" as posted above by @JSmith :
View attachment 225347

Original Purifi build from @maty shown here:
View attachment 225348

But now, after looking closely, I tend to agree. The only difference I can spot is the lack of any QR code sticker on the clone. Those two white marked areas on the PCB around the big coil on each board don't exist on some Purifi boards, so that's not a good indicator of a clone. See here, for example. But there should be one or two QR code stickers on the module and there are none on this suspected clone. Also, the crossed out white "Pb" marking (for RoHS compliance, I think?) below the big coil is missing. But I do wonder why they missed that and got everything else perfect.
The area under the red capacitors seems different,but blurry photos,who knows.

rustydoglim

Why do you say it is a clone? Purifi Audio provides amp modules, like Hypex or IcePower. Do you guys know that the volume price (> 1K) per unit is only a fraction of the demo price? So this finished product is likely the "real thing". At $800, there is still more than >100% profit margin (I would guess the cost about $250.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Besides, looking at the measurements, at least the (reverse) engineering on this particular clone was sound. Yes, this absolutely goes against what intellectual property is all about, but this device can be a friendly introduction to high-performance, high power class-D designs for local enthusiasts who are a bit short on budget, some of which will, hopefully, convert to "OG" purifi or hypex when they have more change in their pocket.

With all that said, I would agree that it's a dim move for the company to try selling them outside the country, especially since module/machine pricing for real purifi modules are more reasonable, and budgets much less constrained compared to within the country. Leaving this clone uncompetitive in pricing, and short on originality.
The issue with China isn't whether its engineers and manufacturers can produce products of the highest quality -- yes, they can when they want to.

But first, of course, not all Chinese makers are out to build or sell "products of the highest quality". Many are cynically are out to make cheap junk that can be sold to suckers at home and abroad.

Secondly and more egregiously, the covert policy of the Chinese government is to encourage theft of intellectual property and subvert copywrite protections. In general the Chinese government cares nothing at all about normal international rules or fair play; pronouncements they constantly make to the contrary ought to be regarded as simple lies.

OP
D

Dmaumau

Why do you say it is a clone? Purifi Audio provides amp modules, like Hypex or IcePower. Do you guys know that the volume price (> 1K) per unit is only a fraction of the demo price? So this finished product is likely the "real thing". At $800, there is still more than >100% profit margin (I would guess the cost about $250.
Just because the seller clearly states REPLICA in it´s add.

rustydoglim

Might be fake, might not be fake? Seriously??

It's marketed as a "Replica Hypex Purifi 1ET400A"
It could also mean that the finished product is the same as the Purifi amp (poor use of English words, we see that often in Chinese ad and manual). From a casual search of Alibaba.com, if someone has cloned the amp module, we would see a lot of similar amps. It doesn't make sense to clone (that takes some serious effort) the amp module and try to sell a finished product.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Note that at the moment this thing is € 1400 :rolleyes: That's a normal price for a genuine Purify, let alone a clone...

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If a company is dishonest enough to steal a trademark, then I can't see how you'd trust them not to steal from you and provide shoddy and unreliable merchandise.

This is clearly trademark theft, with trade dress thrown in for extra dishonesty.

Top Bottom